Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
Title: Black Panther (2018)

Tagline: Long live the king

Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Science Fiction

Director: Ryan Coogler

Cast: Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, Lupita Nyong'o, Danai Gurira, Martin Freeman, Daniel Kaluuya, Letitia Wright, Winston Duke, Sterling K. Brown, Angela Bassett, Forest Whitaker, Andy Serkis, Florence Kasumba, John Kani, David S. Lee, Nabiyah Be, Isaach De Bankolé, Connie Chiume, Dorothy Steel, Danny Sapani, Sydelle Noel, Marija Abney, Zola Williams, Janeshia Adams-Ginyard, Maria Hippolyte, Marie Mouroum, Jénel Stevens, Sope Aluko, Stan Lee, Atandwa Kani, Ashton Tyler, Denzel Whitaker, Shaunette Renée Wilson, Christine Hollingsworth, Lucy Hockings, Bambadjan Bamba, Roland Kilumbu, Francesca Faridany, Mark Ashworth, Seth Carr, Jeremy Sample, Alexis Rhee, Alex Hibbert, Trevor Noah, Sebastian Stan, Tahseen Ghauri, Danny Chung, Shad Gaspard, William Cowboy Reed, Michael David Yuhl, Elizabeth Elkins, Raven Wynn, Amechi Okocha, Tony Sears, Timothy Carr, Apollo GT, James Siderits, Travis Love, Lidya Jewett, Alona Leoine, Kinley Fleurejuste, Ofu Obekpa, Michael R. Ciminna, John Y Lee, Byron Coolie, William Walker, Joseph Akharoh Jr., Stanley Aughtry, Raenen Golez, Leo De Rivera, Tevin Beech, Tari Omoro, Andrea Antonio Canal, David Dunston, Emelita T. Gonzalez, Josue Louis-Charles, Isaac Phillips, Jamel Chambers, Michael Christopher Rodney

Release: 2018-02-13

Runtime: 134

Plot: King T'Challa returns home from America to the reclusive, technologically advanced African nation of Wakanda to serve as his country's new leader. However, T'Challa soon finds that he is challenged for the throne by factions within his own country as well as without. Using powers reserved to Wakandan kings, T'Challa assumes the Black Panther mantel to join with girlfriend Nakia, the queen-mother, his princess-kid sister, members of the Dora Milaje (the Wakandan 'special forces') and an American secret agent, to prevent Wakanda from being dragged into a world war.

5793e0ee65d0c.jpg

Director: Ryan Coogler (Creed, Fruitvale Station)
Writers: Joe Robert Cole & Ryan Coogler

Cast:
T'Challa/Black Panther: Chadwick Boseman
Eric Killmonger: Michael B Jordan
Okoye: Danai Gurira
Nakia: Lupita Nyong'o
Ulysses Klaue: Andy Serkis
Everett K Ross: Martin Freeman

Ryan Coogler talking about Black Panther being important in terms of representation and also that gender roles are very different in Wakanda.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/24/comic-con-2016-black-panther-video

Last edited by a moderator:

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
Interesting interview with Chadwick Boseman on Black Panther.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/chadwick-boseman-explains-why-the-black-panther-is-not-1784265557

The thing that I like the most is him being challenged, taking criticism and finding a way to keep his focus and intent intact despite those criticisms. That’s what world leaders have to do. If you waver too much, if you give things away… sometimes you do have to give things away. You might give away something that you intended to give away to make it seem like you’re being accommodating. I think it’s that strategy and strength that I like. It’s not necessarily his physical attributes or anything like that. It’s his mind and being able to maneuver as a leader.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This is neither here nor there, but I read the title of this thread and pictured me as kid reading a comic book entitled Black Panther 2018 with a Miguel O'Hara-esque descendant of T'Challa in a futuristic Wakanda. Hard to believe the years that were futuristic as a kid are the present now.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
I know what you mean. They have films planned for 2020! So my car might be able to drive itself by then, but will it be able to fly?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Black Panther now has an official synopsis:

“Black Panther” follows T’Challa who, after the events of “Captain America: Civil War,” returns home to the isolated, technologically advanced African nation of Wakanda to take his place as King. However, when an old enemy reappears on the radar, T’Challa’s mettle as King and Black Panther is tested when he is drawn into a conflict that puts the entire fate of Wakanda and the world at risk.

http://screenrant.com/black-panther-movie-filming-cast-synopsis/

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
he is drawn into a conflict that puts the entire fate of Wakanda and the world at risk.

I hope that's just synopsis hyperbole. One of the most refreshing things about Marvel's Ant-Man (or Captain America: Civil War, for that matter) was how they weren't playing for "end of the world" stakes - ultimately, I think it becomes a little too one-note if every one of these movies must stop the world from being destroyed. I'm looking forward to seeing this movie, but were it up to me, I'd save the "world peril" stakes for the mega Avengers movies and keep the stakes more localized and smaller for the individual movies.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That's really interesting to me, and I'd totally be on board with that. Because it makes it about the story, and not about which CGI monster can punch the other CGI monster harder.

I think the Marvel movies have generally been pretty okay about this. Even when they do raise the stakes a little, they can do it in a way that doesn't have to feel repetitive. Technically, the entire world was at stake in Doctor Strange, but it felt like a more personal story, and the movie doesn't dwell on scenes of mass destruction. The way Strange defeated the villain was clever and enjoyable.

On the other hand, you look at something like Thor: The Dark World (admittedly the Marvel movie that gets the most crap from people), and the entire world is threatened with destruction by a villain who wants to end all existence and is perfectly content to no longer exist. Not only does that make for a dull villain (no reasoning with someone like that), but the stakes got so huge that it became unbelievable that no one called the Avengers in.
And yet, no one does. Certainly the stakes Thor was against in Dark World were higher than the stakes that brought the Avengers together at the beginning of Age Of Ultron - in that movie, they get together because there's an evil stick that can't be left in the wrong hands. (Oversimplification, I know.) If an evil stick was worth bringing the whole team together, surely the actual destruction of the planet as threatened in The Dark World would pass that threshold. Getting back to the example of Ant-Man, another reason to love that movie: Paul Rudd knows he's in over his head, so he suggests calling the Avengers. Michael Douglas is able to use a funny one-liner to dismiss that suggestion, so the movie can address the existence of the Avengers without needing to use them.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I''m interested in seeing just how technologically advanced Wakanda will be. As for the characters dealing with threats with world wide stakes, that's just part of the genre. It's the hows and whys that are important. I always figured the other heroes were dealing with some other threat at the same time. I'm really looking forward to this movie.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Really looking forward to this. It has the potential to be something really different.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Very Photoshopy...
Yes. I like the concept of the look they are giving here, but his head looks like it is photoshopped onto concept art.

Too bad they didn't go with either a real photo or full on concept art.

The first teaser trailer is supposed to hit the web tonight.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Traler looked really cool. My only issue was the music choice. Hip-Hop? Not a fan of that choice.

Last edited:
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks