What's new

Legends of Tomorrow (Season 2) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The second season of the timewarping DC ensemble series will premiere Thursday, Oct. 13 at 8/7c on The CW.

Season 1 thread

The first season ended with the final death of Vandal Savage, the destruction of the Time Masters who'd aided and abetted him (leading to Captain Cold's heroic self-sacrifice), the departure of a reunited Hawkman and Hawkgirl and the arrival of Hourman with a dire warning about the team's future.

Joining the team this go-round will be:
They will face off against the Legion of Doom, the ranks of which include:
  • Matt Letscher as Eobard Thawne a.k.a. the Reverse Flash: a fiendish villain from the future, he was the Flash's arch-nemesis before his ancestor took his own life to prevent him from ever existing.
  • John Barrowman as Malcolm Merlyn: a nearly unparalleled fighter and titan of industry whose intelligence is only surpassed by his unhinged fanaticism. His attack on Starling City got his son killed, and his selfishness and brutality have led to his daughter's rejection, while a scheme by Oliver Queen deprived him of the mantle of Ra's al Ghul, leader of the League of Assassins.
  • Neal McDonough as Damien Darhk: a master of dark sorcery, he was executed by Oliver Queen before he could use the world's nuclear arsenal to wipe out humanity once and for all.
  • Wentworth Miller as Captain Cold: a brilliant but ruthless thief, his time among the Legends of Tomorrow led to his redemption and, ultimately, his death.
Richardson-Sellers, Zano and Letscher will all be series regulars next season. Barrowman and Miller have special contracts wherein they are credited as series regulars on any of the CW DC superhero series in which they appear, for the episodes in which they appear. Neal McDonough has a special status, in which he receives a "special appearance by" credit for the episodes in which he appears.

The Legends of Tomorrow will be aided by the Justice Society of America. In addition to the already introduced Hourman, the JSA's ranks include Obsidian, Stargirl and Dr. Mid-Nite (casting yet to be announced).

Comic-Con Season 2 First Look:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had dropped the show due to the insufferable romantic antics going on among the team, but I may give this new incarnation another chance, especially since Bones won't be coming back until 2017 (and then at 9 rather than at 8).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
TVLine interview with the showrunners (Marc Guggenheim and Phil Klemmer), returning castmembers (Brandon Routh, Dominic Purcell, Victor Garber, Franz Drameh, Caity Lotz and Arthur Darvill) and new cast members (Nick Zano and Maisie Richardson-Sellers):

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
So, 3 of the 4 Legion of Doom are dead in 2016 in the nominal timeline. I wonder if this will intersect with the Flashpoint timeline? I hope this all makes some sense.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"Millennium's" Lance Henriksen will play Justice Society of America member Obsidian

New poster of Maisie Richardson-Sellers as the 1940s era Vixen:
LegendsOfTomorrow_S02_001.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Last post before the new season begins next Thursday. A positively epic new extended promo:

• The Justice Society of America
  • Oliver Queen
  • Dinosaurs
  • Nazi nukes
  • Albert Einstein
  • The return of Jonah Hex
  • Confederate zombies
  • Samurai
  • French Musketeers
  • Damien Dark meets the Reverse Flash
  • Barry Allen circa 2056
  • A four-way crossover with Supergirl, The Flash and Green Arrow

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
In some ways, I think I'd enjoy this show more as a stand alone than as part of the Arrowverse. The Legends gallivanting through time, getting into ridiculous situations and having slapstick adventures with historical figures is fun. But when it ties into the events and characters of the other Arrowverse shows rooted in 2016, I spend a lot of time trying to make sense of a show that isn't terribly worried about making sense.

Basically every time they interfere with history, it should rewrite time for the other shows in ways big and small. Certainly the Flash's tiniest alterations to the timeline have had cataclysmic ripple effects back in the present. The Legends of Tomorrow make much bigger changes, and the impacts are mostly ignored by the other shows.

In some ways, this season is more problematic than ever, since the two villains introduced so far -- Damien Darhk and Reverse Flash -- were both season long Big Bads on "Arrow" and "The Flash" respectively. So any of their interactions with the Legends should have far reaching impacts of the histories of both shows. But they won't, because the writers can't count on viewers of one show watching all of the others.

That being said, there are at least good explanations for the why of it all: In going back in time to save his mother, Barry interrupted the series of events that led to the Reverse Flash being trapped with limited powers in March 2000. As a result, he was free to run rampant through time and space (though that in turn should have undid all of the events of "The Flash" going back to the pilot, since the Reverse Flash's machinations to get back to his own time underpinned the entire first season of that show). And "Arrow" showed that Damien Darhk has been alive for a very long time, so it makes sense that he'd be available as an eager partner for Reverse Flash. But, again, such a drastic change to his past should have overwritten the events of the entire fourth season of "Arrow", at the very least.

The writers of these shows just don't take time travel seriously, or apply the rules they establish uniformly. And that's an especially big problem for a show that's centered around time travel.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It was interesting seeing two Stephen Schwartz stars interact - Pippin and Jesus.

John Rubinstein (Einstein) was the original Pippin on Broadway. Victor Garber played the lead in the film Godspell

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The writers of these shows just don't take time travel seriously, or apply the rules they establish uniformly. And that's an especially big problem for a show that's centered around time travel.

I was just wondering why the Flash can't seem to time travel without upsetting history dramatically, but the LoT gang can move through history every week and everything seems okay.

I prefer the X-Men Days of Future Past kind of time travel: Wolverine goes back in time, fixes things, history is changed for the better.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
In some ways, this season is more problematic than ever, since the two villains introduced so far -- Damien Darhk and Reverse Flash -- were both season long Big Bads on "Arrow" and "The Flash" respectively. So any of their interactions with the Legends should have far reaching impacts of the histories of both shows. But they won't, because the writers can't count on viewers of one show watching all of the others.

That being said, there are at least good explanations for the why of it all: In going back in time to save his mother, Barry interrupted the series of events that led to the Reverse Flash being trapped with limited powers in March 2000. As a result, he was free to run rampant through time and space (though that in turn should have undid all of the events of "The Flash" going back to the pilot, since the Reverse Flash's machinations to get back to his own time underpinned the entire first season of that show). And "Arrow" showed that Damien Darhk has been alive for a very long time, so it makes sense that he'd be available as an eager partner for Reverse Flash. But, again, such a drastic change to his past should have overwritten the events of the entire fourth season of "Arrow", at the very least.
I'm quite confident that Reverse Flash's appearance is a direct consequence of the Flashpoint episode - maybe the whole season of Legends are his "adventures" which will now leave him drained to become Harrison Wells in S1 of Flash? I hope they address this somehow.

They did explain that Darhk used the Lazarus Pit - I don't remember hearing that explicitly before.

Once again just about all of the previews took place in the first episode, just like in The Flash

I am excited that they will meet up with the JSA next episode.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The season two premiere was a lot of fun, really exciting and set up what is hopefully a great season. I love that the show doesn't take itself too seriously, but at the same time tries to acknowledge continuity (Laurel's death, for example). It's like the polar opposite of the DC film franchise. This was a crackling good time.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This show is gong to have a hard time the topping the first two episodes of season two.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed the depiction of the Justice Society of America here. The dialogue felt straight out of forties adventure serials, and all of the actors cast were able to pull it off with aplomb.

Maisie Richardson-Sellers's Amaya and Nick Zano's Nathan Heywood represent such an upgrade from Hawkgirl and Hawkman last season. They're real actors, and their characters have real motivations instead of just a half-baked cosmic destiny.

That being said, I'm not sure I bought Amaya undercover at a Nazi party in German-occupied Paris. Strange that they'd be racist toward Jax but completely indifferent to her. And as awesome as it was to hear Victor Garber sing "Edelweiss", I can't really see a room full of Nazis so enthusiastic about an anthem of Austrian nationalism, even if it was created for a musical that hasn't been written yet.

Didn't really miss Rip Hunter, to be honest. Sara made a pretty good team leader.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
So, Eobard wipes out Hourman which ripples forward in time so the Legends see him vanishing. It is a bit weird how these time changes go forward. I wonder if they are going to fix this before the season is through. Barry has even more to answer for now.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I've been down on this show for most of its run, but I actually really enjoyed tonight's episode. Of the four CW supehero shows, I'd actually rank this episode just behind "The Flash" for the week (and "The Flash" had its best episode in a long, long time).

One thing I'm discovering is that the less I know about a given place and time in history, the less bothered I am when the show blithefully runs roughshod over the historical record. I know next to nothing about 17th century Japan, so I could just relax and enjoy the show.

The current configuration of the team is really enjoyable; it has a real "Baa Baa Black Sheep" vibe, reinforced by Sara Lance's leadership of the team. Much like Robert Conrad on that show, she's rough around the edges during the down times but is very effective at pulling the team together when it's crunch time. Caity Lotz took what was supposed to be a finite recurring arc on "Arrow" and crafted one of the most compelling characters in the Arrowverse. This show at times has been a little too willing to coast on her just kicking ass and bedding women, so it's nice to see this new role within the team allow her to play more colors of a very dynamic character.

I liked Ray better in this episode, even though he still got his mope on a little too much. Hopefully the destruction of the Atom suit will pave the way for a newer, less goofy looking model.

I'm enjoying both of the new additions to the team. Nick Zano is a lot of fun as Citizen Steel, and his background as a historian helps fill in some of the gaps created by Rip Hunter's absence. Maisie Richardson-Sellers continues to bring more and more to Amaya, and I adored her scenes with Rory.

And now I really want to know what Barry Allen circa 2056 didn't want the team to hear.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
And now I really want to know what Barry Allen circa 2056 didn't want the team to hear.
What is weird about this is that it was locked in this hatch (no Desmond there, unfortunately). So, Rip must have heard it and put it away. Now, what timeline did it come from? And has the message been changed due to the ripples in time?

Also, and we got the deep origin of Katana.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks