What's new

Are Onkyo Receivers Reliable ? (1 Viewer)

Pyro2488

Auditioning
Real Name
Raj
I wanted to purchase a new av receiver. I wanted to get the Onkyo TX-NR646 but I've done some research and found out that a lot of people are complaining that the Onkyo receivers start having technical problems after a few months of use. They say there's a problem with the HDMI board and loss of signal when connected to TV via HDMI cable. Does the problem get solved if you do a firmware update or does it still occur even after the update? I don't know much about av receivers as I've never owned one but I'm considering to buy one and upgrade to a 7.1ch surround sound system. If the Onkyo receivers have a lot of technical issues then I'll get the Yamaha RX-V677 receiver as it's the only other option available. If anyone has owned an Onkyo receiver and has faced such problems then please tell me about it and also if Yamaha is better than Onkyo.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
I wanted to purchase a new av receiver. I wanted to get the Onkyo TX-NR646 but I've done some research and found out that a lot of people are complaining that the Onkyo receivers start having technical problems after a few months of use. They say there's a problem with the HDMI board and loss of signal when connected to TV via HDMI cable. Does the problem get solved if you do a firmware update or does it still occur even after the update? I don't know much about av receivers as I've never owned one but I'm considering to buy one and upgrade to a 7.1ch surround sound system. If the Onkyo receivers have a lot of technical issues then I'll get the Yamaha RX-V677 receiver as it's the only other option available. If anyone has owned an Onkyo receiver and has faced such problems then please tell me about it and also if Yamaha is better than Onkyo.
This is what I can tell you I have one I got as open box , the HDMI caused the picture to flicker, I emailed the co. and told them about it, and was willing to keep it if they would give me another 50.00 off I would keep it as I liked the sound. They said yes. I ran it for 24hrs. hoping that it would fix itself, and it did! It is still running 3yrs. later. One other thing it made a loud pop sound once a few months ago. ,it came from the unit not the speakers! So I got it for 99.00. I just added the price as I know everyone will need to know.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have an Onkyo HT-RC560 that I got two years ago, and it's worked flawlessly for me. I use it almost every day.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The bad HDMI board was a big issue a few years ago (don't know if it was isolated to one model or manufacture year) and the company has had a stigma ever since. I have owned a few different Onkyos over the last decade. My current model did have an HDMI port go out, but it isn't critical for my setup so have lived with it. That said, I have Denon in mind for the eventual replacement, mainly for a change of pace.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I concur with the other users here. I have owned Onkyo receivers since the mid 90s and have never had a problem with them.

Just yesterday I bit the bullet and replaced my current Onkyo with a newer Denon. Like Cameron, my brand switching was not for any reason of dissatisfaction with Onkyo, but rather a result of the Denon meeting my needs at the right price point.

Any major brand of electronics is going to have issues, and the most popular brands (like Onkyo) are going to have the largest number of complaints. If you are concerned about problems (as with any consumer electronic), then consider an extended warranty.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I'm on my 3rd Yamaha receiver over the last 20 years. They were only replaced for feature upgrades and none of them had any issues at all. I personally have had good luck with them and like the sound. I did briefly own an Onkyo about 8 years ago. I returned it as I didn't like the sound -- I was used to, and preferred, the Yamaha sound. I do remember at that time that Onkyo's were known to run hot.

As Jason said, any electronics has the possibility of issues. If you can hear them, I'd go with the sound you prefer. (Of course, it wouldn't be with the speakers you own or in your environment.)

Good luck -- and have fun picking your speakers. ;)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
My first 5.1 receiver was an Onkyo. I liked it enough to get another when I went to HDMI. That was the TXSR606. It did develop problems with the HDMI board. I found a guide on the Internet to repair it, and replaced a number of capacitors, and got it running again (I didn't even know I could solder!). I gave it away to a relative and bought a Denon after that.

Apparently there were lots of 606's with that issue, and I don't believe Onkyo ever owned up to it. However, to be fair, I believe lots of brands had HDMI board issues. Still, I decided to move on from Onkyo after my experience. I currently have a Yamaha which I like just fine.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Read the following thread regarding the HDMI issues for Onkyo receivers made between 2009-2012:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/com...epair-receivers-2009-2012-hdmi-issues.335227/

Pyro2488

Auditioning
Real Name
Raj
Thanks for your help guys. I'm going to get the Yamaha receiver instead of the Onkyo. I live in Fiji and we have no Onkyo repair centers here. If I get an Onkyo receiver and it starts to have problems later on then my money will go to waste as the company that sells it in Fiji will probably not be able to fix it. I've heard good reviews about the Yamaha receivers and no problems with their HDMI boards unlike Onkyo. I heard that Onkyo was the best brand but in recent years their receivers are not what they used to be. I've read about a lot of bad reviews on Amazon for Onkyo receivers from customers. The Yamaha receiver is $1200 and much cheaper than the Onkyo TX-NR646 which is $1650 in Fiji.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think that is very good rationale. I would probably be considering Yamaha too, but I want the Audyssey bass EQ that the Denon flagship has. It will be a long ways off though, unless my Onkyo 605 gives up the ghost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks