What's new

Warner sci fi/horror collections (1 Viewer)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Last October (I think) WARNER release two delightful collections. One was a sci-fi and the other a Hammer Horror classics. Does anyone have the slightest hint if other collections on blu will be issued? I am hoping to see others! Thanks.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
To my knowledge , Warner's hasn't made any announcements , but it would make sense for them to release things like Valley Of The Gwangi, Giant Behemoth , Black Scorpion, When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth, World Without End , Green Slime, The Thing From Another World , in new Special effects and Sci-Fi packages. I'm not sure what they have left of the Hammer and horror genre but anything would be welcome

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
I am hoping that with advances in technology that it might now be possible to scan the original negative of "CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN" and get color out of it, when several years ago it wasn't possible and Warners made a dupe neg from the separations and that supplied the master for the UK blu ray. There are, however, a lot of overlapping dissolves cut in to the original negative in early scenes, which is not unusual, but at least it would be an improvement over the UK version, which I hear doesn't look too good.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am hoping that with advances in technology that it might now be possible to scan the original negative of "CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN" and get color out of it, when several years ago it wasn't possible and Warners made a dupe neg from the separations and that supplied the master for the UK blu ray. There are, however, a lot of overlapping dissolves cut in to the original negative in early scenes, which is not unusual, but at least it would be an improvement over the UK version, which I hear doesn't look too good.
It isn't merely the color that is an issue with the UK release, but also the extreme softness. There is no detail. It is literally blurry, regardless of the aspect ratio you choose to watch.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
It isn't merely the color that is an issue with the UK release, but also the extreme softness. There is no detail. It is literally blurry, regardless of the aspect ratio you choose to watch.
I'm sure a lot of that softness originated from the fact that the element used is a distance from the original negative.
Also it's possible that the film element's focus wasn't optimized in telecine.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'm sure a lot of that softness originated from the fact that the element used is a distance from the original negative.
Also it's possible that the film element's focus wasn't optimized in telecine.
All is possible. In any case, I am hoping, hoping, hoping that Warner Bros has been working on this for a while and has better source material with which to give us a domestic Blu release.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
So if WB was to do this aging these are the Hammer films that thy could do,

Curse of Frankenstein

Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (Paramount Title)

Dracula (Horror of Dracula)

Dracula A.D. 1972

The Satanic Rites of Dracula WB released this originally so they should have a non PD negative

For a Special Effects set,

The Valley of Gwangi

The Thing From Another World

And if they wanted to grace us with a Classic Set they are sitting pretty on some true horror classics

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde 1932

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde 1941

Village of the Damned

Children of the Damned

Any Val Lewton

The Unknown / London After Midnight Reconstruction

Freaks

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

Curse of Frankenstein

Dracula A.D. 1972

The Satanic Rites of Dracula WB released this originally so they should have a non PD negative

Their first sets had 4 titles each so I kinda expect volume 2 to be the same but I like your sets.:)

Warner Archive has confirmed that they do have The Satanic Rites of Dracula. They have also confirmed that they do not have a bluray HD master from Paramount for Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell so I doubt we will see that one.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Curse of Frankenstein

Dracula A.D. 1972

For a Special Effects set,

The Valley of Gwangi

The Thing From Another World

And if they wanted to grace us with a Classic Set they are sitting pretty on some true horror classics

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde 1932

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde 1941

Village of the Damned

Children of the Damned

Any Val Lewton

The Unknown / London After Midnight Reconstruction

Freaks
What, no BLACK SCORPION or GIANT BEHEMOTH or WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH for a second SFX set? Along with Gwangi, that would be a great prehistoric monster set. Regards to THE THING: in fact, the film had very few special effects per se, plus WB has already stated the elements for a complete 87m release are not good enough for Blu-ray at this time.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Dick, i wrote that as i was running out the door for work, so i wasn't thinking as clearheaded , love the idea of a full on SFX set, hell would be happy if universal would pony up and do a 50's set as well

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
"Queen of Outer Space" would be a shoo-in for Warner Archive...

queen_of_outer_space_poster_02.jpg

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
see where you are going with that, some of the titles in the cult camp series would work, Atack of the 50-foot woman,

or they could release some Stephen King mini series It, Salem's Lot

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I think Warner's have or had X THE UNKNOWN. I like that film a lot and it is very moody. It fits nicely with the other Quatermass black and white Hammer sci-fiers. The Effects are not that special, but the film. I wonder if we will ever get it (maybe an Archive) release in its OAR.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Dick, i wrote that as i was running out the door for work, so i wasn't thinking as clearheaded , love the idea of a full on SFX set, hell would be happy if universal would pony up and do a 50's set as well
No worries. I often post things as I am on the way "out the door."

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Their first sets had 4 titles each so I kinda expect volume 2 to be the same but I like your sets.:)

Warner Archive has confirmed that they do have The Satanic Rites of Dracula. They have also confirmed that they do not have a bluray HD master from Paramount for Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell so I doubt we will see that one.

Also, I think that the version Paramount does have is not the uncut version which has additional footage of making the monster.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I think Warner's have or had X THE UNKNOWN. I like that film a lot and it is very moody. It fits nicely with the other Quatermass black and white Hammer sci-fiers. The Effects are not that special, but the film. I wonder if we will ever get it (maybe an Archive) release in its OAR.

Its with StudioCanal at this point - or so Ive been told.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
What, no BLACK SCORPION or GIANT BEHEMOTH or WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH for a second SFX set? Along with Gwangi, that would be a great prehistoric monster set. Regards to THE THING: in fact, the film had very few special effects per se, plus WB has already stated the elements for a complete 87m release are not good enough for Blu-ray at this time.
I'll bet that when the Thing does get released some day , it will be on it's own stand alone package . That would allow WB to release the other special effects movies together in a 4 disc collection like last years great set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks