What's new

Having Trouble Choosing a Projector (1 Viewer)

ClayM325

Auditioning
Real Name
Clay Morgan
Hello everyone, I am converting my barn into a man cave and decided to put a projector in there. The room is 24x24, but has a large beam in there in the middle. Seating will be about 12-15' away. So I think I am going to go with a 120" screen. There is some ambient light in the room from 2 windows that are on an adjacent wall to where the screen is. I want to be able to have some light on while using the projector, as it will be used mainly for football, and don't want to have it completely dark in the room. Wont have a ton of light but just wont be completely dark. Is this possible, especially at 120"? Which projector should I go with. Budget is 2k. I was set on the Epson 1440 but then realized that it is 16:10 and I'm kinda worried about that. Would the 5030 have enough power? ANy other suggestions?

ALso have the option of a 79" 4k LG I found online for $2400 so that's an option as well.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
If you want it for sports and not movies, I would go with a big TV, not a projector. Projectors look the best in total darkness.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It's definitely a preference thing, but I might be inclined to agree with Stephen if you're going to be using it just for sports - a television might be better.

That said, I have the Epson 5030, and I don't have a completely light controlled room. I almost always watch movies late at night, so the room isn't a big deal for me, but for the handful of times I've watched something during the day when the room wasn't totally dark, I was still able to use it without a problem. For sports in particular, I think the Epson 5030 would be capable of delivering a very bright image even without total darkness. It'll look better in the dark for sure.

When I was shopping for mine, it turned out that the Best Buy Magnolia showcase rooms had that projector on display, and I was actually able to go to the store and see it in action. I'm not sure if they still offer it, but it might be worth making some phone calls to local stores to see if anyone has a unit on display you can go see. Ultimately it's a rather personal decision for each of us about which compromises we can and can't make, which is why I always try to suggest at least seeing a projector or two in action before committing to getting one.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
If you want to go big a projector is really the only way to go and there's a huge difference between watching a game on an 80" display vs a 120".. My room won't be completely dark either and I just purchased the Epson 5030UB for under 2K. Based on my research this projector can produce a bright picture even if the rooms not completely dark. Even my old 1000 lumens 720P Infocus did a decent job with the lights dimmed.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Just watched The Black Stallion with a group of friends the other afternoon in my dark, but not "darkened," movie man cave. It was 4pm and there was definitely a bit of sunlight peeking in. But my trusty Epson 5030 handled it beautifully. I highly recommend this unit, as I've said before. And I think Brother Josh would agree. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks