What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Victor / Victoria -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Victor / Victoria, directed by Blake Edwards in 1982, and starring Julie Andrews, James Garner and Robert Preston, is a wonderful hoot.

Based upon Viktor and Viktoria, a 1933 film directed by Reinhold Schunzel, it's yet another terrific gender-bending tale, and a total audience pleaser. And yes, it did come out the same year as Tootsie.

The film was nominated for seven Academy Awards, and won for Best Music. Nothing against Louis Gossett's work in An Officer and a Gentleman, but I always thought that either Mr. Preston should have taken it, or alternatively, it should have gone to James Mason, for his masterfully evil performance in The Verdict.

Derived from a beautifully produced IP, Warner Archive's new Blu-ray is perfect in every detail.

Great film, and pleased to finally have it on Blu.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
In 1935 the property was re-imagined for British musical comedy girl Jessie Matthews, as "First a Girl". It's a lovely little companion film for admirers of "Victor/Victoria".

12938345_10153714798947779_891981579311906443_n.jpg

Real Name
Alan Paterson
There's a wonderful sound edit in this movie that always makes me laugh. Robert Preston's character (Toddy) is laid up in bed with the cold. He blows his nose loudly and the scene cuts to a shot of a car coming into frame sounding its horn. This is, overall, a very funny film with really good belly laughs intermingled with memorable musical numbers from the lovely Julie. James Garner is great in it too. Looking forward to getting this one on Blu.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
The original 1933 German version Viktor und Viktoria with Renate Muller is also quite wonderful.

Reactions: PMF

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
A great film with a lot of heart and humour, and quite progressive for its time. I look forward to picking this up. The commentary track by Blake Edwards ans Julie Andrews well worth a listen.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Huh. I never even thought of that before. I wonder if anybody's naughty fantasies were fulfilled during the "Wait! Lock the door!" scene...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks