What's new

Trapper John MD (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Considering Shout is puting out Lou Grant, Do you think they will touch this one. or if not them, maybe somebody else. I know it's Fox but it's a big pretty substantial long runner from the late 70's-early 80's to not merit any kind of release.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I enjoyed the show as a kid when it was originally running on CBS. Apart from being owned by Fox though, the big mark against its release is that it's a medical drama. For whatever reason, they seem to do very poorly in the Classic TV-on-DVD market. (Dr. Kildare and Medical Center are the two exceptions, but since they are from Warner Archive with their different business model, they don't reflect the same marketplace truths.)

For some reason, science fiction and westerns do extremely well; sitcoms, spy shows, and detective shows do OK; and legal or medical shows are on life support if they come out at all. Interesting to see which genre fans buy dependably and which don't.

All that being said, I do hope that Lou Grant is a hit for Shout Factory and that it does push them toward other genres and shows like Trapper John.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I enjoyed the show as a kid when it was originally running on CBS. Apart from being owned by Fox though, the big mark against its release is that it's a medical drama. For whatever reason, they seem to do very poorly in the Classic TV-on-DVD market. (Dr. Kildare and Medical Center are the two exceptions, but since they are from Warner Archive with their different business model, they don't reflect the same marketplace truths.)

For some reason, science fiction and westerns do extremely well; sitcoms, spy shows, and detective shows do OK; and legal or medical shows are on life support if they come out at all. Interesting to see which genre fans buy dependably and which don't.

All that being said, I do hope that Lou Grant is a hit for Shout Factory and that it does push them toward other genres and shows like Trapper John.

I agree with you on this one. Why else will no one touch St. Elsewhere with a ten foot pole?

I happen to love medical dramas, and will buy Trapper John if released. I'm still smarting from Marcus Welby being stalled.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
As much as I want to say just omit some music to have St. Elsewhere released on DVD, it would seriously damage certain episodes of the show.
"Psycho Killer" by the Talking Heads playing while Dr. Fiscus (Howie Mandel ) pranks another doctor is classic, and should not be altered.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I forgot all about this show. I remember watching it occasionally on Sunday night? I didn’t know there wasn’t a release of it yet. I love 70’s medical shows.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I forgot all about this show. I remember watching it occasionally on Sunday night? I didn’t know there wasn’t a release of it yet. I love 70’s medical shows.

And speaking of which, I'm seeing one that was kind of like that, that was about not just doctors and nurses, but paramedics as well-- that 1972-77 NBC hit Emergency! (pretty good so far as I've gotten in the second go).

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
St. Elsewhere is a different story from the others. Music rights nightmare.
I would think that if Shout! could deal with all the music rights issues on WKRP in Cincinnati, then St. Elsewhere would be a piece of cake. Not every show had music to be licensed as did WKRP.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc

I hate when I think I’ve got something to contribute to a thread and see I had the same thought a few months ago!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks