What's new

Questions about receiver choice (1 Viewer)

Alex L M

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
I am currently in the process of building my home theater. So far, I have just a 2.1 set up picked out and all I want to know is if the receiver I've picked will be able to handle this 2.1 set up without being too weak/too powerful, while also leaving room to add more speakers in the future.

Speakers - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RNZ6BXA...colid=7OQQFNCBNSWR&coliid=I19T687WPXGRL&psc=1

Sub - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OFXV5IO...UTF8&colid=7OQQFNCBNSWR&coliid=I1G2NBT2V0MO98

Receiver - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YAO43YG...olid=7OQQFNCBNSWR&coliid=I17RFV5FE47TAO&psc=1

Any advice would also be greatly appreciated.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
The AVR you picked out will do fine just about any speaker you pick. It will be especially fine with the speakers that you linked. Those Klipsch are very efficient at 96dB which means you'll need very little power to get them very loud.

My advice is to try to go listen to some Klipsch if you've never heard them. The horn tweeters they use are either love it or hate and you want to make sure that you're in the first camp before you buy them. I find them to harsh so I shy away from their speakers.

Alex L M

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
Hmm. Can you elaborate on "harsh"? I don't think there's a shop near me with a demo I could listen to. I'm not too picky and definitely open to other options. I want good-great quality bookshelf speakers that aren't going to kick me too hard in the wallet. $400 for a pair would probably be my limit but also would prefer a brand with a decent selection of surround sound speakers for future purchasing.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Harsh as in fatiguing...after a while you're just like turn the tweeter down please. My ears kinda hurt from too much high pitch noise. This vs wow that is very nice and smooth. I can hear the highs but they aren't making me want to put my fingers in my ears.

You'd have to go listen to some horns to really get it...Best Buy usually has a few Klipsch on display you can listen to. You do have to spend some time with them too you can't just give it like 5 mins and call it done. Like I said people are either love it or hate it. I'm not saying they are bad speakers just too much on the high end. Then again there's the opposite end with Pioneer and some Polks who have almost too mellow of a tweeter. A lot of folks like that more mellow sound so it's really subjective as to what you like.

Matching to surrounds is not that big of a deal. You can match them but you don't have to. The bigger question is does a certain set of speakers have a matching center. The center you do want to match to create a seamless soundstage.

At $400 a pair for speakers you can get some good options.
  • KEF Q100 $430 - Fantastic sounding speakers that are slightly over your budget. They go on sale every so often but right now the Black ones are over $100 normal retail so these are still a good deal. If can stretch these are worth it.
  • Boston CS26 $105 ea or the A26 $155 ea - I love the Boston tweeter it's big and smooth very easy to listen to.
  • DefTech ProMonitor 800 $150 ea or the ProMonitor 1000 refurb $155ea - These are some very good sounding speakers in a more compact package. If your local Best Buy has a magnolia room they should have some to listen to.
  • Polk RTi A3 $280 A very overall smooth speaker. Not a high or low monster just a very easy laid back sound.
These are just a few off the top of my head that I've heard/have there are others as well. All of these have a matching center available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks