What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The 5th Wave -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's those bloody aliens again, but this time, what do they want?

Chloe Moretz is a terrific young actress, and those who discovered her abilities as a titular character in Kick-Ass, will attest to her abilities.

In the 5th Wave, it's almost as if she's not given anything to do.

As a YA sci-fi alien drama, The 5th Wave is a decent picture. No more. No less.

As an effects film, it has its moments.

As part of the second (or 1.5) wave (no pun intended) of 4k UHD Blu-ray releases, it has its charms, but like the majority of the 4k releases thus far, it ain't 4k. It was finished in 2k, which allows the effects to more transparent.

Audio, in Dolby Atmos, is spot on and precisely placed around one's screening room. Turned up to proper theatrical levels, this is another "clean the lint of your speakers" film.

Color, especially in HDR, and for the record I'm viewing HDR via Rec 709 at the moment, has a bit extra oomph, but reference quality, not quite.

Not a film I would have selected to show off 4k UHD, as there are enough true 4k films available for the format.

It looks as it should, and thus high scores.

I just can't get excited about this one.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I'm not going to argue your review I have watched the movie in the theater... I will watch the disc this weekend. Personally I would love to see the reviews without the 4K cometary as I do enjoy your review. However, I don't need the hole purest conversation with every review... Do you start all your 3D reviews bashing them because they where post processed? In the end if it has and excellent picture and sound who cares?? It is going to be scaled, processed or manipulated to bring you a 4K picture, I get it...

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
Certainly not excited about this, or the whole 4K format so far. I feel they have botched the formats release and there seems to be a huge amount of confusion surrounding it.
I was expecting to be wowed like I was with Bluray initially. Instead I'll be waiting until 2017 to see what happens.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Certainly not excited about this, or the whole 4K format so far. I feel they have botched the formats release and there seems to be a huge amount of confusion surrounding it.
I was expecting to be wowed like I was with Bluray initially. Instead I'll be waiting until 2017 to see what happens.

You may not have to wait that long.

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
You may not have to wait that long.

Fingers crossed. After going thru the whole DVD and Bluray upgrade cycle (single layered, non anamorphic DVD's- to dual layered w/DTS-EX, then lossy 25GB blurays to remastered 50GB lossless discs etc etc etc) and spending a small fortune along the way (!)...I want to get it right this time....
Due to an upcoming move, I recently sold my entire DVD and Bluray collection (over 1700 blurays alone).
I'll be ready to invest in the whole 4K eco-system once I know we have the finished product.
The one film I wait for more than any other on 4K... is Lawrence Of Arabia.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Fingers crossed. After going thru the whole DVD and Bluray upgrade cycle (single layered, non anamorphic DVD's- to dual layered w/DTS-EX, then lossy 25GB blurays to remastered 50GB lossless discs etc etc etc) and spending a small fortune along the way (!)...I want to get it right this time....
Due to an upcoming move, I recently sold my entire DVD and Bluray collection (over 1700 blurays alone).
I'll be ready to invest in the whole 4K eco-system once I know we have the finished product.
The one film I wait for more than any other on 4K... is Lawrence Of Arabia.

Any longer films will, of technical necessity, be on two discs, or have to wait for the new media.

Tom Stears

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom Stears
Mr Harris,

Is there much improvement in detail compared to the blu-ray?

Thanks,
Tom

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr Harris,

Is there much improvement in detail compared to the blu-ray?

Thanks,
Tom

Depends upon the quality of your Blu-ray player's software. If you're using an Oppo, the Blu-ray will be close to the 4k release in overall true resolution.

What you're gaining is HDR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks