What's new

New setup a few questions (1 Viewer)

klouud

Auditioning
Real Name
Timothy Polumbo
Hi guys.

I'm planning on a new setup and need some feedback.

I know that the audiophiles are going to have heart attacks when I say this but: I don't mind soundbars. I like the simplicity and the minimal invasiveness of the setup.

Here are my goals for my next setup:
1. TV: low latency for console gaming, PC gaming, and Apple TV media consumption (I'm doing research)
2. Wall mounted TV with only an HDMI cable and power cable going to TV
3. Sound bar or Amp to handle all of the video/audio inputs with single video output to TV
4. Sub woofer
5. Peripherals as described above
6. Low profile open entertainment cabinet with built in cable management compartment in the back so I don't have a rats' nest of cables in back of the cabinet.

Main thing is I want a setup like the diagram provided.
What is the most simplistic setup with the best sound quality that can achieve this goal?

TV%20Setup.jpg

thanks

tim

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
There's a few unanswered questions.
  • What's your budget for this project?
  • What are you sources? (I count PC, Apple TV, gaming console, and possibly cable box)
  • Are you looking for a wireless sub too?
  • Since you said soundbar I'm assuming that you're ok with a 2.1 or 3.1 but just to make sure you're not looking for a 5.1 setup are you?

If you're looking for something like your drew out then I'm thinking that's an AVR. Multiple sources into it and then a video signal out to the TV. However, you said you like the soundbar format. I think it's going to be hard to do both. Budget will dictate a lot of what you get.

klouud

Auditioning
Real Name
Timothy Polumbo
1. Budget is not an issue at this point in my life. I'd like to keep it within reason though so a $10,000 sound system is not something I'd be willing to invest in.

2. Sources: wii, iMac (gaming DONT JUDGE ME!!!), Apple TV, cable box, and probably the NX when it is released.

3. Wireless sub would be nice but not necessary if I use an amp

4. 2.1 or 3.1 sound is fine. We have a really nice sound bar and wireless sub right now and the quality is just fine. We have a very small place.

I don't have to have a sound bar. A couple of speakers, sub, and amp would be acceptable. I just want something clean and elegant.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Well since you have some funds lets see what I can put together.

AVR - Marantz 1606NR slim line AVR $500

Subwoofer - SVS SB1000 $500 This is fairly small sub due to it's sealed design but will be very capable. This should pair well with just about any speaker solution you pick.

Passive soundbars - soundbar look and feel with better quality sound.
  1. Definitive Technology XTR-SSA3 $600
  2. KEF 8003 $900 or refurb $600
  3. Atlantic Technology FS-4000 $660
  4. Boston Acoustic P400 open box $450
The other option would be to get separate speakers. You can go with either a main pair or the front three. What you get depends on what your thinking would look the best. Small sats, books on stands or towers with a center. Since you don't have a budget you're only limited to what you think will look good.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Why not SSA5 sound bar? Just curious.

Well to be honest I've never experienced good "surround" from a speaker bar only. I just read SamP's review on the new Atmos Yamaha where he said it works pretty well. I stuck to 3.0 sound bars because that's what they are replacing, the front three. If you want to try something else then by all means go for it and let me know how you like it. I would be curious to see what you think.

I'll be honest I'm not an expert when it comes to passive soundbars as most of the time you would go with speakers but since you were pretty set on getting that form factor it's what I focused on.

klouud

Auditioning
Real Name
Timothy Polumbo
Now my last issue is where do I go to get a tv stand that has compartments for cable management? I've done searches but can't seem to find anything the way I want it.

I hate the rats best in back of my tv stand currently.

If there were hidden compartments behind each section of the tv stand to keep cord then I would only have a few wires sticking out the back of the stand

Suggestions?

Thanks for all the help!!

Wes K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wesley
This might call for criticism, but I really enjoy my Vizio 5.1 soundbar

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SMBGGV6/ref=sxl1?qid=1465913024&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65

Vizio isn't exclusively known for its audio equipment but this soundbar is phenomenal. It's very crisp, has true 5.1, and the sub and rears are wireless and plug into each other. The sub isn't huge or super impressive but if you adjust it to avoid overblowing it can be pretty powerful. The 38" version only has coaxial, optical, and auxiliary input but larger models have 2 HDMI inputs and the ones listed previously.

Unfortunately it only supports DD and DTS even with HDMI input.

klouud

Auditioning
Real Name
Timothy Polumbo
Ok. Got everything on the list. What is the best way to connect it all? 12 gauge speaker wire? Brand?

klouud

Auditioning
Real Name
Timothy Polumbo
Well since you have some funds lets see what I can put together.

AVR - Marantz 1606NR slim line AVR $500

Subwoofer - SVS SB1000 $500 This is fairly small sub due to it's sealed design but will be very capable. This should pair well with just about any speaker solution you pick.

Passive soundbars - soundbar look and feel with better quality sound.
  1. Definitive Technology XTR-SSA3 $600
  2. KEF 8003 $900 or refurb $600
  3. Atlantic Technology FS-4000 $660
  4. Boston Acoustic P400 open box $450
The other option would be to get separate speakers. You can go with either a main pair or the front three. What you get depends on what your thinking would look the best. Small sats, books on stands or towers with a center. Since you don't have a budget you're only limited to what you think will look good.

Thanks Tony for all the recommendations.

I went with the following:
1. Samsung UN65KS8000 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2016 Model)
2. Marantz NR1607 Ultra HD 7.2 Channel Network A/V Surround Receiver
3. Definitive Technology XTR-SSA3 Ultra Slim LCR Speaker Bar (3 channel)
4. SVS SB-1000 - 12", 300 Watt DSP Controlled, Sealed Box Subwoofer

And I connected everything with: Monoprice Select Series High-Speed HDMI Cables that support 3D, 4K and Audio Return

The Sound quality is exactly what I wanted. I probably should have went with the 5 channel sound bar - but what i have is great for now. I love my setup and have all the wires run internally within the TV stand. Everything looks as clean as possible. I'm also running only 2 peripherals: Nintendo Wii and Apple TV4.

I have some questions about getting the maximum performance out of my setup - but I think that is a thread for another section of this forum.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help!!

Tim

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 97

Wes K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wesley
I'm confused. You bought a 7.2 reciever and you're using a 3 channel sound bar with it? Why waste your money on an awesome reciever and not utilize the surround sound?

klouud

Auditioning
Real Name
Timothy Polumbo
I'm confused. You bought a 7.2 reciever and you're using a 3 channel sound bar with it? Why waste your money on an awesome reciever and not utilize the surround sound?

Upgradabity, quality, convenience, seamless integration, recommendation. Why buy something and then buy it again later?

Wes K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wesley
Upgradabity, quality, convenience, seamless integration, recommendation. Why buy something and then buy it again later?

I guess, but why not at least start with a 5.1 system for movies? Then you can add more surrounds and another sub. I'm also surprised you went with a sound bar to use with a reciever when the speaker separation should be farther apart on the front end

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks