What's new

Hookup Help! (1 Viewer)

~st3v3n

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig Stafford
I replaced all of my home theater equipment with new goodies. I own a Samsung UN55KS8000FXZA TV, a Pioneer Elite VSX-90 receiver, a Samsung UBD-K8500 and DirecTV HR54/500 box. I am so confused. I can get satellite fine using One Connect. Other than that, confused. I used to have my satellite hooked to my receiver. Now it's to the tv. Same for the blu-Ray. I can get an awesome picture from 4K movie but tv sound only. Ditto Netflix, etc. Help!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I used to have my satellite hooked to my receiver. Now it's to the tv. Same for the blu-Ray. I can get an awesome picture from 4K movie but tv sound only. Ditto Netflix, etc. Help!

Why did you change how things are connected? This is the source of your problems.

All of your sources should connect to the receiver, then you run a single HDMI out from the receiver to an input on the TV. Do all of your switching using the receiver, and you will get sound from the AVR for everything.

The only caveat here would be the TV apps (like Netflix). The easiest way to deal with this is to get an optical (Toslink) cable to connect from the audio out on your TV to an optical input on the receiver. Ignore what you've heard about ARC - it rarely works and is more of a headache than it's worth.

However, the process of disconnecting and reconnecting HDMI devices is a bit tricky because of the HDMI handshake that needs to be reset. The handshake between devices essentially remembers "where" each device is connected, so moving connections around can really screw things up in oddball ways.

To reset the handshake properly, follow this process:
Disconnect all HDMI (and any other) cables from your system so all of your devices are isolated from one another.
Then you should physically unplug all of the devices from the wall outlets and let them sit for 10 minutes or longer (this will ensure that when they are reconnected, they will reboot and reset).
Next, you should make the HDMI connections - each source to the receiver, then a single HDMI from receiver to TV.
Once complete, you can plug all of the devices back in to the wall outlets.

Now, this is the important part.

First turn on your sources (satellite box, blu-ray player). Let them completely reboot and finish starting up before moving on.
Next, turn on the receiver. Let it fully boot and reach a stable state.
Finally, turn on the TV.

This process should properly reset the HDMI handshake between devices.

~st3v3n

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig Stafford
Thanks! Do I hookup the HDMI from the receiver to the ONE CONNECT box? Also, when I had everything going into the receiver I plugged the cable from blu-Ray to the BD slot but could not get a picture or sound.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
As far as I can tell, the One Connect box should still be connected directly to the TV. I am not too familiar with it, and find it strange that the manual says to connect the TVs HDMI out to an input on the One Connect, but I suppose when in doubt, follow the manual.

So ultimately, you'll have two HDMI connections to the TV - one to the One Connect box, the other coming from the receiver.

As for your experience with the blu-ray player not producing picture or sound, even if you were sure to choose the correct input on the receiver, an improper handshake between the devices can result in missing picture and/or sound.

Until you follow the reset handshake procedure, I wouldn't trust any HDMI connected devices.

Also, once you follow the handshake process, if you still have problems, don't start unplugging devices until you are certain that everything else is set up properly.

~st3v3n

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig Stafford
As far as I can tell, the One Connect box should still be connected directly to the TV. I am not too familiar with it, and find it strange that the manual says to connect the TVs HDMI out to an input on the One Connect, but I suppose when in doubt, follow the manual.

So ultimately, you'll have two HDMI connections to the TV - one to the One Connect box, the other coming from the receiver.

As for your experience with the blu-ray player not producing picture or sound, even if you were sure to choose the correct input on the receiver, an improper handshake between the devices can result in missing picture and/or sound.

Until you follow the reset handshake procedure, I wouldn't trust any HDMI connected devices.

Also, once you follow the handshake process, if you still have problems, don't start unplugging devices until you are certain that everything else is set up properly.
Thanks. My problem is the TV itself has NO HDMI ports. My One Connect box has 4 HDMI ports. #1-TV #2-DVI/PC #3-open #4 -ARC. I ALSO attach toslink and USB to the box. The tv itself has the one connect port, LAN port, exlink port and another USB port. Again, HELP! Thanks.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hmm, the 4K stuff is still new to me, I guess Samsung uses the outboard box for all the switching.

So you connect the One Connect box to the tv using it's "special" connection, then plug the HDMI out from the receiver into one of the HDMI inputs on the One Connect box. I don't think it should matter which one - everything will work as if the One Connect box were "internal" to the TV.

~st3v3n

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig Stafford
Hmm, the 4K stuff is still new to me, I guess Samsung uses the outboard box for all the switching.

So you connect the One Connect box to the tv using it's "special" connection, then plug the HDMI out from the receiver into one of the HDMI inputs on the One Connect box. I don't think it should matter which one - everything will work as if the One Connect box were "internal" to the TV.
Thanks. I'll post an update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks