What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Criminal -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Criminal is a typical product of Millennium Films, via Summit (Lionsgate), which means that it's a quality film, produced with a well thought-out ethic, for funding via foreign sales, with top names, usually no longer in their absolute prime -- but still very capable -- and usually showing more dollars on screen than one might expect.

Think The Expendables series.

In the case of Criminal, Ariel Vromen is at the helm. A relatively new Israeli filmmaker, educated at NYU and LA Film School, with a UK law degree.

Shot in the UK, the major names attached are Kevin Costner, Gary Oldman and Tommy Lee Jones, with Gal Gadot thrown in good measure, along with an uncredited Ryan Reynolds. I know I recognized him from somewhere.

An interesting premise, kicks off a very interesting performance from Mr. Costner, who as part of his character has picked up grunt-like sounds previously used by Billy Bob Thornton.

All in all, an interesting tale, and a good way to spend a couple of hours.

The film was shot on an Alexa, and combined as a 2k DI in Bulgaria.

The resultant 4k UHD release mit HDR works beautifully (although on my system, with Samsung and Sony still at war, I was advised that since I did not have 4k availability, the image was being run in HD). That's not what my eyes were telling me, as the imagery was highly resolved, although obviously up-rezzed.

Audio is huge DTS-HD MA.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I enjoyed this film during my theatrical experience this past year. I didn't buy the 4K release, but did purchase the Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks