What's new

oh why not....THE ABYSS (1 Viewer)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Just wondering if there are any rumbling on the title....other than most of us would welcome a blu ray!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I understand the rumbling is that Cameron is waiting to finish his Avatar sequels before tackling a blu of The Abyss.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I understand the rumbling is that Cameron is waiting to finish his Avatar sequels before tackling a blu of The Abyss.

Which means physical media might be dead by the time that happens.

Fox should have put a clause in whatever deal Cameron made for financing for the Avatar sequels that he supervise transfers for "Abyss" and "True Lies"

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Its probably never coming. With Jim wasting all his time on Avatar sequels that nobody asked for and having apparently ended his partnership with Van Ling, there's no motivation there anymore.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Just wondering if there are any rumbling on the title....other than most of us would welcome a blu ray!

Nothing new. The last news, about a year ago from the Digital Bits, was that although Fox isn't contractually obligated to do so, they won't issue a new version until James Cameron approves a master, and Cameron has continually been unavailable to do so. Frankly, in most cases, approving a master is not a time consuming process. This could and should have been done years ago.

There is a new HD transfer of the theatrical version in existence, and it has been shown on HBO and other cable outlets. I don't believe it's on HBO currently, but it was on HBO Go for a while, then left, then returned, and then left again, so at least it exists. By not putting it out on disc (or at least on streaming services where people can pay to rent it), it almost has the effect of encouraging people to bootleg it.

There aren't many big unreleased titles left that could still generate significant attention, and this is one of those handfuls. It's a head-scratcher that all parties have allowed inertia to be the guiding force here.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
THE ABYSS is 27 years old; TRUE LIES, 22. Mainstream interest in these titles, the former a boxoffice disappointment, passed a long time ago.Those of us posting here are interested, but we're not mainstream.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Exactly. Nothing ages quicker than yesterday's blockbusters. The same studio that distributed these is hoping that viewers recall the fresh as a daisy INDEPENDENCE DAY this summer. It's a mere 20 years old...

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
What's True Lies? [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but it's a really terrific spy/comedy/romance thriller starring Schwarzenegger, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Tom Arnold.

I own the non-anamorphic DVD releases of both this movie and "The Abyss SE", but I absolutely cannot stand to view either transfer on my 1080p projector.

The "current" releases to DVD occurred in the year 2000. So we have now been waiting 16+ years for Cameron to make time to approve new transfers for both of these movies.

I'm starting to get a little restless ...

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but it's a really terrific spy/comedy/romance thriller starring Schwarzenegger, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Tom Arnold.

I own the non-anamorphic DVD releases of both this movie and "The Abyss SE", but I absolutely cannot stand to view either transfer on my 1080p projector.

The "current" releases to DVD occurred in the year 2000. So we have now been waiting 16+ years for Cameron to make time to approve new transfers for both of these movies.

I'm starting to get a little restless ...

I think the smiley faces indicate sarcasm. The previous post made reference that it has taken so long for Fox and Cameron to release these titles that people that remember them will die away before they are released so no one will know how entertaining they are, when or if they are released.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Hell, I'd settle for anamorphic DVD at this point. A hex on the self-important Mr. Cameron -- now behaving like Wade Williams -- for ignoring the pleas of his many ABYSS fans for a proper Blu-ray. How long could it take for him to approve a transfer? A week? Two?

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Hell, I'd settle for anamorphic DVD at this point. A hex on the self-important Mr. Cameron -- now behaving like Wade Williams -- for ignoring the pleas of his many ABYSS fans for a proper Blu-ray. How long could it take for him to approve a transfer? A week? Two?

There was an HD version that I watched On-Demand late last year, but can't remember which channel. It looked good, except for the obligatory cable/streaming banding. I should've recorded it, because it wasn't around long and hasn't been back since.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
After all this time it's simply beyond ridiculous that The Abyss and True Lies remain in such a sorry state, and that we're still lamenting that fact in the year 2016.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Yeah, but if things like The Last Action Hero get a decent blu ray release, what gives? It's just as old. And it flopped in theaters.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah, but if things like The Last Action Hero get a decent blu ray release, what gives? It's just as old. And it flopped in theaters.
Because John McTiernan currently isn't in a position to make any decisions as to how his movies are released?

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Well, I just was trying to relate that it was just as old as True Lies and they were both Arnold films. Plus, there was mention further up the thread about relevance 20 years later

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks