Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
matt-hough has published a new article.

Julia Blu-ray Review

juliatop-150x150.jpg

Whether the recollections imparted in Fred Zinnemann’s eloquent and exquisite Julia are fact-based or fictional, there’s no denying that this...
Continue reading the original article.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Matt, very astute review. This is a movie I saw once when it came out and admired very much. I must revisit it soon. It also brought back memories of having seen Nesbitt, Robards, Redgrave and Streep on Broadway.
A quibble, though. The correct spelling of the word is vise, not vice.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
A fine review, which went a long way towards repairing the damage Ms Redgrave inflicted on her own film by her ill-advised Oscar acceptance speech/political rant - a performance (i.e. rant) that merited an instant rebuke by ceremony presenter/playwright Paddy Chayefsky.

Puzzled as to why you revised the initially correct spelling of "vice-like" to the meaningless "vise-like". Please revert this to its former, correct, incarnation; and in the process please also attend to the correction of the following spelling errors:

"color" - presumably you had "colour" in mind
"mesmerizes" - mesmerises
"formalized" - formalised
etc.

My compliments on your correct usage of the oft-amputated "Dialogue".

[baffled readers: please refer to earlier posts on this thread]

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
My apologies to you, Matt, for leading you astray; and my thanks to you, Ramin, for setting me straight on the spelling of the word. It is a fine review, and Redgrave deserved the award.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
My apologies to you, Matt, for leading you astray; and my thanks to you, Ramin, for setting me straight on the spelling of the word. It is a fine review, and Redgrave deserved the award.

Jose, I trust you recognised the tongue-in-cheek nature of my post. Clearly, "vise" is the correct US spelling variant of the original English "vice", so both are fine.

To be clear, the performance of Ms Redgrave rebuked by Paddy Chayefsky, was that in her Oscar acceptance speech, not in the film - I've updated my post to make that distinction clear.

Both Vanessa Redgrave and Jason Robards richly deserved their accolades in my opinion.

"We have really everything in common with America nowadays except, of course, language".
(Oscar Wilde - The Canterville Ghost)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
You are right, Ramin. Something told me my instincts were right. I checked my OED, and then an American dictionary. Oh, well, Colour by Technicolor. That always baffled me in my growing years. I will say, though, that I think Redgrave's speech was complimentary to the Academy, considering that Kahane's cohorts were fanning the flames outside the venue; it was Chayefsky's speech that was a rant, imo. But we should not continue this line of argument. A film and performances which richly deserve to be seen. I hope Matt's review prompt other people to buy the film and enjoy it the way we do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks