What's new

UPDATE The Abyss and True Lies --4K Now Possibly In 2019 (See Post #69) (1 Viewer)

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Well, it was news to me .Did'nt see news on other thread .

Last edited:

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
Despite all the restoration work that's going to happen, think it will still be in Letterbox Widescreen?

YanMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yannick
It's true. It's real. It's happening!

OK Ron, I have to ask...

Way back in 2013 or 2014 we had a thread speculating if The Abyss was going to be announced at ComicCon that year. After no announcement, I recall you chimed in and mentioned that you had recently had some conversations with some insiders and that we should not expect a release for a LONG time or something to that effect.

So were you made aware back then that a new scan was holding things up, whether due to Cameron's demands or mutual decision with TCFHE?

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I am not exactly seeing confirmation of a 4K UHD Blu-ray disk here. Is one actually expected, or will it be a 2K Blu-ray disk made from a 4K scan?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
In the referenced article Cameron mentions that they're doing a pass for HDR at the same time they're doing the 4K scan, which hints at the possibility of a UHD release... at some point. I think it's important to realize that, while all of this is certainly encouraging news, no official announcement has been made regarding either a Blu-ray or a UHD release of The Abyss. All we have are some comments from The King of the World.

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
In the referenced article Cameron mentions that they're doing a pass for HDR at the same time they're doing the 4K scan, which hints at the possibility of a UHD release... at some point.
Yeah, never say never but I think Fox is making sure that they cover as many potential future releases as they can think of. Considering that this is the first time that Cameron has done anything with The Abyss since he worked on the special edition nearly 25 years ago, it's probably a good idea to cover as many bases as possible.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
OK Ron, I have to ask...

Way back in 2013 or 2014 we had a thread speculating if The Abyss was going to be announced at ComicCon that year. After no announcement, I recall you chimed in and mentioned that you had recently had some conversations with some insiders and that we should not expect a release for a LONG time or something to that effect.

So were you made aware back then that a new scan was holding things up, whether due to Cameron's demands or mutual decision with TCFHE?

The only thing I was made aware of by Fox is that they wanted to get The Abyss out for quite some time and were aware of the fan demand. The process was being held up because Cameron would have to oversee the transfer and he was tied up with his Avatar films.

I am very surprised that they actually got Cameron to commit to this.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am hoping for a 4K Restoration and for it to be a 4K UHD transfer to 4K UHD Blu-ray. And if they can get True Lies out on 4K UHD Blu-ray I will buy that as well. But it would be huge to get a 4K UHD version of The Abyss!

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
So, it looks like there are glimpses of sunlight, but we're not completely out of the woods yet. Here's Cameron's quote, sourced from Variety:

“We’ve done a wet-gate 4K scan of the original negative, and it’s going to look insanely good,” Cameron said. “We’re going to do an authoring pass in the DI for Blu-ray and HDR at the same time.”

So, the 4K scan has been performed. That's good. The second part of the sentence is more ambiguous. Hard to say if he's actually seen the results of the scan or not. Also, they haven't done any of the color correction yet for the DI, so he'll need to come in and sign off on both the regular and HDR versions. As difficult as it's been so far to tie him to a chair long enough to have that happen, I'd say that early 2017 is still being optimistic.

I'm encouraged, to be sure. I just don't think we should get overly-excited until there's an official announcement from Fox. Still, any news about progress is good news.

Link to the article:
James Cameron On Why ‘Avatar’ Needs Three Sequels and Details on an ‘Abyss’ Blu-ray Release

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks