What's new

EPSON 5030UB HELP (1 Viewer)

I have an Epson 5030UB, it is going on for about a year now. Over the past month I have experienced the Projector shutting down after about 5 hours of viewing. I had a company come in and clean it(no issues). I get no flashing light indicating that it is overheating, and once it shuts down I can power back on right away with no issues. I do have a Ultimate Harmony Remote, I noticed this time after I had the receiver on "mute" for a long time everything shut down. Anyone have any thoughts?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have an Epson 8345 and the only time it has ever shut down was when I forgot to clean the air filter.

lmorrison101

Auditioning
Real Name
Luke M.
Hey Hershel,

I recommend replacing the air filter. These are generally cheap on eBay and can help prevent random shutdowns. I was about to throw out my 83+ when I realized the filter was dirty. I got a new one shipped in and I never experienced overheating messages/shutdowns again. Just a word of caution, i've seen plenty of Epson's UB-series projectors experiencing permanent color chip warping because of overheating (in short, fuzzy blotches of improper colors on the screen) so I recommend getting a new filter as soon as possible anyways.

The other possible issue is a bad lamp. Epson projectors have a timer to count the hours and warn you at 4,000-5,000 hours to replace the lamp. Of course no lamp will stop working on the advertised hour it's supposed to, but lamps that pass the 3,000 hour mark tend to behave erratically even if the image looks okay, kind of like a car passing the 100,000 mile marker.

I hope these tips help you. Of course it could be an internal hardware issue, but here's hoping that's not the issue. Go ahead and check the lamp hours and try replacing the lamp and air filter when you get a chance.

Best of luck!
- Luke

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
My Epson projector does that occasionally too. It usually happens for me on startup and the fan blows full blast until it finishes. It seems to come in cycles where it happens several times over a couple of weeks, then it doesn't happen any more for a long time. I think it's a cleaning cycle that is programmed in based on bulb hours or something. I wouldn't worry about it. I thought it was a dirty filter too, but I swapped in a new one and it still did it for a couple of weeks. It definitely isn't a bad lamp. You can tell when the lamps go bad... they get very dim and low contrast. I've had this happen with new lamps too. Like I say, I think it is an undocumented programmed cleaning cycle of some sort. Just ignore it and it will go away soon.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
FWIW, shortly after I got my JVC projector it shut off unexpectedly while I was viewing and it turned out that I'd inadvertantly (or in confusion) activated the auto shut-off feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks