What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Holcroft Covenant -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've always been a huge fan of John Frankenheimer's work, but missed The Holcroft Covenant when it arrived back in 1985.

It's a political thriller, or at least seems to be. I'm not certain whether the film simply may not have aged well, but today, at least to me, it almost plays like a satire of the genre.

Regardless of my feelings, the new Blu-ray from Kino Lorber, via MGM, is a gorgeous affair.

Generally beautiful color, full, rich grain structure, and an extremely highly resolved image. I looked for sharpening, but there was nothing problematic or noticeable.

An interesting film. How do others feel it plays today?

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I agree with everything you've said here. I wasn't expecting much from a catalog title like this thru MGM / Kino Clsssics but there is really no way this film will ever look better, the transfer is really great. I'd give it a solid 5 too the image quality is that good.

And yeah it is always years in between when I watch this film and this time around I kept thinkng why would Caine be doing any of this! If immediately be like yep ok I need to get back to my job here haha I have a life :) but Caine makes u keep watching.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I agree with everything you've said here. I wasn't expecting much from a catalog title like this thru MGM / Kino Clsssics but there is really no way this film will ever look better, the transfer is really great. I'd give it a solid 5 too the image quality is that good.

And yeah it is always years in between when I watch this film and this time around I kept thinkng why would Caine be doing any of this! If immediately be like yep ok I need to get back to my job here haha I have a life :) but Caine makes u keep watching.

Is his father the actor in the Batman films?

Same name.

Major resemblance.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
As a huge Ludlum fan, I was tremendously disappointed by this film when it was released. Extremely condensed version of the novel. Satire? Maybe just laughable is a better description IMO. The final shot....OMG.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'd buy it for the Frankenheimer commentary alone. Damn, he made some great movies!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks