What's new

Alien Sountrack (1 Viewer)

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Looking to buy the complete Alien soundtrack from Amazon but came across a Limited Edition 8 CD Box set (2 discs for each of the 4 movies). Does anyone have this? Is the Alien soundtrack in the box set the same as the Complete edition? It looks like some of the tracks are different on the box set like new material was added. Thanks guys!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
To the best of my knowledge, there's no box set of Alien soundtracks. Intrada released a two disc Alien set, Varese Sarabande has an expanded one disc for Aliens, La La Land released a two disc of Alien Resurrection (which I think is out of print now) and Alien 3 just has its original one disc release.

I could be wrong so wait until someone that's sure weighs in. :)

EDIT: Prior to posting, I looked on Amazon and couldn't find a listing for the box set but I searched and found a listing on a random website with a listing for an 8 CD Box Set. I have no clue as to how complete it is, etc.

Last edited:

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I have all the soundtracks and all the released versions of them (and they're all terrific), but I have never heard of an 8-disc set (there certainly isn't a 2-disc version of the Alien 3 score anywhere that's legit) - and I've not seen one discussed in all my usual discussion forums where such things will ALWAYS come up :).

I'd say buyer beware (I did a quick check but couldn't find reference to the 8-disc set). The Intrada 2-disc release is a wonderful presentation of the full score that I highly recommend. Ditto for Varese Sarabande's expanded Aliens CD (which was only one disc as well).

Good luck!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ You're the man that I was hoping would chime in. My initial thought was that it was a bootleg but I thought maybe there was a chance that they were all licensed to a European label. Then I saw the cover (which, despite the Giger art, looks cheap and doesn't even use the Alien logo) and became more suspicious about it being a bootleg. http://www.monstersinmotion.com/car...elliot-goldenthal-john-frizzel-import-p-21641

That link also has the track listings too.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Here's a look at my Aliens related soundtracks in my iTunes. I keep my multiple disc scores separated by disc (rather than under a single listing), but I enjoy the game scores (and the Aliens: The Ride track) almost as much as the film scores.

Prometheus, which I also own, isn't shown ('cause its with the other 'P's') :)

Bob's thread inspired me to listen to a good deal of Aliens related scores again today. So thanks for that!!
image1.JPG

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I do find it annoying that because of licensing issues no release of the Alien soundtrack can include the snippet of the Gerhardt recording of Hanson Symphony #2 that plays over the end credits. Oh well.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I do find it annoying that because of licensing issues no release of the Alien soundtrack can include the snippet of the Gerhardt recording of Hanson Symphony #2 that plays over the end credits. Oh well.

I'm actually listening to "Symphony No. 2 "Romantic": II. Andante Con Tenerezza" right now :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ He'd probably choose not to desecrate the movie and its music but it would be funny. :laugh:

And yes, a big thumbs up to Neil for his great soundtrack work. He's worked on higher profile and more prestigious movies but as a huge fan of the Friday The 13th movies, I never dreamed of those scores ever being available so to get them in great form (and now starting to come out on vinyl too) was amazing.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Neil's a great guy. I first met him at a comic book shop that was right around the corner from my apartment complex. The owner would have monthly Star Trek club meetings and that's when I first got to know him. He introduced me to the world of laser disc collecting inviting me to his house multiple times and showing me his laser disc collection ( and Star Trek figure collection). I probably wouldn't be on this forum if it wasn't for him. I was absolutely thrilled to get expanded editions of Batman and Batman Returns! Thanks buddy!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the thread and info guys. The first two Alien film scores slipped my attention for adding to my collection. I just ordered the Intrada 2 disc Alien and single disc Aliens from Vararese Sarabande. I remember years ago I looked up the title of the piece at the end of Alien. I had been wanting to find that. Neil, you were listening to Symphony No. 2 "Romantic": II. Andante Con Tenerezza earlier. I'd be interested in finding that disc or the actual recording used in the film. I found one on Youtube. But I wasn't sure what I was listening to. I might have to chase down Prometheus too. :)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Oh geez, didn't realize this thread turned into praise about me. Well thanks for that. I'm blushing.

I wish someone with editing talent and musical knowledge would use the disco versions to try to rescore the entire movie.
I would never do such a thing!!

Oh wait...

Hi @Bob_S. ! The box set you were asking about is a bootleg. The official expanded albums (ALIEN from Intrada, Aliens from Varese Sarabande, and Alien Ressurection from La-La Land Records) are all that's been released. Alien 3 has only had an OST released on MCA Records. The Blu-rays have isolated scores.

Neil

Last edited:

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
La La Land just announced the expanded Alien 3 score. Nice to see them wrap up the quartet with this one.

http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/Alien3.html

That is the fastest I have ever ordered anything. Click the link, clicked purchase, completed my order, and only THEN did I go back and read about what I ordered. That's how much I love this score, and how much faith I have in LLL and everything they do!

Awesome!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I got that email too from La La Land for Alien3. I’m not as familiar with that score but for sure I’ll be adding it to my collection. I’m amazed how many soundtracks I’ve been buying lately!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That is the fastest I have ever ordered anything. Click the link, clicked purchase, completed my order, and only THEN did I go back and read about what I ordered.
Since it was a surprise announcement (to me anyway) and limited editions make me nervous, I immediately started ordering when I saw it. Once I got half way through ordering, I thought that it would probably be a good idea to make sure it was a good/expanded release before purchasing. Much like you said, I'm always in good hands with La La Land so there wasn't really a need to make sure.

I got that email too from La La Land for Alien3. I’m not as familiar with that score but for sure I’ll be adding it to my collection. I’m amazed how many soundtracks I’ve been buying lately!
Yeah, I've tried to keep my soundtrack buying down to movies or series or composers that I really love and I'm still going broke. :)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
From what I've been told at the FSM board, the raw session tapes for Alien 3's soundtrack had gone missing in the Fox archive and have only recently turned up. Hence why it took so long to get here. So if you think Goldenthal was blocking a release for any reason, that's just not the case.

Now I'm hoping we'll see a 2-disc of Aliens at some point with all the retracks and any other material that didn't make it onto the Varese Deluxe Edition (plus the original album assembly of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks