What's new

Question about matching speakers? (1 Viewer)

AdamtheNewbie

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
So, I'm fairly sure I already know the "correct" answer to this question, but I want to make sure. So a couple years ago I bought Polk Monitor 40 Bookshelf (dual 5.25 drivers with 1" tweeter) speakers. Then I put my project on hold. Recently I ordered a Polk CS2 center channel speaker (dual 6.5 drivers with 1" tweeter). Then I found a deal on Newegg for Polk Monitor 60s (triple 5.25 drivers with 1" tweeter) for $99 each. So I plan on buying a 7.2 receiver. Something along the lines of this http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIA3JX3AK7224 . And I think I'll be getting either 2 Polk psw505 or 2 Klipsch reference 10" subs. Question is, would it be unwise to purchase another brand of surrounds to complete my set? If not, any recommendations? If so, should I get another Monitor 40 pair? Or another pair by polk? Thanks a lot for any feedback.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I own a bunch of Polk Monitor series speakers in different systems, and they're a great bargain. I don't see any reason to go with something else to complete your system. You just might have to go with x5 models rather than the x0. What I'm saying is, why would you go to a mismatched speaker when you don't have to?

Now, regarding subs, I highly recommend getting one better sub rather than two cheaper ones. A $500 sub will always blow away (2) $250 ones. With careful placement and calibration, one sub will disappear and better is ALWAYS preferable to more when it comes to subs in this price range. Go with a specialized sub manufacturer also. Look as Hsu, Power Sound Audio or SVS.

AdamtheNewbie

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
I own a bunch of Polk Monitor series speakers in different systems, and they're a great bargain. I don't see any reason to go with something else to complete your system. You just might have to go with x5 models rather than the x0. What I'm saying is, why would you go to a mismatched speaker when you don't have to?

Now, regarding subs, I highly recommend getting one better sub rather than two cheaper ones. A $500 sub will always blow away (2) $250 ones. With careful placement and calibration, one sub will disappear and better is ALWAYS preferable to more when it comes to subs in this price range. Go with a specialized sub manufacturer also. Look as Hsu, Power Sound Audio or SVS.

I greatly appreciate your post. Honestly, I don't know why I have such an urge to get a different pair to go with the complete monitor set up. Maybe it's because these are the only nice speakers I've owned besides a Logitech thx certified 2.1 system (for different uses), and some subwoofers in my car. I am a newbie, hence the name. I think the wise decision would be to complete the Polk monitor set up. But I'm glad you told me about the sub situation cause I was most definitely gonna get two cheaper subs rather than a nice one. Im looking at Klipsch subs if I'm gonna get a single quality subwoofer. Or do you think the Polk psw505 would be sufficient? It's 250 watts RMS (I think) and a 12" driver. About 200-300 bucks depending on where you look. I feel like the klipsch may be a better choice, as long as it's in my budget. If you have any other brand/line recommendations please let me know. Thanks a lot!

AdamtheNewbie

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
I greatly appreciate your post. Honestly, I don't know why I have such an urge to get a different pair to go with the complete monitor set up. Maybe it's because these are the only nice speakers I've owned besides a Logitech thx certified 2.1 system (for different uses), and some subwoofers in my car. I am a newbie, hence the name. I think the wise decision would be to complete the Polk monitor set up. But I'm glad you told me about the sub situation cause I was most definitely gonna get two cheaper subs rather than a nice one. Im looking at Klipsch subs if I'm gonna get a single quality subwoofer. Or do you think the Polk psw505 would be sufficient? It's 250 watts RMS (I think) and a 12" driver. About 200-300 bucks depending on where you look. I feel like the klipsch may be a better choice, as long as it's in my budget. If you have any other brand/line recommendations please let me know. Thanks a lot!
Oh I just noticed the price points you gave me. So obviously the Polk 505 would fall under that lower category. I like the looks of the klipsch r112sw. 300w/600w, 12" copper spun driver and 188db sensitivity (I believe). Or the r10sw. And I I wanna spend a little extra I could get the r12 or r110/r10. Have you ever listened to klipsch subs?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Stay with the same speaker series. You have almost a full set of Polk Monitors, so no reason to go with something different. It's best when all the speakers are matched.

As far as Subs, I'd go with a brand that specializes in subs. Most others here will suggest the same thing. Stay away from the main speaker brands because you'll pay double for what you can get from a sub manufacturer. For years, in the $200 range the BIC F12 has generally been the winner. It's a very good sub for the price. It has excellent extension and performs well if it's set up right. No sub in this price will shake the house. I have them in both my Polk Monitor systems. Still, this Dayton looks like it may have raised the bar. I don't really keep up on subs that much. If I was going to replace my SVS, I'd probably go with a Power Sound Audio, but they seem to start at $900. Since you're starting out, I'd stick with one of those $200 models I linked above. The $500 range seems to be lacking, but this Hsu is probably a really good place to look.

AdamtheNewbie

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Stay with the same speaker series. You have almost a full set of Polk Monitors, so no reason to go with something different. It's best when all the speakers are matched.

As far as Subs, I'd go with a brand that specializes in subs. Most others here will suggest the same thing. Stay away from the main speaker brands because you'll pay double for what you can get from a sub manufacturer. For years, in the $200 range the BIC F12 has generally been the winner. It's a very good sub for the price. It has excellent extension and performs well if it's set up right. No sub in this price will shake the house. I have them in both my Polk Monitor systems. Still, this Dayton looks like it may have raised the bar. I don't really keep up on subs that much. If I was going to replace my SVS, I'd probably go with a Power Sound Audio, but they seem to start at $900. Since you're starting out, I'd stick with one of those $200 models I linked above. The $500 range seems to be lacking, but this Hsu is probably a really good place to look.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check them out! So far while I was browsing the internet today, I've really been interested in the Polk psw505 12" and the klipsch r-10sw 10". Both are about 200. I'll take a look at those you posted. What do you think about the two I mentioned?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would never, ever buy a Polk sub. Klipsch is better, but still seriously overpriced.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I can tell you from 15+ years experience that matching a sub to your brand of main speakers is a non issue. Go with a sub from a company that specializes in them and you will be very happy. As John Rice said, Hsu or SVS gets my vote too!

AdamtheNewbie

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
The only reason I'm considering the klipsch is because it's 350 on every site except for one where I can get it for 199. I thought it was a pretty good price for a 10" sub with 112db sensitivity

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, the BIC has a 12" driver vs 10" on the Klipsch and more power for about the same price, but I get the distinct impression you prefer a recognizable brand name. The best performance and value in subs will never be a brand name many people have heard of. So, I guess you just need to decide if you want to look at the name plate or listen to it.

AdamtheNewbie

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Well, the BIC has a 12" driver vs 10" on the Klipsch and more power for about the same price, but I get the distinct impression you prefer a recognizable brand name. The best performance and value in subs will never be a brand name many people have heard of. So, I guess you just need to decide if you want to look at the name plate or listen to it.
Yeah. I guess you're right. Not sure why. I guess I feel more comfortable buying from a company I've heard of more than a couple times. Although if you all really think something like the stf 2 would be significantly better than the ones I mentioned, I may just give it a shot. I may be hesitant because this will be my subwoofer whether I like it or not. I can't really buy another one if I don't like it. So I guess that's why. Thanks

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Although if you all really think something like the stf 2 would be significantly better than the ones I mentioned

I posted on your other thread and recommended the HSU STF-2 as an option for a good sub less than $400. The BIC F-12 is a good sub on all accounts in the $200ish range but if you have more budget the STF-2 is the first real deal sub you can get with less than $400. It has a solid amp and very good performance to match. You shouldn't have to upgrade that sub anytime soon as it should give plenty of volume and goes to 25Hz (in room should be lower) so you're not missing out on much as far as frequency goes. With it being on sale right now I think this probably one of the best ways to spend your money on a sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks