What's new

Video Card: DVI out to Monitor, HDMI out to JUST audio? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So I have a new 980TI, I have my old 1080p monitor hooked up via DVI, it works fine. I have 2 display ports and an HDMI out on the card. I want to send the HDMI to my receiver for surround sound. Doing that tho it identifies that I now have 2 monitors hooked up, despite the fact that there is no monitor past the receiver. Worse, it makes the HDMI display display #1. So I can see the black background of Display 2, and see all of the stuff in my menu bar, but I can't tell the settings window to swap to display #2! And I can't reverse them because I don't have a display to swap to.

I could hook up an HDMI monitor to it temporarily but where is the fun in that? Anyone got an easier more permanent fix?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
So I have a new 980TI, I have my old 1080p monitor hooked up via DVI, it works fine. I have 2 display ports and an HDMI out on the card. I want to send the HDMI to my receiver for surround sound. Doing that tho it identifies that I now have 2 monitors hooked up, despite the fact that there is no monitor past the receiver. Worse, it makes the HDMI display display #1. So I can see the black background of Display 2, and see all of the stuff in my menu bar, but I can't tell the settings window to swap to display #2! And I can't reverse them because I don't have a display to swap to.

I could hook up an HDMI monitor to it temporarily but where is the fun in that? Anyone got an easier more permanent fix?
I don't use GeForce but with a radeon card you can boot to one monitor and then swap to the other one (in my case it was to VGA and then HDMI via receiver). I'm going to assume that the reason you are not connecting to the monitor via HDMI is because the monitor does not have an HDMI port?
If it does, you can hook up the monitor through your amp via HDMI

If the monitor does not have an HDMI input, you can get a DVI to HDMI converter cable (make sure the DVI end of the cable is the opposite sex from the DVI connection on your monitor :cool:) and have the HDMI come out of the amp.
0003957_1-meter-328-ft-hdmi-to-dvi-d-cable_400.jpeg

I assume the amp is connected to another HDMI monitor and if so, you can get an HDMI splitter box if your receiver doesn't have two HDMI outs.

Keep in mind you will want to turn the monitor on before turning on the the computer! As well always have the receiver input set the the computer input before you turn on your computer
yuyxzb1417487830672.jpg

Don't forget to enable Audio thru HDMI in the sound settings on your computer

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Thanks for the detailed reply. Turns out you can hit win-P and arrows to move open apps between displays. I'm going to do that tonight and will renumber them, that should work sans hardware purchases

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks