What's new

Are These Speakers Compatible With Yamaha RX-V677 ? (1 Viewer)

Pyro2488

Auditioning
Real Name
Raj
I want to purchase the Yamaha RX-V677 av receiver but I don't know much about speaker impedance and frequency settings. I wanted to know if these Wharfedale speakers are compatible with the Yamaha RX-V677. I'll list down the specs for the receiver and speakers so you guys can know if they're compatible or not. I would be grateful If you could also point out if the Wharfedale Vardus VR-400 is compatible with the receiver or not.

Yamaha RX-V677 specs :

Channel 7.2
Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) 150W (4ohms, 0.9% THD [European Model])
Rated Output Power (20Hz-20kHz, 2ch driven) 90 W (8ohms, 0.09% THD)
Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (JEITA) 150W (8ohms, 10% THD)
Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 125 / 165 / 190 / 235 W

Wharfedale Diamond 230 Floor Standing/Tower Speakers :

General description 2.5-way floorstanding speaker
Enclosure type bass reflex
Transducer complement 2.5-way
Bass driver 165mm Woven Kevlar Cone
Midrange driver 165mm Woven Kevlar Cone
Treble driver 25mm Soft Dome
AV shield No
Sensitivity(2.83V @ 1m) 88dB
Recommended amplifier power 25-150W
Peak SPL 102dB
Nominal impedance 8Ω Compatible
Minimum impedance 3.7Ω
Frequency response (+/-3dB) 40Hz - 20kHz
Bass extension (-6dB) 37Hz
Crossover frequency 2.3kHz
Cabinet Volume (in litres) 35L
Height (on plinth & spikes) (938+25)mm
Width 196mm
Depth (with terminals) (306+28)mm
Carton size 420x310x1060mm
Net weight 17.8kg/pcs
Gross weight 21.2kg/ctn

Wharfedale Quartz QC1 Center Channel Speaker :

Format Centre
Bass Unit 2x130mm
Tweeter 25mm
Rec. Amplifier Power 25-120W
Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms
AV Shielding No
Sensitivity (1W @ 1M) 88dB
Frequency Response 75Hz-20kHz
Size (HxWxD) 150x450x200 (mm)

Wharfedale Diamond 210 Bookshelf Speakers :

General description 2-way bookshelf speaker
Enclosure type Bass Reflex
Transducer complement 2-way
Bass driver 100mm Woven Kevlar Cone
AV shield No
Sensitivity(2.83V @ 1m) 86dB
Recommended amplifier power 15-75W
Peak SPL 90dB
Minimum impedance 4.1Ω
Frequency response (+/-3dB) 68Hz - 20kHz
Bass extension (-6dB) 58Hz
Crossover frequency 2.3kHz
Cabinet Volume (in litres) 3.2L
Height (on plinth & spikes) 232mm
Width 143mm
Depth (with terminals) (165+5)mm
Carton size 415x260x330mm
Net weight 2.6kg/pcs
Gross weight 6.5kg/ctn

Wharfedale Quartz Q7 Floor Standing/Tower Speakers :

Format Floorstanding
Bass Unit 2x165mm
Tweeter 25mm
Rec. Amplifier Power 25-150W
Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms
AV Shielding No
Sensitivity (1W @ 1M) 88dB
Frequency Response (-6dB) 48Hz-20kHz
Size (HxWxD) 920x180x270 (mm)
Height with spikes 945 mm

Wharfedale Vardus VR-400 Floor Standing/Tower Speakers :

Enclosure Type Ported
BASS 6
TWEETER 25mm TEX
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 6ohms
DIMENSIONS 920 x 223 x 255
Mid - Range 6
Freq Range at -6 dB 40 - 20 khz
SPL 1W @ 1M 90dB
Recommend Amp 10 - 150W

Wharfedale Quartz Q1 Bookshelf Speakers :

Format Bookshelf
Bass Unit 165mm
Tweeter 25mm
Rec. Amplifier Power 20-100W
Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms
AV Shielding No
Sensitivity (1W @ 1M) 87dB
Frequency Response (-6dB) 58Hz-20kHz
Size (HxWxD) 310x180x225 (mm)

Wharfedale Diamond 240C Center Channel Speaker :

General description 2-way centre speaker
Enclosure type bass reflex
Transducer complement 2-way
Bass driver 130mm Woven Kevlar Cone x 4
AV shield Yes
Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m) 90dB
Recommended amplifier power 25-200W
Peak SPL 95dB
Minimum impedance 4Ω
Frequency response (+/-3dB) 50Hz ~ 20kHz
Bass extension (-6dB) 45Hz
Crossover frequency 2.1kHz
Cabinet Volume (in litres) 20.9L
Dimensions (mm)
Height (on plinth & spikes) (174+16)mm
Width 800mm
Depth (with terminals) (236+28)mm
Carton size 890*330*280mm
Net weight 14.5kg/pcs
Gross weight 16kg/ctn

Wharfedale WH-S10 Subwoofer :

Descriptions/Format Active Dynamic-Drive IB Subwoofer System
Drive Units 1 x (10'') 250mm Cone Long-throw
Enclosure Type Closed Box
Frequency Response (+/-3dB) 35Hz - 120Hz
Bass Extension 30Hz
Amplifier Power Output 215W
Peak Power Output 450W
Line Input Sensitivity 200mv for Maximum Output
Crossover Range 40Hz-150Hz
Inputs Stereo Line In (2 x RCA Phono); Mono(LFE) Line In(RCA Phono)
Input Impedance Line In: 50kOhms; LFE: 5 Ohms
Signal-tonoise Ratio (S/N) ≧86dB
Peak SPL 115dB
Features Phase Inversion. High Pass Output, Low Pass Filter Slope; Adjustment, Auto On/ Off
Dimensions (H x W x D) 394 x 333 x 397 (mm)
Net Weight 14.8kg

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
For "compatibility" all that really matters is the nominal impedance value. Speakers with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms will work with any standard A/V Receiver.

The Wharfedale 230 speakers are 8 ohm speakers so you can use them without worrying about damaging any of your gear. The VR-400 are 6 ohm, which generally work with most gear, provided you don't push them too hard. I might be a bit wary of using these with the Yamaha depending on your intended usage.

You have to be wary of low impedance speakers, specifically 4 ohms or less. Generally speaking, speakers that come as part of a budget Home Theater in a Box system are likely to be low impedance - you don't want to use those with any standard receiver. If the speakers you really like are low impedance speakers (low impedance doesn't mean "crappy"), you will need a receiver that specifically supports 4 ohm speakers (these AVRs will have a setting to accommodate them). The setting prevents the speakers from drawing too much power from the receiver.

Don't be confused by the fact that the Wharfedale's list a "minimum" impedance of 3.7 ohms - technically speaking, the impedance of all speakers varies based on the frequencies being played by the speakers. All speakers have variable impedance, but the "average" or "nominal" is what's important to you when shopping.

Again, the 8 ohm Wharfedales are perfectly compatible with your Yamaha.

The only other specification that has any meaning when it comes to speakers is sensitivity (in dB). Sensitivity is essentially the speaker's efficiency and gives an idea of how much power they need to "get loud". The Wharfedale's have a sensitivity of 88dB, which is about average.

Sensitivity works like this:
The rating is the SPL (Sound Pressure Level, or volume) that the speakers produce at a distance of 1 meter when fed a 1 Watt signal.

If you double the wattage, you increase SPL by 3dB (it's a logarithmic scale)...

So for the Diamond 230..
1W --> 88dB
2W --> 91dB
4W --> 94dB
8W --> 97dB
16W --> 100dB

Based on this, you can see that choosing a speaker with a 91dB sensitivity would require half the power of the Wharfedale's to produce the same volume, while something like the Diamond 210 that have a sensitivity of only 86dB would require nearly double the power of the 230s/

If you have a large-ish room and want to really push the system to reference levels, you may want to consider looking for speakers with a higher sensitivity.

8 ohm speakers with sensitivity in the mid 90s will work with anything and be plenty loud enough for just about anyone.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your shopping!

Last edited:

Pyro2488

Auditioning
Real Name
Raj
For "compatibility" all that really matters is the nominal impedance value. Speakers with a nominal impedance of 8 ohms will work with any standard A/V Receiver.

The Wharfedale 230 speakers are 8 ohm speakers so you can use them without worrying about damaging any of your gear. The VR-400 are 6 ohm, which generally work with most gear, provided you don't push them too hard. I might be a bit wary of using these with the Yamaha depending on your intended usage.

You have to be wary of low impedance speakers, specifically 4 ohms or less. Generally speaking, speakers that come as part of a budget Home Theater in a Box system are likely to be low impedance - you don't want to use those with any standard receiver. If the speakers you really like are low impedance speakers (low impedance doesn't mean "crappy"), you will need a receiver that specifically supports 4 ohm speakers (these AVRs will have a setting to accommodate them). The setting prevents the speakers from drawing too much power from the receiver.

Don't be confused by the fact that the Wharfedale's list a "minimum" impedance of 3.7 ohms - technically speaking, the impedance of all speakers varies based on the frequencies being played by the speakers. All speakers have variable impedance, but the "average" or "nominal" is what's important to you when shopping.

Again, the 8 ohm Wharfedales are perfectly compatible with your Yamaha.

The only other specification that has any meaning when it comes to speakers is sensitivity (in dB). Sensitivity is essentially the speaker's efficiency and gives an idea of how much power they need to "get loud". The Wharfedale's have a sensitivity of 88dB, which is about average.

Sensitivity works like this:
The rating is the SPL (Sound Pressure Level, or volume) that the speakers produce at a distance of 1 meter when fed a 1 Watt signal.

If you double the wattage, you increase SPL by 3dB (it's a logarithmic scale)...

So for the Diamond 230..
1W --> 88dB
2W --> 91dB
4W --> 94dB
8W --> 97dB
16W --> 100dB

Based on this, you can see that choosing a speaker with a 91dB sensitivity would require half the power of the Wharfedale's to produce the same volume, while something like the Diamond 210 that have a sensitivity of only 86dB would require nearly double the power of the 230s/

If you have a large-ish room and want to really push the system to reference levels, you may want to consider looking for speakers with a higher sensitivity.

8 ohm speakers with sensitivity in the mid 90s will work with anything and be plenty loud enough for just about anyone.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your shopping!

Thanks for your help. The Yamaha RX-V677 has YPAO automatic system calibration and also reflected sound control so I'm hoping that will make the setup of the speaker impedance and frequency much easier for me. I have never used av receivers before so I'm a bit nervous.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Thanks for your help. The Yamaha RX-V677 has YPAO automatic system calibration and also reflected sound control so I'm hoping that will make the setup of the speaker impedance and frequency much easier for me. I have never used av receivers before so I'm a bit nervous.

Auto calibration systems like YPAO are great to help overcome placement irregularities and to help ensure that the volume levels from each individual speaker are the same at the main listening positions.

These systems aren't without their flaws however. The most common issue many of them have is improperly setting the main speakers to "Large" or "Full Range" even when a subwoofer is specified.

"Large/Small" has nothing to do with the physical size of the speaker - rather it indicates whether the speaker is included in the bass management of the receiver. Often, if you have capable mains, the auto calibration feature automatically tags them as Large which means that the full range audio signal for those channels gets sent to the speaker without any low-pass filtering to the subwoofer.

If you have a powered subwoofer, you should set the main front speakers to "small" so that the low frequencies from the front channels get redirected to the subwoofer. Powered subs have their own amplifier and thus are better equipped to deal with the power demands of rumbling bass. This relieves the receiver from having to provide that power, leaving more power for the mid and high frequencies. It's a win-win situation.

Almost every auto calibration system gets this wrong (including Audyssey which I just ran last night on a new Denon receiver).

When you get your new system and set it up, be sure to spend time reading the manual and going through the setup process. It's daunting if it's all new to you, but members here are always happy to help get things set up correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks