What's new

Need help with TV and speaker setup (1 Viewer)

ridethevent

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher
I'm mounting my tv over my fireplace. I need some help with speakers for the TV.

I will not have room for a sound bar, but i want additional speakers. I want to either mount them on the wall or in the ceiling. I do not want to have a receiver or cable box in a cabinet. There will be power and ethernet behind the TV. I will either be using a tivo mini or bolt. If I use a bolt, it will be recessed into he wall behind the tv. If i use the mini, there should be room for another component if you guys have a small hardware solution.

My question comes in to play here. If i mount ceiling or wall speakers where can the receiver go? Can it go to the basement in my network closet? How can I control it? I'd like to keep the tivo remote to mirror the same control as we use all over the rest of the house. Can i just get a mini receiver of some kind to drive the speakers and mount it behind the tv?

I want to be able to turn on my TV and push the volume controls on my tivo remote and have it "just work." I know this may be a pipe dream, but I wanted to drop all of this by you guys and tell me what you think.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm mounting my tv over my fireplace. I need some help with speakers for the TV.

I will not have room for a sound bar, but i want additional speakers. I want to either mount them on the wall or in the ceiling. I do not want to have a receiver or cable box in a cabinet. There will be power and ethernet behind the TV. I will either be using a tivo mini or bolt. If I use a bolt, it will be recessed into he wall behind the tv. If i use the mini, there should be room for another component if you guys have a small hardware solution.

My question comes in to play here. If i mount ceiling or wall speakers where can the receiver go? Can it go to the basement in my network closet? How can I control it? I'd like to keep the tivo remote to mirror the same control as we use all over the rest of the house. Can i just get a mini receiver of some kind to drive the speakers and mount it behind the tv?

I want to be able to turn on my TV and push the volume controls on my tivo remote and have it "just work." I know this may be a pipe dream, but I wanted to drop all of this by you guys and tell me what you think.

There is no "Law" that you have to place a receiver (or amplifier) under the TV. It is only more convenient to do so. Your restrictions would be the length of the HDMI cable(s) from the amp/receiver to the TV (and the wiring of your speakers and power source). Other may advise differently but an HDMI cables over 15 ft usually won't do well with out amplification.

If the TV set is less than 5 years old and has HDMI then us should be able to set it up to turn on/off the amp/receiver when you turn on/off the TV.. You will need to set up "HDMI Control for Devices" or similar from the TV to the amp/receiver.You will need to enable HDMI Control from the Amp/receiver as well. Samsung calls it AnyNet+, Panasonic calls ir VieraCast or VieraConect , Sony calls ii BraviaSync ... regardless you can usually get it to work with other brand components

Sony and Samsung Bluray players have become so small and so relatively cheap you might want to consider that the hub of your media center.

I have a Samsung TV I have the system set up so that if I turn on the Sony (or Samsung) Bluray it turns on the Receiver (a Sony) and the TV at the same time. After that I can use the TV remote to change the volume on the receiver (which automatically silences the TV's speakers). It can be difficult to get to always play the preferred soundstream (DTS or DOLBY-HD).Sometime I have to turn off all of the units several times.

If you only want Stereo then there are still (2.1) stereo amps/receivers available.

If you are considering Multi-Speaker You may want to spend a little more for a Dolby Atmos Compatible unit (Sony won't support ATMOS at this time apparently)

Last edited:

Jaco

Auditioning
Real Name
Jaco van Iterson
Hi

I have a similar setup as yours. I have wall mounted speakers with all cables coming out of the wall behind the TV. The idea was to just have the tv and no visible cables.
I should have given it more thought because I was not able to find a AV receiver that can be mounted behind the TV. So I'm just using my old Yamaha RX V1500 in a piece of furniture underneath the TV. The sound is great and the TV and speakers are fixed but I still have visible cables and need of a piece of furniture with cables connected (and my wife likes to move furniture).

If you are rebuilding and have the option to put the cables in the wall you could have the speaker cables and HDMI from the TV go to a different place where you put furniture holding the AV receiver and other equipment. Either in the room or in the basement.
If you put the equipment out of sight you can control it via TV and HDMI and you could also use a IR repeater.

If you want wall mounted speakers and hide the cables in a stone wall (like in my place) it might be difficult to have the cables go around the room if existing power lines are already hid in the wall going vertically. I've solved that by putting the horizontal cables on the wall in the top corner and hiding them behind a cornice.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Can i just use something like this? (Topping mini amp) I plan on buying a vizio m60-c3

Yes! You can use a mini amp if you like. That TV you selected has both analog audio out and it's variable so you're in luck. You can control the volume with the remote. So you're plan is sound. Hook up the amp and a pair of speakers, set the amp to 50% and then use your remote to control the volume of the speakers.

I would however, look at a different amp. The SMSL SA50 gets great reviews and bring more power to the table.

Keep in mind that when you select speakers you'll want to choose some that can play fairly low. I'm assuming that you're not going for a sub in this setup so you'll be asking them to do it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks