What's new

Yamaha RX-V677 or Onkyo TX-NR646 (1 Viewer)

Pyro2488

Auditioning
Real Name
Raj
I'm new to av receivers and I was considering to buy a 7.2 channel av receiver but I don't have the knowledge on how to set it up or choose the right speakers for it. I live in Fiji so there aren't many stores that sell av receivers. There are only two stores that sell them. I have only two brand of av receivers to choose from and they are Yamaha RX-V677 and Onkyo TX-NR646. The stores that sell Yamaha and Onkyo are totally different companies. If I buy the Yamaha receiver then I have to set it up myself and also choose the speakers which are compatible with it. If I get the Onkyo receiver then the store that sells it will help me by setting up the receiver at home and also give me compatible speakers for it. I've read on Amazon that a lot of Onkyo receivers have faulty HDMI boards that create problems for the receiver. The Onkyo TX-NR646 costs around $1650 while the Yamaha RX-V677 costs around $1200. I don't want to regret later on If the Onkyo receiver starts having technical problems. There are no Onkyo service centers here either and the company that sells Onkyo receivers in Fiji gives only one year warranty. I heard good reviews for the Yamaha receiver so that why I want to buy it. The only option for speakers to buy are Wharfedale brand speakers. I wanted to know if the Wharfedale Diamond 200 Series 230 floor standing speakers, Wharfedale Quartz QC1 center channel speaker, Wharfedale Quartz Q7 floor standing speakers, Wharfedale Diamond 210 bookshelf speakers and Wharfedale WH-S10 subwoofer are compatible with the Yamaha RX-V677 av receiver. I would be grateful if you guys could help me to choose the the right speakers for it and also tell me more about how to set speaker impedance and frequency.

Last edited:

citywalker

Agent
Real Name
Marco
Wharfedale or whatever passive speakers are compatible with receivers. There is tone difference between different brands, but that's it.
Subwoofer must be active (self powered).
So your system will work well, no problem.

Those receivers include auto calibration function, so you don't have to do set up by yourself, receiver will do that.
Just connect the speakers.

Pyro2488

Auditioning
Real Name
Raj
Wharfedale or whatever passive speakers are compatible with receivers. There is tone difference between different brands, but that's it.
Subwoofer must be active (self powered).
So your system will work well, no problem.

Those receivers include auto calibration function, so you don't have to do set up by yourself, receiver will do that.
Just connect the speakers.

Thank for your help. I really appreciate it. My main question now is that are the Wharfedale Diamond 230 floor standing speakers, Wharfedale Quartz QC1 center channel speaker, Wharfedale Diamond 210 bookshelf speakers and Wharfedale WH-S10 subwoofer compatible with the Yamaha RX-V677 receiver. Plus does the receiver need to be connected to the internet during the first setup or not? The Yamaha website lists the reciever specs as
Channel 7.2
Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) 150W (4ohms, 0.9% THD [European Model])
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 90 W (8ohms, 0.09% THD)
Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (JEITA) 150W (8ohms, 10% THD)
Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 125 / 165 / 190 / 235 W

The Wharfedale Diamond 230 speaker specs

General description 2.5-way floorstanding speaker
Enclosure type bass reflex
Transducer complement 2.5-way
Bass driver 165mm Woven Kevlar Cone
Midrange driver 165mm Woven Kevlar Cone
Treble driver 25mm Soft Dome
AV shield No
Sensitivity(2.83V @ 1m) 88dB
Recommended amplifier power 25-150W
Peak SPL 102dB
Nominal impedance 8Ω Compatible
Minimum impedance 3.7Ω
Frequency response (+/-3dB) 40Hz - 20kHz
Bass extension (-6dB) 37Hz
Crossover frequency 2.3kHz
Cabinet Volume (in litres) 35L
Height (on plinth & spikes) (938+25)mm
Width 196mm
Depth (with terminals) (306+28)mm
Carton size 420x310x1060mm
Net weight 17.8kg/pcs
Gross weight 21.2kg/ctn

Wharfedale Quartz QC1 specs

Format Centre
Bass Unit 2x130mm
Tweeter 25mm
Rec. Amplifier Power 25-120W
Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms
AV Shielding No
Sensitivity (1W @ 1M) 88dB
Frequency Response 75Hz-20kHz
Size (HxWxD) 150x450x200 (mm)

Wharfedale Diamond 210 specs

General description 2-way bookshelf speaker
Enclosure type Bass Reflex
Transducer complement 2-way
Bass driver 100mm Woven Kevlar Cone
Treble driver 25mm Soft Dome
AV shield No
Sensitivity(2.83V @ 1m) 86dB
Recommended amplifier power 15-75W
Peak SPL 90dB
Nominal impedance 8Ω Compatible
Minimum impedance 4.1Ω
Frequency response (+/-3dB) 68Hz - 20kHz
Bass extension (-6dB) 58Hz
Crossover frequency 2.3kHz
Cabinet Volume (in litres) 3.2L
Height (on plinth & spikes) 232mm
Width 143mm
Depth (with terminals) (165+5)mm
Carton size 415x260x330mm
Net weight 2.6kg/pcs
Gross weight 6.5kg/ctn

Wharfedale WH-S10 specs

Descriptions/Format Active Dynamic-Drive IB Subwoofer System
Drive Units 1 x (10'') 250mm Cone Long-throw
Enclosure Type Closed Box
Frequency Response (+/-3dB) 35Hz - 120Hz
Bass Extension 30Hz
Amplifier Power Output 215W
Peak Power Output 450W
Line Input Sensitivity 200mv for Maximum Output
Crossover Range 40Hz-150Hz
Inputs Stereo Line In (2 x RCA Phono); Mono(LFE) Line In(RCA Phono)
Input Impedance Line In: 50kOhms; LFE: 5 Ohms
Signal-tonoise Ratio (S/N) ≧86dB
Peak SPL 115dB
Features Phase Inversion. High Pass Output, Low Pass Filter Slope; Adjustment, Auto On/ Off
Dimensions (H x W x D) 394 x 333 x 397 (mm)
Net Weight 14.8kg

Last edited:

citywalker

Agent
Real Name
Marco
Yes, these speakers are compatible with Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, Marantz and other receivers.

No need for Internet. If you need functions like internet radio etc, then connect internet.

Pyro2488

Auditioning
Real Name
Raj
Yes, these speakers are compatible with Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, Marantz and other receivers.

No need for Internet. If you need functions like internet radio etc, then connect internet.

Thanks for your help. I was worried that these Wharfedale speakers may not have the right impedance and frequency to be compatible with the Yamaha RX-V677. Will purchase the Yamaha receiver and Wharfedale speakers by next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks