What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Killer Joe -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Somehow, I missed William Friedkin's Killer Joe, when it was released in 2012, have now caught up on it on Blu-ray, and very pleased that I have.

I'm a huge fan of noir, especially very dark noir in which Fate turns the world on an almost comedic spin.

That's Killer Joe.

It's a trailer park murder story, in with most characters are so blatantly dumb, that they haven't a clue what they're getting themselves into when they bring a Texas detective, played beautifully by Matthew McConaughey into the fray. The entire cast -- Emile Hirsch, Thomas Haden Church, Gina Gershon and Juno Temple, on whom much of the plot rides -- are superb.

Lionsgate seldom lets us down with the quality of their Blu-rays, and Killer Joe is no exception. As the film has been taken through to a 2k DI, those files, representing Caleb Deschanel's work, are glorious.

If you're a fan of modern sun-drenched noir, the work of the Coen Brothers, or films such as Tim Hunter's River's Edge, or the works of John Dahl, this one's for you.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Excuse me for living, but I don't remember even hearing about this -- and it sounds wonderful.

Sun-drenched trailer park noir? And with a recommendation like that? I am THERE. Seriously.

Ordered.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Excuse me for living, but I don't remember even hearing about this -- and it sounds wonderful.

Sun-drenched trailer park noir? And with a recommendation like that? I am THERE. Seriously.

Ordered.

And under $10 at Amazon.

English Patient

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph
I think it's McConaughey's second-best role (he was great in Dallas Buyer's Club). In Killer Joe, his performance reminds me of Christian Bale in American Psycho. Both have a wonderfully understated, deadpan calmness that's both funny and mesmerizing.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just made a blind buy of this Mr. Harris. Thanks for the heads-up!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
It's down to $7.94 on Amazon today.

Boy, this thing sticks to your ribs; I woke up today still thinking about it. I took a little extra time yesterday listening to what Friedkin and a few of the actors had to say about it.

Does anyone here have anything to say about the previous Letts/Friedkin collaboration, Bug (2006)? Since I missed that one, too, I'll be checking it out soon. I'm surprised to find it only available on DVD.

As a latecomer to Letts, I'm thrilled. I'm going to suggest to one of the local theaters in my area (the one that will pull no punches) that they consider the stage version of Killer Joe.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw Shannon in the stage version of BUG. He was amazing (and courageously stark naked along with his leading lady during the second act)!

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I follow movies pretty closely. I like Bill Friedken. I like MM. But count me in the club as having never heard of this that I can remember.

Looks right up my alley. Ordered today.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Bug really needs a good Region A release. And before everyone tells me that I should just go Region-free, I will state that for me, not going Region-free is a money-saving measure. If I could buy any BD release I wanted, I would quickly be in the poorhouse. haha

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
Yikes! I broke my own rule about blind buys and sprung for this one due to all the praise.

No more scoff-law, me. I am no prude, but this show starts off in solid sleaze territory and didn't seem to be heading away from it when I ejected the disc 20 minutes later. Too strong for my stomach, so it's heading for Half Price Books. Fortunately not out much thanks to the low Amazon price.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I got a viewing in tonight. Disturbing trailer park noir, but great performances turned in by all. Also a good visual experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks