What's new

My Receiver suddenly sees DTS-HD MA as plain old DTS (1 Viewer)

LincolnSpector

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lincoln Spector
My Yamaha RX-V465 receiver now sees DTS-HD MA as plain old DTS. AT least that's what is says on the display. It used to display DTS-HD MA. According to the display option on my Blu-ray player, the player is outputting DTS-HD Master Audio--as it should.

The receiver is in the middle of the daisy chain, connected directly via HDMI to both my Sony BDP-S3200 Blu-ray player, and my new Vizio P55-C1 TV.

Here's what happened before the change:

This is the first TV I've had with a ARC-capable HDMI port. I thought that, just for the hell of it, I'd see how it works. So I changed the cables, connecting the BD player directly to the TV, and the TV to the receiver. In other words, I put the TV in the middle of the daisy chain.

It didn't work at all. No sound came from the receiver. I tried a few audio options on the TV, but nothing got to the receiver.

Since it was only a test, it didn't bother me much. After all, from what I've read, HDMI ARC doesn't support the lossless audio formats anyway.

So I reconfigured the cables. I got sound again, but not DTS-HD MA. Dolby TrueHD worked fine, but DTS-HD MA is just DTS.

This happened a couple of weeks ago. I've swapped out cables. I've used different HDMI ports on both the TV and the receiver. I've fiddled with settings. Nothing has helped.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lincoln

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
My Yamaha RX-V465 receiver now sees DTS-HD MA as plain old DTS. AT least that's what is says on the display. It used to display DTS-HD MA. According to the display option on my Blu-ray player, the player is outputting DTS-HD Master Audio--as it should.

The receiver is in the middle of the daisy chain, connected directly via HDMI to both my Sony BDP-S3200 Blu-ray player, and my new Vizio P55-C1 TV.

Here's what happened before the change:

This is the first TV I've had with a ARC-capable HDMI port. I thought that, just for the hell of it, I'd see how it works. So I changed the cables, connecting the BD player directly to the TV, and the TV to the receiver. In other words, I put the TV in the middle of the daisy chain.

It didn't work at all. No sound came from the receiver. I tried a few audio options on the TV, but nothing got to the receiver.

Since it was only a test, it didn't bother me much. After all, from what I've read, HDMI ARC doesn't support the lossless audio formats anyway.

So I reconfigured the cables. I got sound again, but not DTS-HD MA. Dolby TrueHD worked fine, but DTS-HD MA is just DTS.

This happened a couple of weeks ago. I've swapped out cables. I've used different HDMI ports on both the TV and the receiver. I've fiddled with settings. Nothing has helped.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lincoln

I have a RX-V371 whose display shows just DTS when I switch it into mono, so perhaps you are in one of the DSP modes? You can hit the "Straight" button on the remote to make sure. (I assume these receivers are not too different.)

LincolnSpector

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lincoln Spector
I have a RX-V371 whose display shows just DTS when I switch it into mono, so perhaps you are in one of the DSP modes? You can hit the "Straight" button on the remote to make sure. (I assume these receivers are not too different.)[/QUOTE

I tried Direct, and that's made things worse. Now it sees DTS-HD MA as 2-track PCM. And nothing I can do can get it out of that

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I tried Direct, and that's made things worse. Now it sees DTS-HD MA as 2-track PCM. And nothing I can do can get it out of that

A couple more things to try or check:

a) You're not using the digital coax output too, are you?
b) Make sure the only HDMI connection is that between the receiver and player
c) In the Audio Setup menu of the player, make sure that BD Audio MIX is off and Downmix is on Surround
d) Reset to Factory Default Settings if nothing else is doing any good.

I have no experience with Sony BD players, so I hope this helps a little.

LincolnSpector

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lincoln Spector
A couple more things to try or check:

a) You're not using the digital coax output too, are you?
b) Make sure the only HDMI connection is that between the receiver and player
c) In the Audio Setup menu of the player, make sure that BD Audio MIX is off and Downmix is on Surround
d) Reset to Factory Default Settings if nothing else is doing any good.

I have no experience with Sony BD players, so I hope this helps a little.

Finally getting back to this.

a) I have an optical cable going from the TV to the receiver, for non-disc content. I don't see how that would effect it. I unplugged it It went back to DTS, but not MA HD.

b) The BD player has one only one cable, the HDMI cable to the receiver. I unplugged the other HDMI cable--the one that sends the video signal from the receiver to the TV. It went back to PCM.
THAT DID IT!!!! A thousand thanks.

I must of changed those settings when I was trying to figure out why ARC wasn't working. Since--according to what I'v'e read, ARC doesn't give you the lossless formats anyway, I won't bother with it again.

(That's sort of sad, because I would love to have a device-TV-receiver chain for everything. Now I'll just have it for everything except discs.)

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Finally getting back to this.

a) I have an optical cable going from the TV to the receiver, for non-disc content. I don't see how that would effect it. I unplugged it It went back to DTS, but not MA HD.

b) The BD player has one only one cable, the HDMI cable to the receiver. I unplugged the other HDMI cable--the one that sends the video signal from the receiver to the TV. It went back to PCM.
THAT DID IT!!!! A thousand thanks.

I must of changed those settings when I was trying to figure out why ARC wasn't working. Since--according to what I'v'e read, ARC doesn't give you the lossless formats anyway, I won't bother with it again.

(That's sort of sad, because I would love to have a device-TV-receiver chain for everything. Now I'll just have it for everything except discs.)

I don't even remember now why I brought up the optical cable, but I'm glad things have worked to the better for you.

I'm guessing you're the same guy I used to read in computer magazines in the 90s. In those days I subscribed to Byte, PC World, PC Magazine, Computer Shopper and probably more. Something makes me associate your name with Computer Shopper, but I could be wrong.

Any way, welcome to HTF! Hope you can stick around.

LincolnSpector

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lincoln Spector
Yep. I'm that guy, although I never wrote for PC Magazine or Computer Shopper.

I've actually just quit my PCWorld Q&A blog. My last piece goes live on July 28.

I'll get around to formally introducing myself on this blog soon.

Lincoln

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Go into the BR's set up menu & turn 2nd audio OFF (you can turn it back on if you need it for a BR commentary). This will fix the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks