What's new

Sharkoctopus vs Whalewolf (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So I was channel surfing just now and found this movie on Syfy. OMG, I guess interesting and innovative monsters are hard to come by these days. Came into it mid-movie and within 2 minutes there's the ol' whalewolf. Nice to see that Syfy still believes in showing the monster all the time and in bright sunshine.

Used to be Saturday nights always had these very bad and cheap monster flicks on Syfy but they've been few and far between lately. Where does a go to get a good dose of cheese these days? :lol::lol:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
SyFy's playing a bunch of these clear through next Sunday. Plenty of time to load up on these fun, popcorn style movies all week long. Some get one 1/2 stars, some just one, others get none. I don't know if the zeros mean they weren't rated or is that truly how bad they are?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
SyFy's playing a bunch of these clear through next Sunday. Plenty of time to load up on these fun, popcorn style movies all week long. Some get one 1/2 stars, some just one, others get none. I don't know if the zeros mean they weren't rated or is that truly how bad they are?
Well, they are bad. :rolleyes:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The original Sharktopus was marginally interesting, but the sequels get progressively worse. And while you'd think they'd be able to refine and perfect the creature FX with each film, somehow they manage to get worse. Plus, in this one the Whalewolf looks like a CG cartoon character.

Watching Atomic Shark now. They're not showing as much of the creature in this one, but we're nearly an hour in and there's no explanation or clue as to why the shark is "atomic".

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
While watching Whalewolf last night (often using the 30 second-skip on my DVR) I started to wonder about these movies. They are (with rare exception) all very similar. Low production values, poor scripts, badly directed, and badly acted. I'm thinking acting is bad because they can't afford to pay for better. But here in the Little Rock we have the Arkansas Repertory Theater. A small theater that consistently puts on first rate productions. Many of the actors come from elsewhere and many are local.

The Rep can't be paying the actors big bucks and I figure if we can get good actors here in a small big town, surely they can find good actors in Los Angeles, a big big town without bending the budget. There have got to be hundreds of starving quality actors in the area. Why don't they use them?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The reason they're showing all these movies now is to lead up to another Sharknado movie on Saturday, if I remember correctly.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
While watching Whalewolf last night (often using the 30 second-skip on my DVR) I started to wonder about these movies. They are (with rare exception) all very similar. Low production values, poor scripts, badly directed, and badly acted. I'm thinking acting is bad because they can't afford to pay for better. But here in the Little Rock we have the Arkansas Repertory Theater. A small theater that consistently puts on first rate productions. Many of the actors come from elsewhere and many are local.

The Rep can't be paying the actors big bucks and I figure if we can get good actors here in a small big town, surely they can find good actors in Los Angeles, a big big town without bending the budget. There have got to be hundreds of starving quality actors in the area. Why don't they use them?

My guess is that part of it is simply the 'Ed Wood' treatment - have limited time and money so they need to push product in order to get the movie done (and get paid) so as long as the shot's done, they're happy. Another part that I would bet is bigger than we expect is that they coach the actors to act - the 'Disney Channel' way - you know the over the top way each and every child actor seems to act on that channel.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My guess is that part of it is simply the 'Ed Wood' treatment - have limited time and money so they need to push product in order to get the movie done (and get paid) so as long as the shot's done, they're happy. Another part that I would bet is bigger than we expect is that they coach the actors to act - the 'Disney Channel' way - you know the over the top way each and every child actor seems to act on that channel.
Maybe you're right. Perhaps they are getting what they aim for. If the acting was better the movies would still be bad, but perhaps not bad enough to enjoy for the badness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks