What's new

Buying A House, Owner want to sell home Home Theater (1 Viewer)

Rick Nickolai

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick Nickolai
Hi,

I recently placed an offer on a home and the current home owner ask if we wanted to purchase the home theater. I don't know anything about home theater projectors.

The projector he has and wants to sell is a JVC DLA-X30 BU..

The price he mentioned is $8000 for everything includes receiver, sub woofers, speakers in the ceiling, screen ..even the curtains on the wall .. I attached pictures to give you guys some idea..I know nothing about this so I didnt even look at what type of receiver its was, he said Yamaha.. Im hoping if you guys can give me a ball park figure if this is worth it .or if for the money i can get better . I asked him to play it, everything seems to look fine and picture looked great. any help or ideas you can give I will listen to .. I just dont want to be buying a IPhone 5 when i can get a Iphone 6 plus for same money or little more.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 7.08.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 7.08.25 PM.png
    767.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 7.08.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 7.08.15 PM.png
    703.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 7.08.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 7.08.06 PM.png
    825.3 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_5837.JPG
    IMG_5837.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5838.JPG
    IMG_5838.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 103

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's a 2012 PJ
http://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-DLA-X30.htm

Out of production. Current value: sub $1k.

You don't list what the speakers and receiver are but the resale value on them are very low.

I'd probably not spend more than $3k on something of similar vintage. You can definitely get an awesome PJ in 2016 for $2500 or less, nice speakers and receiver for the remaining $5500, but the convenience of getting a fully working setup to someone who doesn't know what they are doing is definitely work a few K, but nowhere near 8k unless they are 10-15k speakers to start.

Ask them to give you a rough estimation of the retail cost and knock 20% of cost off per year. For 4 year old gear you should spend no more than 35% of the total retail cost in my book, UNLESS you really want a turn key system you don't have to research, in that case go to 50%.

Just my nutter opinion.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi,

I recently placed an offer on a home and the current home owner ask if we wanted to purchase the home theater. I don't know anything about home theater projectors.

The projector he has and wants to sell is a JVC DLA-X30 BU..

The price he mentioned is $8000 for everything includes receiver, sub woofers, speakers in the ceiling, screen ..even the curtains on the wall .. I attached pictures to give you guys some idea..I know nothing about this so I didnt even look at what type of receiver its was, he said Yamaha.. Im hoping if you guys can give me a ball park figure if this is worth it .or if for the money i can get better . I asked him to play it, everything seems to look fine and picture looked great. any help or ideas you can give I will listen to .. I just dont want to be buying a IPhone 5 when i can get a Iphone 6 plus for same money or little more.

With respect to my friend Sam, we don't have enough info on whether that $8000 is reasonable. I've got a few questions:
  • What is "everything" and how much work will it take to replace it? If that includes window treatments, in-ceiling speakers and custom-fit screen, what else might be included? If you turn decline, will the room be gutted and you spending months looking for the right furnishings and equipment to restore the room to an attractive and functional space?
  • Are all the speakers in the ceiling? Are they custom fit or is it trivial to replace them?
  • The screen: is it custom fit? Can you buy a commercial screen today that fits in the space readily?
  • You need to consider your personal balance of DIY effort vs budget, and out of pocket cost vs 30-yr mortgage cost. What's better for you: $8000 in the form of $10/month mortgage addition, vs $8000 out of pocket and the process of researching, shopping, installing, and integrating a new system?
  • Finally, is this a motivated seller or are you buying in a seller's market? If you want to keep the gear, this of course affects your negotiating position.

I recommend:
  • Get a complete list of everything that would convey with the home purchase from that $8000.
  • Determine if anything is uniquely fitted or otherwise difficult to replace within the room
  • Depending on the quality and budget, it might be worth breaking the purchase up: Keep room furnishings, the screen and speakers. Don't buy used electronics: AVR and Projector are easily and affordably upgraded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks