What's new

2016 Big Holiday Release Guesses (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys,

Usually the powers that be give us TWO big tv DVD collections during the Holiday Season. Time Life used to do this, but I don't know if they're still doing it. Well, anyhoo, I thought I might try guessing the two big releases upcoming in October/November.

One will be either "I'll Fly Away," or "Chicago Hope." The other will either be "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea," Blue Ray, or another Irwin Allen series

Would the Star Trek Animated Complete Series on Blue Ray count as a Big Holiday Release.

James

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Well here are a couple of guesses.....but with this being an election year, I think most studios are being "cautious". In the past years, around this time (or sooner in the year) there has been an announcement of a big series by now. StarVista/Time Life always has made an announcement by now....but they haven't. If they decide to release any big show.....I am hoping that it will be a continuation of possibly more "Carol Burnett Shows" (I believe Carol Burnett is contracted with them until the end of 2017). If not that, since StarVista/Time Life is associated with Warner Brothers (Time-Warner), I am hoping they would release something like "Knots Landing". I doubt it will happen, but hoping this studio would release it because they seem to have better luck (along with Shout Factory!) in getting music rights cleared faster. Warner Archives takes forever to get any of the tv shows with music clearance problems to get released!!!

I wrote to Shout Factory! last year on their facebook page about "The Drew Carey Show" and they were definitely looking into it. They even got several other posts (after me) requesting the show and were very positive about this show for a possible future release. So I am hoping that "The Drew Carey Show" might make it this year with Shout Factory! (Hoping a completed series set.....but at this point I will settle for season sets).

VEI Entertainment has a bunch of shows they were supposed to release soon but hasn't come to light yet. "Angie", "Evening Shade" and about 8 other shows are still on their "coming soon" page.....so hopefully we will see some of these pop up in October/November.

Mill Creek released "The 70's Show" last year on Blu-ray. There was an article I read that they were remastering some other shows to HD for Blu-ray releases ("Roseanne", "Cosby Show", and "3rd Rock From The Sun"). Now I realize that "Roseanne" and "The Cosby Show" were filmed on video tape, however the article stated these shows were considered for future Blu-ray releases....so it's yet to be seen. Also Mill Creek is suppose to have gotten rights to "Coach" series, and planning to rerelease
season sets on DVD and possibly a completed series?

Other Blu-ray "rumors" I have seen on another website, shows future "pending" releases of "Seinfeld", "Everybody Loves Raymond", "2 and Half Men", "Hogan Heroes" , "Bewitched" and "I Dream Of Jeannie". There has been more definite news about "The Shield" coming to Blu-Ray in recent news. And Paramount Studios is rumored to be considering "The Brady Bunch to Blu-ray in honor of an upcoming anniversary? And of course, there is definite plans of "The Monkees" coming to Blu-ray on June 24th, providing they don't change the release date again (they have changed it 3 times already).

I have lost hope in the Warner Archives.....they have so many shows that I want from them ("Alice", "The Drew Carey Show", "Knots Landing", "Murphy Brown" and "Falcon Crest") I know that all these shows are stalled cause of the music clearances, but it seems that other studios like StarVista and Shout Factory! seem to get music clearances done quicker. Sorry, I am just getting impatient for these shows :(

Please note, that all of these that I have mentioned for a possibly Fall/Holiday Season release need to be taken with a grain of salt.....it's mostly of what I have read on other websites as well as this one. Trying to stay hopeful :)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
St. Elsewhere...stalled long ago and conspiculously absent from rumors of any kind. A long running hit with marketable star power.( Denzel, Howie, etc). This one screams Time/Vista bog set with extras IMO.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Would be nice if Warner would clear up the music rights stuff and put out a big box set of 77 or Hawaiian Eye for the Holidays.
Also feel at some point a large set of Green Hornet with documentaries/interviews etc would be in order if they clear up the rights stuff with this. Hey, if they could clear Batman, this one should be a walk in the park.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
St. Elsewhere...stalled long ago and conspiculously absent from rumors of any kind. A long running hit with marketable star power.( Denzel, Howie, etc).

Why not Shout since they did the Complete Hill Street Blues? I would be so ready for a complete Series boxset.!!!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
As time goes by, I'd like to revisit Trapper John, M.D., so I wouldn't mind seeing it released as a big set.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Just looked at the VEI Entertainment website. In their "Coming Soon" section of their website....they had a slew of shows that were listed on there (about 10-12 shows.........shows like "Angie" and "Evening Shade"). But it looks like were not going to get too much from VEI now.....their "Coming Soon" page only lists these two shows:

"Untouchables"
"Petrocelli"

If you like these two shows.....your in luck. For me....it looks like a very bleak Holiday Season from the studios this year!!! :(

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for bringing this topic back up. So far we've heard about more releases from Carol Burnett, Johnny Carson, and Hee Haa, Well maybe that Star Trek 50 th anniversary Blu Ray release, but not much from what I was expecting which has been mentioned here.

James

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Just looked at the VEI Entertainment website. In their "Coming Soon" section of their website....they had a slew of shows that were listed on there (about 10-12 shows.........shows like "Angie" and "Evening Shade"). But it looks like were not going to get too much from VEI now.....their "Coming Soon" page only lists these two shows:

"Untouchables"
"Petrocelli"

If you like these two shows.....your in luck. For me....it looks like a very bleak Holiday Season from the studios this year!!! :(
I think the Barnaby Jones debacle blew up in their face personally.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Neil was the one who first predicted that VEI was going to lose money on these shows and I personally agreed. I mean they were releasing shows that Paramount stopped because of poor sales or series that CBS already determined as not worth the risk due to low sales. There only reasoning had to be CBS offering them to them cheap since no remastering was done. I know a lot of the stalled shows have their fans so the low sales on the shows is not meant as a dis on the show just a reality check. The poor quality and high price for these releases were the nail in the coffin.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil was the one who first predicted that VEI was going to lose money on these shows and I personally agreed. I mean they were releasing shows that Paramount stopped because of poor sales or series that CBS already determined as not worth the risk due to low sales. There only reasoning had to be CBS offering them to them cheap since no remastering was done. I know a lot of the stalled shows have their fans so the low sales on the shows is not meant as a dis on the show just a reality check. The poor quality and high price for these releases were the nail in the coffin.
And love him or hate him, he's usually spot on with his stuff. If I'd've had the money, Barnaby Jones would've been day one purchase for me; now I'm glad I didn't. It isn't so much the picture quality that bothers me, it's the fact they used substandard edited episodes. The Syndication Bible says unedited episodes are available for distribution, so unless VEI got a substantial break for using the edited versions, I don't see any reason they couldn't have chosen unedited masters.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert

"Untouchables"
"Petrocelli"

I had been waiting for "Angie" too and it looks like it isn't going to happen now. That's disappointing. Maybe the masters were in bad shape.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I had been waiting for "Angie" too and it looks like it isn't going to happen now. That's disappointing. Maybe the masters were in bad shape.
All the masters that VEI released were in bad shape but that didn't stop them from releasing the previous sets. It was poor sales of those sets that cancelled the other shows.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Whether I'm in for a specific title or not, it always bothers me to discover that the best accessible elements weren't utilized.

As for BARNABY JONES, unfortunately like many U.S. based releases, the price point never came close to reaching a low enough level for me to seriously consider placing an order, although I did follow it's HTF Topic with some interest. If the series didn't cost that much for VEI as has been speculated, especially knowing the quality of the elements were somewhat sub-par, in my opinion, a lower price point might have been in order. If the presumed failure of this release to sell in sufficient quantities to ensure the issuing of other series, such as ANGIE (I remember my late brother briefly having a bit of a crush on the late Donna Pescow!), the more's the pity!

CHEERS! :)

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn

"Untouchables"
"Petrocelli"

Sorry to hear that about VEI. Over the years they have released some of my favorites that had been abandoned by the big guys. Selfishly, I'm glad I got Cannon and Barnaby before they decided to pull the plug. About all I know I can look forward to for this holiday season is Rifleman season 4. But I really have very little to complain about. I have tons of fun stuff to watch.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
So, I guess that also means no releases of The Immortal, Longstreet or The Magician, either (each of which were single-season shows, that could each have been completed in one DVD set)... damn. :(

Since these three short-lived cult series were made available to VEI, I wonder if some other outfit (like Timeless) could conceivably pick them up from CBS/Paramount, down the line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks