Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
richard-gallagher

The Member of the Wedding Blu-ray Review

The-Member-of-the-Wedding2-1024x576.jpg

During the course of her life Carson McCullers wrote several provocative and evocative novels which take place in the southern United States and focus on characters that have trouble fitting into their surroundings. The Member of the Wedding is based upon her third novel, but was the first to be made into a film. It has been brought to Blu-ray by Twilight Time with a beautiful transfer...
Click here to read the original article.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Harris is outstanding in this. However, it's one of those "to upgrades or not to upgraders". I'm pretty happy with my dvd.
I don't have the DVD to make a comparison. Am I correct that most of the extras on the BD are the same, other than the new commentary track?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thanks for this review.

This is the only Fred Zinnemann film I didn't enjoy. That was so long ago that it's possible I might respond differently this time. As the disc is so good, I am really tempted.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Thanks for this review.

This is the only Fred Zinnemann film I didn't enjoy. That was so long ago that it's possible I might respond differently this time. As the disc is so good, I am really tempted.
I have the DVD from a Stanley Kramer boxed set. I doubt I will revisit the movie on blu. I thought I'd love the film because I knew going in that it featured another tour-de-force from Julie Harris. But I found Frankie to be quite obnoxious, and the talkiness of the film/play only accentuated it. It's a great cast, though and really a well-made film. I just didn't see it as a film with a lot of replay value for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks