What's new

Mr Deeds Goes to Town - coming later this year (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
ee2f45d9b1931471cbebc5488f4a13fd.jpg

80th Anniversary Digibook

I imagine this will be like the last few Capra releases from Sony and will be available in December

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
So I guess this is Sony's annual Capra film instead as had been speculated, 'Lost Horizon" which is being released in Australia this year. No complaints here. Looking forward to Mr. Deeds.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Update: release date is October 4th...which could mean Lost Horizon does get a release before year end.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town Debuts on Blu-ray Oct. 4 to Celebrate its 80th Anniversary.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Debuts on Blu-ray™ Oct. 4 to Celebrate its 80th Anniversary

MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN

Nominated for 5 Academy Awards, Including Best Picture, Best Actor & Winning for Best Director: Frank Capra

Fully Remastered in 4K & Presented in Collectible Digibook Packaging with an All-New Essay by Film Historian Jeremy Arnold

Bonus Content Includes Commentary by Frank Capra Jr. and the “Frank Capra, Jr. Remembers Mr. Deeds Goes To Town” Featurette

CULVER CITY, Calif. (July 25, 2016) – One of the crown jewels in the Columbia Pictures catalog celebrates its 80thanniversary by debuting on Blu-ray™ when MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN arrives Oct. 4 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, initially available exclusively from Amazon. The Blu-ray, digitally restored and mastered in 4K, will be presented in collectible Digibook packaging, featuring 24 pages of rare photos and an all-new essay by celebrated film historian Jeremy Arnold. Originally released in 1936, MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN was nominated for 5 Academy Awards with Frank Capra winning for Best Director, and follows Longfellow Deeds (Gary Cooper), a simple-hearted Vermont tuba player, who inherits a fortune and has to contend with opportunist city slickers.

Bonus content includes the featurette “Frank Capra Jr. Remembers Mr. Deeds Goes to Town,” in which the son of the famous director offers insight on his father’s technique, the motivation of the actors and the production of the film; a vintage advertising gallery and commentary by Frank Capra Jr.

SYNOPSIS:

Longfellow Deeds (Gary Cooper), a resident of small-town Vermont, leads a simple life until he inherits a vast fortune from a late uncle. Soon, unscrupulous lawyer John Cedar (Douglas Dumbrille) brings Deeds to New York City, where the unassuming heir is the object of much media attention. When wily reporter Babe Bennett (Jean Arthur) gains the trust and affection of Deeds, she uses her position to publish condescending articles about him -- but are her feelings for him really that shallow?

Blu-ray Bonus Features Include:

§ Commentary by Frank Capra Jr.

§ “Frank Capra Jr. Remembers... Mr. Deeds Goes to Town” Featurette

§ Vintage Advertising Gallery

§ Original Theatrical Teaser

MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN has a running time of 115 minutes and is not rated.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I am very happy. Hopefully they release LOST HORIZON as well. It would be nice to have had an interview with Adam sandler and compared the two versions.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I just got around to watching this tonight. What a beautiful transfer! By far, it's the best I have ever seen this film look. And Cooper's performance holds up so beautifully.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I just got around to watching this tonight. What a beautiful transfer! By far, it's the best I have ever seen this film look. And Cooper's performance holds up so beautifully.
The "Star Trek DS9/Voyager" thread in the TV forum has had me thinking lately about all of the restoration that's done for home video, and how it's securing content for future generations.

Most of us grew up thinking about old movies not as they were when they were released, but with all of the physical damage and problems that cropped up between when they were released and when we first saw them. Seeing old films in subpar shape was part and parcel of seeing old films. The kids being born now won't have that same experience.

Long after this Blu-Ray release is forgotten, there will be a remarkably pristine 4K presentation of Mr. Deeds Goes to Town available to audiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks