What's new

Canadian Pacific (1949) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
148091_front.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I'm interested in seeing how this looks restored, being one of the Cinecolor films. I don't know much about the process other than it was cheaper and could be problematic.

MPW-103865.jpg

Last edited:
M

Member 323668

I'm interested in seeing how this looks restored, being one of the Cinecolor films. I don't know much about the process other than it was cheaper and could be problematic.

I presume the Kino transfer being the recent restoration by Torsten Kaiser from the recombined Orange/Red record and the Cyan/Blue record separation masters.

http://cinefacts-forum.kino.de/2407...oo-trail-canadian-pacific-randolph-scott.html

Here is a preview from the final result for download.

http://www.tlefilms.com/cinefacts/CINECOLOR/CARIBOO_TRAIL_STATUS_REPORT_2_H264.mov

Absolutely stunning!

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I have to admit two things: first, that both Cariboo Trail and Canadian Pacific look light years better than they ever have on home video in these new to Blu incarnations, but equally to suggest (A) - Cinecolor was a LOUSY process, especially next to Technicolor (no comparison) and (B) that those expecting pristine grade transfers on either of these catalog titles are in for a whopping disappointment. What you are in for are a pair of very thick, softly focused and generally smoothed (DNR) transfers. Fine detail is weak - period. Colors...well, no subtly here, folks. Flesh is orange, greens are bilious, reds are never true red, and, there's A LOT of teal, again, indigenous to the Cinecolor process.

Unlike the Technicolor two-color processes that photographed both color elements on the same piece of black and white negative, Cinecolor used two films in "bi-pack", meaning that two films were placed emulsion to emulsion. Each film was sensitized and/or filtered to record its appropriate portion of the color spectrum, red or green. Film used in the Cinecolor process was supplied by Eastman Kodak or DuPont. Essentially, any camera capable of handling bi-pack negatives could be used to photograph a Cinecolor film, though some special film movements were made specifically for the task.

But honestly, despite all the obvious and hard earned efforts poured into these transfers, what you get out the other end is a wan ghost flower of what these movies looked like in their original general release. 'Ugly' doesn't begin to describe them. Regrets.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Yes, very soft, and almost seems a pastel color palette. This was my first "Cinecolor" film, and I warmed up to it after a bit. For the age and the process of film, I think it looks fine, although I think "The Cariboo Trail" looks slightly better overall.

Torsten Kaiser

Film Restoration & Preservation
Insider
Real Name
Film Restoration & Preservation
I have to admit two things: first, that both Cariboo Trail and Canadian Pacific look light years better than they ever have on home video in these new to Blu incarnations, but equally to suggest (A) - Cinecolor was a LOUSY process, especially next to Technicolor (no comparison) and (B) that those expecting pristine grade transfers on either of these catalog titles are in for a whopping disappointment. What you are in for are a pair of very thick, softly focused and generally smoothed (DNR) transfers. Fine detail is weak - period. Colors...well, no subtly here, folks. Flesh is orange, greens are bilious, reds are never true red, and, there's A LOT of teal, again, indigenous to the Cinecolor process.
(...)
But honestly, despite all the obvious and hard earned efforts poured into these transfers, what you get out the other end is a wan ghost flower of what these movies looked like in their original general release. 'Ugly' doesn't begin to describe them. Regrets.

With regard to the comments made claiming "DNR" was used, that there is "LOTS of teal" and "what you get out the other end is a wan ghost flower of what these movies looked like in their original general release. 'Ugly' doesn't begin to describe them" I can only say this:

Absolute Nonsense.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I have both discs and think they look great especially compared to what I remember seeing on TV years ago ... both films in murky black and white and the awful color prints shown on WTBS back in the early cable years.

Love the addition of the old Castle Films 8mm versions. Great job and I hope something can be done with FIGHTING MAN OF THE PLAINS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks