What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ 'Neath the Arizona Skies -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Harry Fraser's 'Neath the Arizona Skies is a typical B western c. 1934, that probably has only survived in good condition because of the connection to an early western star named John Wayne -- who wouldn't actually become John Wayne until 1939.

Mr. Wayne was actually in over 50 films before Arizona Skies, and over 20 more, before he became the screen persona known to all, in John Ford's Stagecoach.

Director Fraser had been working in film since 1915, first acting, and then directing, beginning in 1925, and much likeMr. Wayne, Arizona Skies was his 60-somethingth film.

He wrote a film to which I own the right, but which I doubt anyone would wish to see, a 1930 serial entitled The Lone Defender, starring Rin Tin Tin, in one of his earliest all-barking appearances.

Derived from a quality 35mm element, 'Neath the Arizona Skies looks quite good for what it is -- a film produced on a budget approximately equal to two cartons of cigarettes.

Shirley Jeanne / Jean / Jane? Rickert, is Wayne's 8 year-old sidekick, and will be recalled as a Roach Little Rascal. Yakima Canutt, best known for his stunts also appears along with western stalwart, George "Gabby" Hayes.

Olive's Blu-ray is a pleasant looking affair, with decent gray scale and resolution. No real problems, but not a stunner, either.

For those who can't get enough of B westerns on Blu-ray, here's your potential Hitler.

Image - 3.25

Audio - 4

4k Up-rez - 3.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Thanks for the review Robert. I'm so pleased Olive Films is dipping into Monogram's 16 Lone Star westerns starring John Wayne. I hope this is the first release of all 16. My BD is due to arrive Tuesday. I've seen this film dozen of times, but have a strong feeling this will be the best presentation of it yet!

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Been watching this film for 25+ years, and never have I seen it presented in such immaculate shape! Thank you so much Olive Films, and please continue to release more Lone Star westerns!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
cant wait, and after that review, I can only hope they continue with the Lone Star Westerns, really want Randy Rides Alone. 2 cartons worth production values, now is that in 1934 money, or 2 cartons in New York city now, because that would put this budget at close to $300.00

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks