What's new

A Spinoff of a Spinoff? (1 Viewer)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Was reading another thread about sequels and spinoffs, and got to thinking........has there been a spinoff of a spinoff? The only one I can think of (a show spins off a new show, then that show spins off another one) is Arrow spinning off The Flash, which then spun off Legends of Tomorrow. Am I wrong? Are there others?

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Was reading another thread about sequels and spinoffs, and got to thinking........has there been a spinoff of a spinoff? The only one I can think of (a show spins off a new show, then that show spins off another one) is Arrow spinning off The Flash, which then spun off Legends of Tomorrow. Am I wrong? Are there others?

I've seen Good Times listed as the first spinoff of a spinoff (spun off of Maude which was spun off AITF) but I think the spin offs of The Andy Griffith Show were the first because wasn't TAGS a spin off of Make Room For Daddy?

Popcorn1

Agent
Real Name
Richard
'Good Times' was a spinoff of 'Maude' which was a spinoff of 'All in the Family'.

And 'Checking In' was a spinoff of 'The Jeffersons', which was also a spinoff of 'All in the Family'.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've seen Good Times listed as the first spinoff of a spinoff (spun off of Maude which was spun off AITF) but I think the spin offs of The Andy Griffith Show were the first because wasn't TAGS a spin off of Make Room For Daddy?
I believe the Andy Taylor character appeared on MAKE ROOM FOR DADDY just once, which I think would make it more of a guest appearance that led to a separate series (Which in itself might have been the first of its kind?) starring that character, as opposed to a spinoff for a recurring character on a previous series, ala Frasier Crane from CHEERS.

Of course, neither of these are a spinoff of a spinoff, at any rate!

CHEERS! :)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I think the "Good Times" argument is a bit of a stretch because that always struck me more as a rebooting of the Florida Evans character and putting her in another universe. Her husband's name was different on "Maude" (though I believe John Amos did play the part) and there was never anything to indicate that the Evans family on "Good Times" lived anywhere but Chicago (and it wouldn't make sense for them to have relocated there!).

If you REALLY want to have some headaches, we might as well turn one of these threads into how every show connects with "St. Elsewhere" and remember since the last episode of "St. Elsewhere" revealed it was all in the autistic imagination of Westphal's kid, think of what that means for every other show!!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, NCIS:LA and NCIS:New Orleans were spun off from NCIS, which was spun off from JAG.

Although with many of these cases, it is more of a shared universe, with an episode of one serving as the pilot of the next.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Goollly !

Both Gomer Pyle USMC &
Mayberry RFD a spin off of TAGS that was a spin off of The Danny Thomas Show

06f0b414d84f5ed2754c791b6dad960d.jpg

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, NCIS:LA and NCIS:New Orleans were spun off from NCIS, which was spun off from JAG.

Although with many of these cases, it is more of a shared universe, with an episode of one serving as the pilot of the next.

Yeah, I'm not sure the "shared universe" shows are really spinoffs. Like the Law & Order series, CSI's, or all the Chicago PD/Fire/Med series.

Kind of like The Beverly Hillbillies/Petticoat Junction/Green Acres. They shared a universe, but were not really spinoffs, IMO.

My definition of a spinoff would take at least a semi-regular character from an established series and put him/her into their own separate series (like Cheers to Frasier; or Friends to Joey). I'm not sure I'd even consider Maude a true spinoff as the character only appeared once (or maybe twice) on AITF?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I believe it was a spinoff of "The Danny Thomas Show" ... :cool:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Slightly off topic, but according to information on IMDB, he same MAKE ROOM FOR DADDY episode which features Andy Griffith and Ronny Howard in their respective Andy and Opie Taylor characters, future "Aunt Bee" Frances Bavier also appears, but as a totally different non recurring character, Henrietta Perkins.

For what it's worth, Bea Arthur did appear twice as Maude on ALL IN THE FAMILY, which I believe technically made her character recurring, if only just barely!

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And don't forget years later when Edith recalled meeting Archie for the first time when she was out with her cousin Maude, how Archie then twisted his face and just went, "MAUDE???" :)

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
I guess if a character only appears once then the show probably wouldn't be considered a spinoff. In this case it would be a "backdoor pilot" type of situation. However, technically the resulting show would be considered by some to be a spinoff (depending on how successful the parent show is/was). It's all just a case of semantics.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
MAMA'S FAMILY is itself a rarity, in that it was a Family Sitcom spinoff from a Variety Show! :)

Of course, MF cast member, actor Ken Berry also starred in THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW spinoff, MAYBERRY, RFD!

And Rue McClanahan:
Was in Maude: Spinoff from AITF
&
The Golden Palace: Spinoff (reboot of Golden Girls)

golden-palace-ad.jpg

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
And of course Deep Space NINE
deep_space_nine_crew.jpg

was a spinoff on Star Trek-The Next Generation
latest

(and arguably Voyager was as well)

Then there was the Pre-quel to Star Trek (Classic)
startrekTTWT0.jpg

Enterprise:

star_trek_enterprise_poster_by_chrisstian-d2yurkf.png

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Nurses was a spin-off of Empty Nest which was a spin-off of The Golden Girls.

Neither spin-off has been released on DVD, not even the first season. Not surprising however seeing as how Disney owns the rights to both series, they are up there with Fox in my books for not releasing content on DVD/Blu-ray. Disney hasn't even released content from the popular Marvel library so forget about these lowly TV series getting a release.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"Laverne & Shirley", "Joanie Loves Chachi" and (arguably) "Mork & Mindy" were spinoffs from "Happy Days", which was in turn spun off from "Love, American Style".

I was going to suggest "The Critic" as a spinoff of "The Simpsons" which was spun off from "The Tracey Ullman Show", but after checking I see that the Jay Sherman character didn't actually appear on "The Simpsons" until after "The Critic" had already premiered.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
"Golden Girls" spun off "Empty Nest" and "Golden Palace"... and "Empty Nest" later spun off "Nurses".

And if you want to start getting *really* technical, try this... For "Golden Palace"'s second (aborted) season, writers wanted to lure back Bea Arthur, and the show would have seen the ladies sell the hotel and return to Blanche's old house, thus re-booting "Golden Girls". A spinoff leading to a spinoff leading to a reboot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks