What's new

Is 3D technology on its way out (1 Viewer)

Llappin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leila
Hi all,

I was googling for 3D TV news, and came across a CNET blog declaring 3D TV doomed because Samsung dropped support for the technology. I have two questions. Is this true? If it is true, as experts viewers with a refined and discriminating taste in HT and movies, do you think that the technology should be dropped? What do you think?

Regards

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
LG still includes Passive 3-D in it's high-end models. Also, 3-D is still being incorporated in the projector market. BenQ, Epson, Optoma, JVC, Sony, and other projector manufacturers have yet to give up on 3-D for their projector models.

There's a chance that 3-D TV's could be revived. Possibly in the form of glasses-free models. Samsung is also manufacturing and promoting 3-D capable VR headsets.

Llappin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leila
LG still includes Passive 3-D in it's high-end models. Also, 3-D is still being incorporated in the projector market. BenQ, Epson, Optoma, JVC, Sony, and other projector manufacturers have yet to give up on 3-D for their projector models.

There's a chance that 3-D TV's could be revived. Possibly in the form of glasses-free models. Samsung is also manufacturing and promoting 3-D capable VR headsets.

Do you think that 3D is a less preferred viewing experience than UHD and newer technologies?

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
3D technology will continue to exist for quite some time.

Theatrically, it's not going anywhere. It's much more popular internationally than domestically, but there's still a domestic audience for it. More people saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens theatrically in 3D than 2D.

For the home, though, it's going to continue to become a more specialized or high end thing. I think it's here to stay for home projectors. For TVs, it's probably going to be in top-of-the-line models and little else. If you're a fan of 3D at home, I don't think it'll stop being an option overnight, but we'll probably have to look a little harder next time we're TV shopping.

Llappin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leila
3D technology will continue to exist for quite some time.

Theatrically, it's not going anywhere. It's much more popular internationally than domestically, but there's still a domestic audience for it. More people saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens theatrically in 3D than 2D.

For the home, though, it's going to continue to become a more specialized or high end thing. I think it's here to stay for home projectors. For TVs, it's probably going to be in top-of-the-line models and little else. If you're a fan of 3D at home, I don't think it'll stop being an option overnight, but we'll probably have to look a little harder next time we're TV shopping.

It's too bad that the TV manufacturers are dropping 3D TV. I rather enjoy my 3D experience at home.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
Do you think that 3D is a less preferred viewing experience than UHD and newer technologies?

I see 3-D as more of a special occasion. UHD, like HD before it is suited to casual viewing and will become more of an everyday mundane experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks