What's new

GILLIGAN'S ISLAND - DVD SEASON & SERIES SETS (2004-2012) - Pros, Cons, Incongruities & Imponderables (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Released by Warner Brothers, the Gilligan's Island Season and series DVD sets were first issued in 2004/05 as double-sided/dual layered discs. The DVDs were housed in fold out cardboard casing, which included episode listings, and supplements information.

The above was reissued in 2012 on single-sided/dual layered DVDs. The discs are housed in a snap spindle setup within plastic snap casing. The episode listings, and supplements information are included as separate booklet inserts.

Pros:

For DVD format, the episodes from all 3 Seasons have a very decent bitrate, due to a comparatively low episode per DVD ratio. While the first Black & White Season has a maximum of 7 twenty five minute episodes per disc, the subsequent Color Seasons contain no more than 6 episodes per DVD! For a bit of perspective, 8 or 9 twenty two - twenty five minute episodes per DVD was, and is the most common scenario, although at least one home video company unfortunately routinely exceeds that, often by a significant margin!

Simple, user friendly menus that play the entire theme according to Season, with 'Play All' and 'Episodes' access options. Subtitles in English, French and Spanish are also included.

Cons:

No subtitles for the opening and closing themes.

Double-sided discs are inherently annoying and problematic. (2004/05 Season and series sets.)

Discs sometimes pop out of the snap casing (I only have this problem with Season 3*, for some unknown reason!). (2012 Season and series reissues)

Incongruities & Imponderables:

The inclusion of "More Episodes On Other Side Of Disc" on the 2012 reissues, are indicative that no menu alterations or modifications were done!

The Bamboo framing in the menus, while perfectly suited to this series, don't look unlike an option that can be accessed in any number of DVD Menu setup software programs! I'm just saying!

The best Color cover photo of the Gilligan's Island cast is featured on the Season 1 Black & White DVD set?!!?

Why does the first Season 1 disc only contain the Pilot episode, plus a few bonus extras? Whether on the single-sided DVD, or previously issued flipper discs, even with the extra supplements, this has always struck me as rather awkward! At least with the 2012 reissue, I suppose one could consider this the unofficial last Season 1 supplementary disc, if that makes it any easier. This doesn't quite work for me, unfortunately!

Some end of Season 2 supplements on its 6th DVD, which contain only two episodes, would have been nice!

While any Sherwood Schwartz commentary is welcome, was he on a single episode per Season set limit, and why are all three of these for early (In each Season!) episodes? In my opinion, commentary on the final Season 3 episode could have been most insightful!

Finally, what a shame that none of the then surviving Gilligan's Island cast members were rounded up to provide some much valued commentary from their perspectives for the initial 2004/05 releases! Among the now remaining two, I'm pretty sure that only Dawn Wells would be willing to provide some for any potential Blu-ray release, as Tina Louise has had little to do with the show (Other than informal cast reunions, without any commercial tie in!) since it's 1967 cancellation.

** Truth be told, I'd be very interested in hearing Tina Louise's side regarding why things became so sour between her and Sherwood Schwartz. Of course, it could very well be details that nobody wants to hear. That's just how life is, sometimes, sad to say!

* Could this perhaps be because of the Season 3 DVD set containing one fewer disc (5 DVDs), than for each of the first two (6 DVDs) Seasons? Crappy as its visual quality is (Not to mention, incomplete!), I've inserted my DIGIVIEW DVD of RESCUE FROM GILLIGAN'S ISLAND (1978), to put this to the test!

P.S. It didn't work! I can only figure that it must be some slight, but unfortunately unknown (Otherwise, I'd attempt to fix this!) anomaly with the casing! The only solution that I've found to be fairly effective is keeping the spine from shifting when opening the Season 3 DVD case, which itself can be a slightly tricky exercise! Incidentally, there is a somewhat better (At least, more complete!) version of RESCUE FROM GILLIGAN'S ISLAND available for viewing on YouTube!

** EDIT: See subsequent posts regarding Tina Louise and Sherwood Schwartz, who evidently got along just fine!

Last edited:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I suspect that at some point we'll see a blu release of Gilligan's Island. Frankly, I need to invest in S2 and S3, but I have other priorities since Gilligan sort of wore out on me as a teenager when it was in daily syndication. The first season was good when I revisited it, though I've subsequently mislocated one of the disks, so I guess buying all 3 seasons is what I'll have to do.

For the life of me, I can't understand why MPI or someone has not tackled the reunion movies in a professional manner. I've watched the reunion movies and they don't fare any worse than The Return of the Beverly Hillbillies for sheer camp and silliness. A blu release of the entire series along with the movies would be nice to have.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Cons:

Double-sided discs are inherently annoying and problematic. (2004/05 Season and series sets.)

Discs sometimes pop out of the snap casing (I only have this problem with Season 3*, for some unknown reason!). (2012 Season and series reissues)

And another con: you cannot skip the title track, even if you find it annoying. If you try to skip the title track and go right into the episode, it takes you out of the episode (so in essence, these are all one chapter for the lot-- no chapter divisions between the title track and the show and the end credits; others like this are the first release of Alfred Hitchcock Presents and the first release of Sanford and Son).

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I have the last 2 reunion movies from alternate sources, and both of those have Universal Studios tags on the very end of the movies, so the likelihood of a truly complete set with all 3 movies is slim, unless WB bought or licensed them from Universal.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I usually only revist this show when I pair it with The Brady Bunch(Just like I used to watch it after school in the early 80's). It is still very fun. I agree the missed opportunity for commentaries is just sad.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
After my brief revisit to the DIGIVIEW disc version of RESCUE FROM GILLIGAN'S ISLAND (1978) and seeing the somewhat superior (Though still no great shakes!) version on YouTube, it made me just want to toss my crappy VHS (And not even decent VHS- Just pure crap right down to the chopped up opening titles!) quality DVD, for which the cover and disc label are the best aspects! :P

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I have the double sided discs season sets and one episode in season one doesn't play. Diamonds are An Ape's Best Friend quits about halfway through. It's very annoying but I don't know if I want to re-buy the whole series to get single sided sets, which I have other sets with those and they can have issues too. Gilligan is a fun series :)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Released by Warner Brothers, the Gilligan's Island Season and series DVD sets were first issued in 2004/05 as double-sided/dual layered discs. The DVDs were housed in fold out cardboard casing, which included episode listings, and supplements information.

The above was reissued in 2012 on single-sided/dual layered DVDs. The discs are housed in a snap spindle setup within plastic snap casing. The episode listings, and supplements information are included as separate booklet inserts.

Pros:

For DVD format, the episodes from all 3 Seasons have a very decent bitrate, due to a comparatively low episode per DVD ratio. While the first Black & White Season has a maximum of 7 twenty five minute episodes per disc, the subsequent Color Seasons contain no more than 6 episodes per DVD! For a bit of perspective, 8 or 9 twenty two - twenty five minute episodes per DVD was, and is the most common scenario, although at least one home video company unfortunately routinely exceeds that, often by a significant margin!

Simple, user friendly menus that play the entire theme according to Season, with 'Play All' and 'Episodes' access options. Subtitles in English, French and Spanish are also included.

Cons:

Incongruities & Imponderables:

The inclusion of "More Episodes On Other Side Of Disc" on the 2012 reissues, are indicative that no menu alterations or modifications were done!

The Bamboo framing in the menus, while perfectly suited to this series, don't look unlike an option that can be accessed in any number of DVD Menu setup software programs! I'm just saying!

The best Color cover photo of the Gilligan's Island cast is featured on the Season 1 Black & White DVD set?!!?

Why does the first Season 1 disc only contain the Pilot episode, plus a few bonus extras? Whether on the single-sided DVD, or previously issued flipper discs, even with the extra supplements, this has always struck me as rather awkward! At least with the 2012 reissue, I suppose one could consider this the unofficial last Season 1 supplementary disc, if that makes it any easier. This doesn't quite work for me, unfortunately!

Some end of Season 2 supplements on its 6th DVD, which contain only two episodes, would have been nice!

While any Sherwood Schwartz commentary is welcome, was he on a single episode per Season set limit, and why are all three of these for early (In each Season!) episodes? In my opinion, commentary on the final Season 3 episode could have been most insightful!

Finally, what a shame that none of the then surviving Gilligan's Island cast members were rounded up to provide some much valued commentary from their perspectives for the initial 2004/05 releases! Among the now remaining two, I'm pretty sure that only Dawn Wells would be willing to provide some for any potential Blu-ray release, as Tina Louise has had little to do with the show (Other than informal cast reunions, without any commercial tie in!) since it's 1967 cancellation.

Truth be told, I'd be very interested in hearing Tina Louise's side regarding why things became so sour between her and Sherwood Schwartz. Of course, it could very well be details that nobody wants to hear. That's just how life is, sometimes, sad to say!

* Could this perhaps be because of the Season 3 DVD set containing one fewer disc (5 DVDs), than for each of the first two (6 DVDs) Seasons? Crappy as its visual quality is (Not to mention, incomplete!), I've inserted my DIGIVIEW DVD of RESCUE FROM GILLIGAN'S ISLAND (1978), to put this to the test!

P.S. It didn't work! I can only figure that it must be some slight, but unfortunately unknown (Otherwise, I'd attempt to fix this!) anomaly with the casing! The only solution that I've found to be fairly effective is keeping the spine from shifting when opening the Season 3 DVD case, which itself can be a slightly tricky exercise! Incidentally, there is a somewhat better (At least, more complete!) version of RESCUE FROM GILLIGAN'S ISLAND available for viewing on YouTube!
A couple of points:
1. Does anyone really need subtitles for the opening and closing themes? Perhaps those born with a hearing disability, but I can't imagine anyone else.
2. I think the only conflict between Tina Louise and Sherwood Schwartz was brief. Maybe there's an unofficial story, but what I have heard is that Tina's agent lied to her about the show and told her that she would be the central character. She resented not being the central character. Schwartz always was very positive about her and invited her to participate in all of the post-series projects. She has said very nice things about him, including when he passed away. I think she married money so that she didn't need the acting income.
3. One of the best TV books I've read is Schwartz's account of producing Gilligan's Island: https://www.amazon.com/Inside-Gilli...786463686/ref=mt_paperback?_encoding=UTF8&me=
Check it out!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I picked up the entire single-sided series at Best Buy a few years ago for about $25. Well worth it as I really loathe those flippin' flippers!
Speaking of those loathsome flipper discs,it turns out my better copy (Still somewhat ratty looking, but at least it's complete, and the visual is quite noticeably better!) of RESCUE FROM GILLIGAN'S ISLAND (1978) is on one side of one of those (By Treasure Box Collection), with three episodes of DUSTY'S TRAIL (1973),under the WACKIEST WAGON IN THE WEST banner, on the other side!

The better copy of RFGI, and I can't even bloody well include it with my GILLIGAN'S ISLAND season sets, because it's on a stupid flipper disc! It figures!! :rolleyes:

I'll likely just toss out the DIGIVIEW pos DVD at some point! :P

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
A couple of points:
1. Does anyone really need subtitles for the opening and closing themes? Perhaps those born with a hearing disability, but I can't imagine anyone else.
2. I think the only conflict between Tina Louise and Sherwood Schwartz was brief. Maybe there's an unofficial story, but what I have heard is that Tina's agent lied to her about the show and told her that she would be the central character. She resented not being the central character. Schwartz always was very positive about her and invited her to participate in all of the post-series projects. She has said very nice things about him, including when he passed away. I think she married money so that she didn't need the acting income.
3. One of the best TV books I've read is Schwartz's account of producing Gilligan's Island: https://www.amazon.com/Inside-Gilli...786463686/ref=mt_paperback?_encoding=UTF8&me=
Check it out!
1. True enough, especially for those of us who grew up with the endlessly syndicated GI reruns! Still, subtitles would be nice for the sake of completion, and it also has me wondering whether subtitles for songs within episodes were also ignored? The season 2 episode "Don't Bug The Mosquitoes" springs to mind!

2. Now that you mention it, I now recall having heard exactly what you noted regarding Tina Louise and Sherwood Schwartz, minus her words about him after he passed away! I should look that up, sometime!

3. I'm not really in a book buying mode at the moment, but that one might be worth a read (Amazon Canada actually has decent pricing for this title, at present!)! Thank you very much for posting the link for this, Joe!

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'm not really in a book buying mode at the moment, but that one might be worth a read (Amazon Canada actually has decent pricing for this title, at present!)! Thank you very much for posting the link for this, Joe!

There was an earlier edition than the one to which I linked and you might be able to find it cheaper (in the U.S. like 1 cent).

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I strongly recommend this book ..
293244.jpg

Russell has insights on Ms Louise etc.
(She considered herself a "Broadway" actress and felt her career suffered from her association with the show)

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I strongly recommend this book ..
293244.jpg

Russell has incites on Ms Louise etc.
(She considered herself a "Broadway" actress and felt her career suffered from her association with the show)
I also recall Natalie Schafer (Lovey Howell) commenting about GI having hurt her career, although she did also enjoy her time on the show. Natalie said whenever she appeared on stage after the series ended, the audience's first reaction, obviously remembering her as Mrs. Howell, would be laughter!

On the other hand, the one GI cast member who never seemed to have an issue with being typecast was Alan Hale, Jr, who I believe sometimes dressed as the Skipper in his restaurant! I think he was a lot like his dad, Alan Hale, Sr, in that he just loved life, and all the wonderful things in it! That's my take, anyway!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Here are the front DVD covers for all 3 GILLIGAN'S ISLAND season sets (From worst to best!):

Season 2 (#3)
10381Gilligan_s_Island_The_Complete_Second_Season .jpg

In my opinion, the imaging just looks so garish! The first GI Color Season Cover deserved better treatment! YEECH!!

Season 3 (#2)
10381Gilligan_s_Island_The_Complete_Third_Season .jpg

A bit better than Season 2, but still garish! Thankfully, these aren't at all representative of how the imaging actually looks on the DVDs!

Season 1 (#1)
351Gilligans_Island_S1 .jpg

Isn't it just a bit ironic that the GI DVD cover with the most accurate color representation of the series actually appears on its lone Black & White season? Weird!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I also recall Natalie Schafer (Lovey Howell) commenting about GI having hurt her career, although she did also enjoy her time on the show. Natalie said whenever she appeared on stage after the series ended, the audience's first reaction, obviously remembering her as Mrs. Howell, would be laughter!

On the other hand, the one GI cast member who never seemed to have an issue with being typecast was Alan Hale, Jr, who I believe sometimes dressed as the Skipper in his restaurant! I think he was a lot like his dad, Alan Hale, Sr, in that he just loved life, and all the wonderful things in it! That's my take, anyway!

Being a gentleman I won't reveal the real age of Ms Schafer at the time of the show's production. She seems to enjoy that Sherwood Schwartz allowed her to work and gave her a walk-on on TBB :cool: after GI was cancelled.

b62f5e8f7dd8a69c8e19b2330916bb72.jpg

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Another incongruity is that the same photo of Gilligan peering within the Ship's Wheel frame is used on all three season sets!

I fully acknowledge that this is wading waist deep in the nitpicking pool! :D

Less nitpicking is my desire for an HD version of RESCUE FROM GILLIGAN'S ISLAND (1978) to be included if/when a series Blu-ray set is issued! In my opinion, we've tolerated crap PD versions long enough! While inclusion of the two subsequent specials would be fantastic, just getting the first as even a quality DVD transfer may be asking a bit much!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Being a gentleman I won't reveal the real age of Ms Schafer at the time of the show's production. She seems to enjoy that Sherwood Schwartz allowed her to work and gave her a walk-on on TBB :cool:
Suffice it to say that Natalie was easily the eldest GI cast member!

It does seem that Sherwood Schwartz got on well with all of the cast members (Including Tina Louise--My severe faux pas, regarding my previous comments on that!), who in turn, all enjoyed working with one another!

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I would've liked the option of the first season colorized..

Anyone have opinion on quality of this release?
8216e964-660f-40e2-a443-511f6777ae76_1.b346846f357f3d9ed2d5433bbf27daae.jpeg

Also another flaw -

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks