What's new

Ad blocker for Win10 Edge browser? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I need an ad blocker for Win10 Edge. Surfing the web on my HTPC is painful at times, having gotten used to Ghostery on my Mac. But Ghostery isn't out for Edge. Suggestions?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The AdBlock Plus plugin for Edge may now be available in the Windows Store. I know it's available for the preview builds but don't know for sure if it's available yet for the release version.

Otherwise, just install Firefox and put AdBlock Plus and NoScript extensions on it. It's better than Edge. Ghostery is also available for Firefox and you should be able to export your Mac Ghostery settings for importing into your Windows FF install.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
The AdBlock Plus plugin for Edge may now be available in the Windows Store. I know it's available for the preview builds but don't know for sure if it's available yet for the release version.

Otherwise, just install Firefox and put AdBlock Plus and NoScript extensions on it. It's better than Edge. Ghostery is also available for Firefox and you should be able to export your Mac Ghostery settings for importing into your Windows FF install.

I bounce back and forth between Edge and Firefox, but definitely prefer Firefox.

Are AdBlock and NoScript products I have to purchase? Maybe a function built into Firefox? I can't find them.

Sorry to be a pest, but it's so much easier to ask advice from others rather doing hours of searching for solutions.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I bounce back and forth between Edge and Firefox, but definitely prefer Firefox.

Are AdBlock and NoScript products I have to purchase? Maybe a function built into Firefox? I can't find them.

Sorry to be a pest, but it's so much easier to ask advice from others rather doing hours of searching for solutions.
They're not built-in but can be downloaded from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/ and are free. Once at that site search for what you want and click the "add to Firefox" button/box.

You have to "train" NoScript - basically tell it on a site-by-site basis just *which* JAVA is allowed to run. It's somewhat ridiculous how much offsite JAVA runs on many sites, most of which is there for nothing but tracking or serving 3rd party ads. If you're not sure whether or not to allow a site through do a google on the site name. Generally if the word "analytics" are there it's tracking. Some sites require several JAVA scripts to work propery - this one does - but you can enable them one by one, checking after each enable, to see if it's needed or not. If so, make it "permanent" and otherwise either don't let it run, run it temporarily for a click-through to work, or mark it "untrusted" to never allow it to run and not be asked about it again. I run in full-tilt tin-foil-hat mode and allow as little "3rd party JAVA" as possible to run. It can be a pain to train it for some sites and there've been many times I've decided I don't need/want the aggrivattion to find what works for some JAVA heavy sites and just leave them, never to return. I generally start by allowing the top domain and filter from there. Sites with "api" in the title are usually 3rd party programs a site needs to work. Usually because their own programmers are too lazy to write the necessary code for the site to work properly. Once you get the hang of training the plugin and get some sites tweaked you'll be amazed at how little ads you see and how much faster sites will work.

AdBlock Plus for Edge is in the Windows store and is also free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks