What's new

Gotham Season 3 (2016-2017) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Production has started, according to the three videos in this link. The new season premieres Sept. 19.

I've had trepidations about the show since season 2 went in directions I didn't like, but I'll at least see how season 3 starts. I recently re-watched season 1 on blu-ray and enjoyed it pretty thoroughly (except for the Fish Mooney character). Yes, I know Fish is going to be in season 3; that's one point of trepidation.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...ns-heroes-will-fall-in-first-look-at-season-3

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"Gotham" Selina Kyle Camren Bicondova with 1966 Batman Catwoman Lee Meriwether at San Diego Comic Con:
Gotham_Bicondova_LeeMeriwether.jpg

She was interviewed alongside Julie Newmar awhile back as well. It's too bad that Earth Kitt passed away in '08. It would have been cool to have her meet the whole trio.

Robin Lord Taylor can't meet Penguin, since Burgess Meredith is dead. But while Cory Michael Smith can't meet the most famous Riddler, since Frank Gorshin is dead, he could meet John Astin, who is still with us and somewhat active as director of the Undergraduate Program in Theatre Arts and Studies at his alma mater, Johns Hopkins, where he has a 4.6 out of 5 on Rate My Professors.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This is a show that is lousy by so many objective measures, and yet I spend nearly every episode with a giant smile on my face for the entire hour. The beautiful noir cinematography, the set design that combines seventies era New York City at its grimy worst with Prohibition era polish, the absurdist nihilistic humor that combines campy caricatures with matter-of-fact bursts of shocking violence -- it all works for me.

Did Fish Mooney need to come back? No, certainly not. Dead should mean dead. But at least at she was used in the premiere, she fits into the ecosystem of the show and provides a pivot point to spur the other characters into action.

Would the Jim Gordon of my Batman callously use a woman as bait and then go on a bender rather than pound the pavement until he rescued her? No. But given a choice between this and the endless loop of Gordon getting kicked out of the GCPD and pulled back in, I much prefer this. In fact, I hope he spends the season as a bounty hunter.

They've made Selina less of a wide-eyed street urchin and more of a teenage rebel without a cause, who is a real player in the game. I like the way she continues to weave in and out of the other storylines. I also like the way Selina's relationship with Bruce is evolved. They speak around each other now, which is a lot more interesting than when they said exactly what they felt. The scene where she saw Ivy do all of the wrong things but couldn't do anything to stop it was well played. I'm going to miss Clare Foley's creepy dead-eyed stare as Ivy, but I'm glad they had an in-universe explanation of how the character got aged up, instead of just substituting in a new actress and hoping we wouldn't notice.

Penguin continues to be the MVP, a psychopath that lives a life of constant frustration about the ineptitude around him.

Speaking of psychopaths, Barbara Kean continues to be a lot more fun as an unhinged ones than she was as the repressed little rich girl with a drug habit.

And Bruce Wayne kicking down the doors of a Board of Directors meeting, accusing members of the board of being criminal conspirators in the vast cabal that pulls the strings in Gotham: pretty effective.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I decided to watch, despite my intense dislike of the Fish Mooney character and the performance of Jada Pinkett Smith. I could not have been more disappointed last season when they brought her back. The only saving grace in this season is that she is not listed as a series regular and rather just a "special guest star."

Other than her, I liked the premiere. It was strange enough to be curious but not sadistic, which is a turn off. The cinematography remains the best thing about the show, and it's among the very best on television.

I liked "Sirens," the female empowerment and the nod to the classic 60s TV series. (Where's Joan Collins when you need her?) I can accept Gordon as a bounty hunter for now (but get him back with the badge quick); I really liked Bruce's get-tough attitude with the board. (He's what? 17? 18?) I also liked Valerie Vale. As always, Harvey needs more to do. (Did we see Man-Bat?)

But Fish Mooney I can't stand. She looks like she just stepped out of some awful 80s music video. Please, end her story line and move on and make the show everything it can be.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Agree with the others comments here. Huge fan of Batman. I have had a love/hate relationship with this series. Some excellent casting for some characters (Alfred, Selena, Bruce) and then some bad ones. I am in the "can't friggen stand Mooney" camp. Over the top acting. Boring plot lines. Blah.
They really should have dug much, MUCH deeper into the Joker storyline. Not sure how they are planning to get that going again.

Slightly off topic, the Telltale computer game of Batman, in its 2nd chapter, is one of the better Batman stories I have watched/played/read. Fans of the Bat may want to check that out.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This show got priority viewing tonight since it was basically the only thing on except for the presidential debate, and I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a rusty nail than watch that.

Fish Mooney really irritated the crap out of me during her initial run on the show, but she isn't really bothering me this time around. Her scenes don't feel as self-indulgent; every one so far has moved the larger plot forward in ways that matter to the characters I do care about.

It was kind of interesting how blase the show was about Penguin's lynch mob overwhelming Fish's two minions and brutally beating them to death. In a way, the nihilism that pervades Gotham City on this show makes it one of the darker ones on network television, despite all of the camp humor.

In her early scenes as Ivy, Maggie Geha did a good job capturing Clare Foley's mannerisms and line delivery. Of course by the end of the episode, they had her in a slinky green dress. Still kind of creepy to sexual a character who is intellectually still a child, even if she's physically an adult now.

I'm really enjoying Jamie Chung as Valerie Vale. I wish they'd just kept her a dogged reporter with a flirtatious back-and-forth with Gordon. With the return of Leslie Tompkins, it looks like the fling is going to be short lived.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'm not going to be able to get past the scene in which Penguin has Fish Mooney in his sights and lets her go because she says some nice words to him. Completely implausible with everything else that's been established up to now.

Much of the rest of the episode was pretty good, and I love that old time train that Lee steps off at the end. Great cinematography in that shot.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
It was certainly one of the bloodier episodes. How many people got killed?
Sometimes the show goes to great lengths to show the grief of a cop that is killed...this time SO many died.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Well I'm certainly in the minority here, but I love the Fish Mooney character. Never read any of the comics, never even heard of her, but really enjoying her delightfully evil ways.

Second to Gordon, my favorite on the show. Penguin would be third.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Is anyone else afraid that they're going to kill off Bruce Wayne and let the Hugo Strange-programmed creation take his place as the one who becomes Batman?

The show seems to be set on keeping audiences guessing, never seeming to care if they alienate viewers in the process.

I kinda like the Mad Hatter, although he reminded me a little too much of Johnny Depp.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
No, and if they did, it would further remove this from being any serious origin series for Batman. I don't know the goal, but I do know the first thing would be to set up a code word for Alfred so this guy can't try to trick him into thinking he's Bruce.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This episode hit the Trump parallels a little heavy with Penguin's mayoral race. Ah to love Gotham, where a criminally insane man can become mayor and appoint another criminally insane mayor as his chief of staff.

Poor Bruce missed out on his first kiss with Selina, because his doppelganger got there first.

Jim and Lee appear to be mending fences.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Let me get this outta the way first......FISH MOONEY SUCKS.....ahem, ok. The season so far has been a bit blah, somewhat underwhelming. They need to get back to the Court of Owls, Bruce and Selina's growing relationship, and give us a taste of The Joker. The whole Jim Gordon, Barbara Keane, and Lee Tompkins triangle leaves me a bit dry. And PUHHLEEEEEZE give Harvey Bullock MORE TO DO.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Not a bad episode, but that was a pretty gruesome death for a young girl (Alice).

I'm also tired of the non-explanation of the doppleganger.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Not a bad episode, but that was a pretty gruesome death for a young girl (Alice).
Yes, though I think the way she was splayed out on the spike was supposed to evoke Alice falling down the rabbit hole. I did think they made the Mad Hatter's backstory too dark; instead of being a camp villain you love to hate, he's an incestuous pervert who sexually assaulted his sister from a young age and used mind control to prevent her from speaking out. That's just loathsome.

I'm also tired of the non-explanation of the doppleganger.
Me too, although it looks like that's about to come into focus. It was interesting seeing doppelganger Bruce do the kind of things we associate Batman with doing.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I finally get it: The show isn't meant to be taken seriously. It's black comedy. It's as campy as the '66 show - if that show was made by Tim Burton.

BTW, it's pretty cool that a plot from one episode of the '66 show (Penguin as mayor) has now served as a story in a movie (Batman Returns) and an episode of Gotham.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks