What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Journey to Space -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The arrival of 4k UHD Blu-rays to the home theater audience may be the single worst launch ever of a home video product.

Between hardware and software that isn't always up to the task, to the majority of the initial 4k releases being technically 2k, uprezzed, it's been an iffy proposition.

For software, it all changed, initially with a few good 4k discs, then with The Revenant from Fox, and now Journey to Space from Shout Factory. This is one of those moments that you'll remember, as the absolute wow factor hits your screen.

Shout Factory is releasing the first 4k UHD disc that I consider to be an absolute purchase for anyone brave enough to be an early adopter.

But they've also made the release idiot proof, and here's why.

Journey to Space comes with not just the typical 4k UHD / BD variant, but rather, a 4k UHD / 3D Blu-ray, which also runs in 2D.

They have brilliantly covered all bases.

I'm calling Journey to Space an "absolute purchase" for three reasons.

Content.

Image.

Audio.

Content covers a good stretch of the history of space travel, with extremely highly resolved NASA and large format footage. The production company isn't called Giant Screen Films for nothing.

Image, especially in 4k, and even with my slightly crippled HDR, contains the most brilliant, highly resolved, magnificent images that I've ever seen in home theater.

For those aware of the flame effects in Mad Max, image rocket launches in HDR.

Audio is huge. Dolby Atmos. Rocket launches. You get the picture. Lint removed from all speakers.

And the film its beautifully produced, and narrated by Patrick Stewart.

Just add this one to your collection, even if you don't yet have 4k capability. For those with 4k, pop it in your player, and be amazed.

Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel, were occasional known to say things such as "Two thumbs up, and they couldn't possibly be raised higher."

This is one of those occasions!

Image - 5*

Audio - 5*

4k - 5*

Pass / Fail - Pass

Extremely Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Patrick Stewart also narrated the science documentary series "The Planets" and of course one of my favorite movie documentaries of all time "MGM: When the Lion Roars".

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Thanks for the review. Great to hear. I bought into the new technology because I wanted to see what my TV (LG 65EF9500) could do. I've been very pleased so far. This one will definitely join the collection.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Because of its length, this is a perfect film with which to demo technology for friends.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
A bit of confusion over the title: Journey to Space vs. Journey into Space.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
The arrival of 4k UHD Blu-rays to the home theater audience may be the single worst launch ever of a home video product.

RAH

Coming off of what, 15-20 years of rendering film and then digital at 2K, that's hardly surprising. In my opinion, this period (certainly, after film projection was phased out) has been one of the worst times to love cinema and cinema-going. I will reserve judgement on 4K until I see it, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's only going to get me so far.

I have to admit that I often wonder, if the industry had made the right choice years ago and stuck with 35mm for films and even important television, how good would the film stocks of 2016 be then?

But anyways, it's great to hear that this looks and sounds great, so I'll future-proof when the time is right. Thanks RAH. :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Coming off of what, 15-20 years of rendering film and then digital at 2K, that's hardly surprising. In my opinion, this period (certainly, after film projection was phased out) has been one of the worst times to love cinema and cinema-going. I will reserve judgement on 4K until I see it, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's only going to get me so far.

I have to admit that I often wonder, if the industry had made the right choice years ago and stuck with 35mm for films and even important television, how good would the film stocks of 2016 be then?

But anyways, it's great to hear that this looks and sounds great, so I'll future-proof when the time is right. Thanks RAH. :)

Today's Eastman stocks are superb.

With theaters primarily running data, and the cost of shooting data and creating DCPs having brought production and post numbers down, as opposed to prints, I don't believe we'll be going back.

Shooting on film, certainly, for those with requisite budgets, but an entire digital data flow makes that route very persuasive.

I love seeing a properly projected 4k image.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks