What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Swinging Cheerleaders -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Wherever one has an Intolerance, a Gone with the Wind, Citizen Kane or The Gunfighter, one needs a balance, and hence...

The Swinging Cheerleaders.

Cinema is, after all, cinema.

This 1974 very soft-core, directed by Jack Hill is quintessential of its kind, and Arrow has given it due respect down to the original 1.66:1 aspect ratio.

The original negative was scanned (pin-registered) at 2k. Color, grain structure, shadow detail, black levels, are all in a comfortable range, yielding a Blu-ray presentation that is far better than one might ever expect.

While the film's female lead is Jo Johnston, and who (as far as I can tell) never appeared on film again, the little treasure here is Cheryl aka Rainbeaux Smith, along with the extremely prolific, and highly talented, Colleen Camp.

What can one say about The Swinging Cheerleaders, except that it is of a certain era, and thanks to Arrow, it will be preserved better than it might have been.

Among Arrow's most recent releases, it's a tech winner, with superb extras, and a nice addition to any collection that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Image - 4.75

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
One of Jack Hills best. He manages to actually elevate the Cheerleader genre with this one. Can't wait for my copy to arrive.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Colleen Camp? In addition to all the other points presented here, that seals it for me.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
CHEERLEADERS WILD WEEKEND is already released!

Re: THE SWINGING CHEERLEADERS, I was considering cancelling my pre-order to get it later on, but dammit, I love Jack Hill's movies and now RAH's review? Oy vey... :P

moe green

Grip
Real Name
Jeff
I think this was the quickest Jack Hill film on record. It
seemed like he got the assignment (no script, but we got the poster) for the film and then it was in the theaters a few months later. It does look pretty good considering it was shot in two weeks and any film with Colleen Camp and Cheryl "Rainbeaux" Smith is worth checking out. This film also has an amazing cameo by Mae Mercer! The late 70's Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders TV movie, that was one highest rated movies of that time, seemed to have ripped off the plot from this film. Both films have a female reporter that goes undercover to expose the Cheerleaders only to find out how great they are etc....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks