What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pride + Prejudice + Zombies -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Those of you who are steeped in the works of Jane Austen, will be aware that although it was her intent that Pride & Prejudice (1813), was meant to be inclusive of zombies, it was considered inappropriate for a young lady of letters to write such things in that era.

It was not until 2009, that Seth Grahame-Smith, working from Austen's original notes, was able to put things right.

While my personal preference is toward the original, as published, there are those, fond of zombies, who will appreciate, what on film, is a mildly fun romp in English sensibilities of the time.

As a new 4k UHD release, from Sony, the film is a bit of a mixed bag.

Finished as a DI in what appears to be a wonderfully applied palette of amber and teal, it looks bold and striking, especially in HDR. It is the comparison of the Blu-ray without HDR, vs the 4k with, that is also illuminating. Not a major point, but I'm also seeing what appears to be slight sharpening. Why in 4k?

What caught my eye, were some of the night sequences, with dark, inky blue-blacks, against occasional scarlet costumes.

That said, I'm not seeing this as a 4k image.

Comparing with the Blu-ray up-rezzed to 4k, the differences are minor, outside of in the increase in contrast and color of the HDR.

Dolby Atmos is full and rich, with strategically placed effects.

Bottom line is this. If you want the film, and have an interest in the difference between the formats, the 4k is the place to go, for the extra $10.

If not, and if you're not in it for HDR alone, best to get the Blu-ray.

Image - 5 (blu-ray)

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

4k - 3.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
RAH,

Did you like the film? I've come to hate all this zombie stuff due to overkill by the film industry, but I think this film is an interesting concept.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
RAH,

Did you like the film? I've come to hate all this zombie stuff due to overkill by the film industry, but I think this film is an interesting concept.

I thought the film was fun, but not certain that the mashup worked. As long as you don't think about it...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Those of you who are steeped in the works of Jane Austen, will be aware that although it was her intent that Pride & Prejudice (1813), was meant to be inclusive of zombies, it was considered inappropriate for a young lady of letters to write such things in that era.

It was not until 2009, that Seth Grahame-Smith, working from Austen's original notes, was able to put things right.

While my personal preference is toward the original, as published, there are those, fond of zombies, who will appreciate, what on film, is a mildly fun romp in English sensibilities of the time.

As a new 4k UHD release, from Sony, the film is a bit of a mixed bag.

Finished as a DI in what appears to be a wonderfully applied palette of amber and teal, it looks bold and striking, especially in HDR. It is the comparison of the Blu-ray without HDR, vs the 4k with, that is also illuminating. Not a major point, but I'm also seeing what appears to be slight sharpening. Why in 4k?

What caught my eye, were some of the night sequences, with dark, inky blue-blacks, against occasional scarlet costumes.

That said, I'm not seeing this as a 4k image.

Comparing with the Blu-ray up-rezzed to 4k, the differences are minor, outside of in the increase in contrast and color of the HDR.

Dolby Atmos is full and rich, with strategically placed effects.

Bottom line is this. If you want the film, and have an interest in the difference between the formats, the 4k is the place to go, for the extra $10.

If not, and if you're not in it for HDR alone, best to get the Blu-ray.

Image - 5 (blu-ray)

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

4k - 3.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH
Today, at Amazon, the price of the 4K release which has the Blu-ray disc too is only about $5.00 more than the standalone Blu-ray release so I went ahead and bought it.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I streamed this last night and really enjoyed it. Thinking about getting the disc, what did you think about the 4k?

I also enjoyed this film a lot more than I thought I would. Never saw the Blu-ray, but the 4K disc is pretty nice.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I streamed this last night and really enjoyed it. Thinking about getting the disc, what did you think about the 4k?
I thought the video presentation was very good and the Dolby Atmos outstanding. This is another film title that has HDR on the 4K disc, but it's Dolby Vision on iTunes. I haven't compared the disc to the 4K stream, but I thought that was interesting.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The problem I have with the zombies of today's films (and TV shows -- I'm looking at you, Walking Dead) -- is that there is a sameness to them all. One can argue that the same is true of vampires, except that vampires are sentient, and have individual characters. Zombies just shamble along looking for brains, and nothing distinguishes one from another.

There is the occasional one that tries to be different, like Warm Bodies, but I prefer the O.G. zombies that were corpses reanimated by voodoo, not virus-infected rabid animals. I blame George Romero.

It should be noted, though I can't really think why, that the P+P+Z novel was followed by both a sequel and a prequel, and that there was also another novel: Sense & Sensibility & Sea-Monsters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks