What's new

Problems accessing setting menu on HTPC (1 Viewer)

wayn0

Auditioning
Real Name
wayn0
Hi I have a BASE HTPC from a now defunct Irish brand called DF Solutions. it;s hardwired into my NAS drive.
Last week the windows o/s seemed to install an update and now when the machine is turned on it dipalys the following error messge: 16 bit ms_dos subsystem The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction"
I can ignore this message BUT the Base has lost the connection to my NAS srive.

If I restart the Base with Power & 1 pressed on the r/c to access the setting menu i can't get past this error message- if i try "ignore" or "close the program" it restarts the software.

So in a nutshell, I can't access "setting" and I can't acesss my NAS drive from the main basic skin...

I was thinking of somehow using task manager which i can access crtl+alt+del - is there a way to map the NAS drive from there?

Or does anyone else have any idea's?

TIA

Wayn0

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

wayn0

Auditioning
Real Name
wayn0
Hi, Thanks

The only problem is bwecause of the Windows error message I can't get into settings. I can only acccess the basic U/I - i don't need this simple play/chnage menu etc etc - quite happy to re install and just use it as a proper HTPC - BUT how can I access the windows menu to re install? ( i'm a mac user - this whole windows probel is a 'mare for me!)

wayn0

References to this type of problem seem to regard 10-year old systems, Windows XP and earlier. The suggestions seem to be to reboot into safe mode and see if that fixes it. If so, consider an OS reinstall.

If this is due to a quirk in a decade old Windows install, it might be time to upgrade the system.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/F...-when-installing-visual?forum=vssourcecontrol

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks