What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Spiders & Destiny -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For anyone with a serious interest in cinema history, the early works of Fritz Lang (pre-Metropolis), are as important as the works of Griffith, Murnau, Gance, and a few others.

Having previously only seen Lang's 1919 serial, The Spiders, and 1921 Destiny derived from 16mm materials, finally seeing them from 35mm dupes is a totally different experience.

Both of these films have been added to the Kino library, with well-conceived scores (Destiny performed by a 70 piece orchestra) and proper simulations of original tinning and toning.

These are not your standard issue public domain videos, but rather, properly licensed examples of early cinema masterworks.

The imagery has not been numerically rated, as numbers are inapplicable to these releases. I can only tell you that both are the finest that I've had the pleasure to see.

Image - n/a

Audio - n/a

4k Up-rez - n/a

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Destiny is incredible, a touchstone for Bergman and Bunuel. The restoration, which played theatrically, is outstanding.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Are these on a par with the great image quality in Murnau's Sunrise, or are they rough like Nosferatu? I am interested, but the other Fritz Lang blu-rays have good image quality, so not having any rating at all makes me nervous about blind buying. Kino is so hit and miss. I never know if I'm going to get burned with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks