What's new

Best HDR Demo Material (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Since we can finally see both DV and HDR10 on the Vizio M and P series starting today I've had my HDR library expand explosively. Finding the best demo scenes can be a challenge, so I'd like to hear what you guys think are the best and I'll add mine too.

Amazon Prime (these links will only take you to the 1080p version, you have to go to the Prime Video app on your device to get the UHD HDR versions)
Van Gogh: Brush with Genius
SIMPLY AMAZING.
https://www.amazon.com/Van-Gogh-Gen...=UTF8&qid=1469759774&sr=1-1&keywords=van+gogh

Imax Coral Reef Adventures:
Fun, colorful, educational, and Crosby Stills Nash music:
https://www.amazon.com/Coral-Reef-A...TF8&qid=1469759911&sr=1-1&keywords=imax+coral

Netflix:
Marco Polo
Tons of great scenes. I like the wolf attack in the woods episode, I am looking for the episode number.

Vudu:
Mad Max Fury Road (DV)
I loved this on Vudu, I will be checking it out in HDR 10 tomorrow once I get my Atmos speakers hooked up =)

UHD disks:
I've got 25 to go through. I will be starting with Mad Max, then the Revenant, and then BvS. Will report back!

What's yours???

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
My favorite discs:

The Martian
Star Trek (both of them)
The Revenant (boring movie but looks very pretty)
The Kingsman
Journey to Space (Over price right now)

This would be a good starting point but, honestly I have not been disappointed by any of the 31 discs I have other then Hancock.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Since we can finally see both DV and HDR10 on the Vizio M and P series starting today I've had my HDR library expand explosively. Finding the best demo scenes can be a challenge, so I'd like to hear what you guys think are the best and I'll add mine too.

UHD disks:
I've got 25 to go through. I will be starting with Mad Max, then the Revenant, and then BvS. Will report back!

What's yours???
As someone who will hopefully be joining the growing number of UHD enthusiasts over the next few months, I'm looking forward to reading your opinions on various 4K Blu-rays and their implementation of HDR.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Last night I watched Deadpool and didn't really feel like HDR was all that well used. I -really- dug Van Gogh, the colors really popped. IMAX Coral was also brilliantly colored. The one thing that swapping between these different apps reminded me is how shitty both the Samsung's app interface is (WTF can't I put Amazon ahead of the other piece of crap apps nobody uses!!!??!?!) and it's remote are. There is a special place in hell for the guy that designed the cross interface with that recessed ok in the middle. And I say that as an atheist.

My Pioneer Atmos speakers arrived too, so tonight I'll spend more time with disks testing out both Atmos and HDR. Good times!

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I really like the opening scenes in India in Life of Pi. Watching the Bluray again after watching the UHD version, the Bluray appears flat and lifeless. This had not been my opinion prior to watching the UHD version.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yeah the accolades for Pi have me rethinking my self ban on watching it again. No movie has made me quite so angry as that one's ending, which I'll not expand on due to P&R :)

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
Instead of starting a new thread I would like to try and revive this one.

Here is the list I’m just starting to build. I’m not talking about the artistic quality of the movie…. just about the “wow” factor. Audio+Video

Here is the start of my list:

Jurassic Park 4k UHDT-Rex paddock
13 Hours 4k UHDChapter 11-13
Music - Foo Fighters EverlongAcoustic version
Music - R. PidgeonSpanish Harlem
San Andreas Blu-ray16 min mark Hoover Dam. 34 minute mark. First quake in SF.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Encanto (Dolby Vision only on Disney+)
Turning Red (Dolby Vision only on Disney+)
Alien
Vertigo
Days of Thunder

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks