What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Hail, Caesar -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Universal has released the Coen Brothers' latest, a white comedy about pinko commies in the motion picture industry at the beginning of the second half of the 20th century.

What was an extremely serious situation, in which numerous careers were destroyed, and some were imprisoned by an out of control Federal government, has been turned upon its head, with George Clooney doing what he does best for the Coen's -- making funny faces.

Hail, Caesar! is a fun film, that probably works at about 75%, and ties in pleasantly with The Russians are Coming!

Shot on film, in 3-perf, and completed as a 4k DI, Universal's Blu-ray is a high quality affair, and a terrific viewing experience. Is there a UHD release in the offing?

If you wish you could have been on set in the early '50s, and crave seeing camera dollies in action, Hail, Caesar is a fun ride.

Be aware that (hopefully) part of the joke is the toying with tech film history, which is fully out of whack here.

My favorite character?

Frances McDormand's chain-smoking editor.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I was disappointed by Hail Caesar! - I didn't laugh for the first 20 minutes, which is a problem when the film is supposed to be a comedy. There were a couple of good musical numbers though and I totally agree with you that Frances McDormand was the best part of the movie!

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I liked Barton Fink and it's story of a 1940's New York play writer working for a Hollywood studio. Will see this new one for sure.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I liked the film.Yes, it is not their best work and it seems a bit tossed off but I really like the way these guys tell a story.

So, in terms of Paul's question about tone...I think that there has been a big shift in tone with regards to the brother's films. This shift I think starts at Burn After Reading. Mainly in terms of how they present and treat the characters. In the older films I feel like there was a doorway to liking the characters and feeling something for them. In the later films they seem to openly want to present characters as morons or assholes to be mocked, laughed at, disgusted by, or despised with little regard to feeling anything positive for them...other than a certainty that they are basically doomed. The newer films seem to be about utterly crushing their characters and their characters basically deserving what they get.

It seems a lot like they are creating what would be stereotypical caricatures of American idiots and assholes and crushing them under their own stupidity and ignorance. I feel like the older films were not as cruel and mocking toward the characters. They still create characters that are interesting and memorable and they still tell a story well but there seems to be less love for the characters and more cruelty. I mean, that's my take and I'm not sure if others feel that way about it.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I liked the film.Yes, it is not their best work and it seems a bit tossed off but I really like the way these guys tell a story.
It seems a lot like they are creating what would be stereotypical caricatures of American idiots and assholes and crushing them under their own stupidity and ignorance. I feel like the older films were not as cruel and mocking toward the characters. They still create characters that are interesting and memorable and they still tell a story well but there seems to be less love for the characters and more cruelty. I mean, that's my take and I'm not sure if others feel that way about it.
Sullivan's Travels is one great older film about Hollywood director where the characters were interesting and memorable.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I was sooo looking forward to this but it turned out to be a big disappointment. It's not totally worthless but definitely seeing it once was enough for me and I'm not adding it to my collection. I wouldn't suggest a blind buy but check it out first.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Clooney, McDormand...and let's not forget Johansson. :D

brothersgrim.jpg

hail-caesar.jpg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Have not seen this film...yet. Have it on preorder.

Have become a huge COEN BROTHERS fan over the years so I suspect I will enjoy this Blu-ray.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think the thing to know about it going in is that the focus of the film is the Brolin character with Clooney being the next most substantial part. Everybody else has basically a cameo, they turn up do their bit and they are gone. This makes the film feel more like a series of skits than anything else...which I think was the intent. Like Mr. Harris I loved Frances McDormand's character and really you could have done an entire film on her but she just has one brief scene in the film...it's great but like the other characters she just gets the cameo and she is gone. It's a bit dry, which now seems more the Coen's style, and your mileage may depend upon how funny you think their recreations of scenes from older movies are and the tributes to older movie stars.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
No matter how good or bad this film is, the Coens did leave us with RAISING ARIZONA in 1987, which is the looniest and most hilarious slapstick event since the silent era. All their future attempts at screwball comedy could fail miserably and I would still revere them for that effort alone. Fortunately, some good ones have since emerged, even if not quite as side-splitting funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks