What's new

Basement Build: Need suggestion for HVAC closet doors (1 Viewer)

Cyear

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
First time poster here that needs some input.

I'm finishing my basement and building a home theater area in a tight spot. I've basically had to frame around three sides of my HVAC in order to create this space which leaves me with a difficult decision on how create easy access to the front of the unit and not make it so obvious with two large doors. The back side of the HVAC is louvered for code so I'm able to create solid doors for the access side. The space was framed out at 74.5" and would obviously need two doors that swing outward. I've imagined anything from solid wood doors possibly painted (not really what I want) to maybe a framed drywall hidden setup. Beyond that I'd like to make it as quiet as possible since the seating area isn't far from here.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

IMG_0604_zpsip9d1eqp.jpg

BaconFat

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
What about instead of traditional doors, build some hinged wall panels. Make a frame out of 2x4 with extra bracing, then use mdf on the outside. Insulate the inside with some soundproofing material and insulate the walls. Use some magnetic "latches" of some sort to hold the doors closed. For doorknobs use some recessed door pulls.

Cyear

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Thanks! That's what I'm after but wasn't sure how to go about it. I'm going to pitch it to my builder and see what they think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks