What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Finest Hours -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
From what I can tell, Craig Gillespie's The Finest Hours is very much a passion project for those involved, and it shows.

It's a tale of professionalism, duty and heroism of the finest kind.

Chris Pine heads the cast, as very human super-hero, Bernie Webber, the man responsible for the Coast Guard's most extraordinary small boat rescue mission in 1952, as an oil tanker splits in half during a huge storm.

Casey Affleck and Holliday Grainger, as Pine's love interest back on shore, round out the main cast. Also nice to see Abraham Benrubi in a role, as I've not seen him recently. He's one of those character actors that always lends authenticity. You'll recall him from E.R.

The film was shot with an Arri Alexa XT Plus, and the resultant 2k data files have been perfected ported over to Blu-ray.

Storm effects work nicely, and the audio in DTS-HD MA 7.1 fill a room nicely.

The Finest Hours is worth your time, although I'm not seeing it as a purchase.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended for rental.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's too bad this Blu-ray wasn't release with Dolby Atmos as the movie theater experience was excellent with it.

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
According to Wikipedia, The Finest Hours was released in Disney Digital 3D, RealD 3D, and Imax 3D formats. Too bad we have to get the 3D Blu from Amazon Japan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks