What's new

What Speakers or Subwoofer Should I Buy (1 Viewer)

carlosC

Auditioning
What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Both

Primary Use: Movies and TV

Desired Configuration: 3.1

Room Size: 15x15

Is the room open to other areas of your home: Yes, open floor plan house

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? no

What's your budget (low to high): $2000 - $3000

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? Nope - Main challenge is that I don't have a lot of room to work with. As seen in the pic, the tv is right by the wall and the fireplace, and I don't have anywhere else to put it.

I would love some rear speakers, but just don't know how I could pull that off in a room like this.

I've been recommendd SVS, and I read good things about ELAC and KEF

What about the Bose Lifestyle 535 Series? The only reason I bring up this system is my lack of space.

Thanks for any input

Attachments

• IMG_1829.JPG
    IMG_1829.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Well you certainly have the budget, but man that setup is killing you. You have no room on either side of the TV for anything. This could be hard. Here are some thoughts I had.

1. Consider changing the orientation of the room. If you were to put the TV on the wall with the picture on it you could have more flexibility setting up your speakers. I know this is a long shot but I had to mention it. I'll continue assuming you're going to keep it the way it is.
  2. I would forget ELAC and SVS as they are going to be too big. With your current space I would stick with a sat/sub setup so it's not going to be too strange. These sets also come with a smaller sub that should fit into your space easier than a larger "typical" HT sub. I would look at the KEF E305 on sale for $1000 (reviewed on this forum), the DefTech ProCinema 600 5.1 set $700, or something like these. However, even these might be tight on stands on either side of the TV even with their smaller size.
  3. You might be better off getting something like a passive soundbar until you can improve the layout of the room. Something like this KEF HTF8003 for $900 would be worth consideration. You're still not getting great stereo separation but it should be a step up from the current unit you have. Keep in mind this will need an AVR to go with it as it's passive.
  4. Maybe you just go for a simple 2.1 setup like this Focal Little Bird $500 or Bird set $600 if you think they can fit. I'm thinking you put those on stands on either side of the TV and keep the control/bass module under the TV for a nice little 2.1 without the need for an AVR.
Let us know some of your thoughts.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You should consider a rug or 2 on the floor in front of your TV. With the hardwood and so many other hard surfaces the sound won't be optimal.

Also, Bose is way overpriced and under performs. I suggest staying away from them.

carlosC

Auditioning
Thanks everyone, I was looking at the KEF t305 3.1 system. I think that should fit ok. Thoughts?

carlosC

Auditioning
Unfortunately I can't change the set up of the room - this is the only set up that works. Otherwise the couch blocks the pathway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks