What's new

TV set recommendations for bedroom? (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some input on a new Sony LCD TV. Normally I like to have done more research before posting a question like this, but I feel a little out of step with the latest out there and a little surprised by what I see.

I'd prefer to buy a Sony. I don't want a Samsung or others and I have an admittedly dated and old fashioned notion that Sony was the leader and I've had their XBR sets back in the 1990's. I realize in recent years Sony hasn't been on top of the game and companies like Samsung has outpaced Sony's image quality.

But with that said, in looking at Best Buy's website for Sony TV's, what surprised me was the lack of regular 1080 sets and mostly the 4K models. Perhaps there's more options at other places. This set is not for my main home theater, my standard is set by plasma and I have two, one in the main home theater, a 65" Panasonic VT30 and the older Pioneer Elite 50" in another room. But this set is for my bedroom. I've had a tiny 19" 16x9 set and it's becoming impossible to watch because it's so small I can't really see it. So I wanted to upgrade to at least a 50" and it's not necessary for home theater level image quality. A 1080 set is probably what I really need as it's for casual viewing. However, if 4K is all there are, I can deal with it. :)

The other question is I thought Bravia was their higher end. I can't see the Bravia name on any of the sets except one 48" one. The 4K sets don't seem to say what they are, but they are XBR. So essentially, I'm just trying to make sense of the options, I'll go to Best Buy this weekend and look at what's there. I'd appreciate some insights on the Sony sets. I realize they have the new LED lighting, but there is side lighting on these sets. So blacks aren't super black in a dark room. While it's for casual viewing of broadcast content and some steaming of YouTube and from Apple TV. it might or might not bug me.

The XBR-55X850D and the 930D seems like well reviewed sets. More money then I wanted to spend. But those are the ones I'm seeing reviews for. I'm hoping with sales I am below the $1200 mark. When I got into looking, I was hoping for a 1080 set at under $1000.00.

Thanks for any insights, from Sony and other brands too.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My fiance and I have a 40" Samsung LCD in the bedroom - it was hers from before we met, so it's got to be at least five years old, possibly more (but not by much). It used to be her living room TV before we got a place together, so I've used it both for main event movie watching and for before bedtime sitcom watching. Unfortunately I don't know the specific model number and I imagine they've made something newer and better since then. But I just wanted to say this more to point out that I've had very positive experiences with Samsung sets. I used to have a Samsung LED LCD that was very good, and I only gave it up because I was looking for something larger, not because there was anything wrong with that set (and it's still doing just fine at my dad's house). Several other friends and family members have Samsung sets, and I've never heard of any issues with any of them.

Typically, the kind of material we watch on the Samsung now is older, usually sitcoms. We watched all of I Love Lucy (a mix of Blu-ray and DVD), and are now watching all of the Dick Van Dyke Show on Blu-ray. I've been very happy with how the TV has displayed these.

I have nothing negative to say about Sony either, I just haven't had one for many years and no one in my current circle does either, so I haven't heard much about their newer models one way or the other.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hi Josh, thanks for your thoughts and experience. That's really helpful in that I will not rule out other brands including Samsung.

I'll do some research on Samsung as well. You're making good use of that TV!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hi Josh, thanks for your thoughts and experience. That's really helpful in that I will not rule out other brands including Samsung.

I'll do some research on Samsung as well. You're making good use of that TV!

Thank you! Once we finish Dick Van Dyke, then it's off to Bewitched (complete series purchased on DVD for $20 onsale at Amazon), and then I Dream Of Jeannie after that (complete series purchased for under $20). In a couple years, I'll come back for some suggestions :)

Please let us know what you end up going with! Whatever you decide, there are lots of good options for a good quality bedroom TV that'll be fun to watch and won't break the bank.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Those are great prices on those series! I had a look at Best Buy and it became clear after looking and reading, these new TV's are computers more then ever essentially. Also tough looking at the new 4K sets, it might be hard to pull back and stick to a 1080 set and just go for the 4K sets especially since there is a Sony at $999 and another at $700. Still a lot, but seems not a huge amount more. The kid at Best Buy and I focused on Sony. I asked about Samsung and he surprised me and steered me to stay with Sony in that the sets are tuned for realistic colors while the Samsungs are more vivid. I'm going to keep researching and looking.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
No specific models, but I've had really good luck with LG hardware. Also good luck with what's been mentioned, Sony and Samsung.

I tend to stick with the well known brand names, not some off the wall company from China just because it has a good price tag.

Even though I don't care for them, for a big purchase like this, Walmart often has very good prices.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Funny Stan, the kid at Best Buy said one of the Sony 4K sets we were looking at has an LG panel. I did look at the LG OLED sets out of curiosity for when the day my plasma dies, this might be what replaces it.

I agree with sticking with the big names. That's why I was focused on Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks