What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Dillinger -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
John Milius' Dillinger is an interesting film, with a terrific performance by Warren Oates.

There's a great deal that it has in common with Arthur Penn's Bonnie & Clyde, which came half a decade previous, and with a far higher budget. One could almost look at Dillinger as a sort of homage.

Both are absolutely worth your time.

You can read about the film elsewhere, and people visit here to find out what it looks like.

Arrow has released the Blu-ray, based upon an image harvest from an IP, and it's generally a terrific looking presentation. Grain is at the fore, but it always has been. Color is, with few exceptions, superb, with full, rich blacks.

Audio is clean mono, presented in Dolby Digital.

The release contains worthwhile extras.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Grain is at the fore, but it always has been.

Yes, that's how I remember the print I saw when the film first came out. I don't think it was a good print so I'll be interested to watch this disc.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Because others may wonder what I was wondering . . .

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

• Brand new 2K restoration of the film from original film materials
  • High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray and Standard Definition DVD presentations of the film
  • Original mono soundtrack (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Audio commentary by Stephen Prince, author of Savage Cinema and Screening Violence
  • Newly-filmed interview with producer Lawrence Gordon
  • Newly-filmed interview with director of photography Jules Brenner
  • Newly-filmed interview with composer Barry De Vorzon
  • Stills gallery
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Sean Phillips
  • Collector s booklet containing new writing by Kim Newman on fictional portrayals of John Dillinger, plus an on-set report containing interviews with writer-director John Milius and others, illustrated with original production stills

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Is the IP for Dillinger a 35mm or 16mm IP? I understand that the movie was shot in 16mm with the Eclair NPR. I trust that it was standard 16mm and not Super 16, but I cannot find any information.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Spun this one a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Worth your time if you can find it at a good price.

macdaddy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
One of my favorites, but rather expensive on a limited budget. Arrow blus usually don't go on sale so I'm on the fence. However it stars the great Warren Oates which could be a tipping point!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One of my favorites, but rather expensive on a limited budget. Arrow blus usually don't go on sale so I'm on the fence. However it stars the great Warren Oates which could be a tipping point!

Arrow generally funds their own scans, color, cleanup. All very expensive for a limited license.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Very definitely a kind of Bonnie & Clyde clone - complete with use of We're in the Money to similar effect - and not remotely accurate to real events, though Warren Oates is quite well cast, and Harry Dean Stanton as well. Ben Johnson is also a hoot in his portrayal of Melvin Purvis, reimagining the clean-cut 30-year-old lawman as a 55-year-old mustachioed, cigar-chomping curmudgeon. In many ways, the film's depiction of events couldn't be further from the reality, but it's still a fun little ride. Won't likely be paying the asking price to own it on BD, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks