Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
matt-hough

The Gang's All Here Blu-ray Review

gangallheretop.bmp

There is no other wartime musical quite like Busby Berkeley’s The Gang’s All Here: a cornucopia of music, mirth, and mind-blowing visuals with a smidgen of romance thrown in almost as an afterthought.

[review]
Click here to read the original article.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Oh, yes, and....

A journey to a star would not be very far
As long as I'm alone with you
Romantic as we are, a journey to a star
Could start before the dawn breaks through

You're right beside my heart
We're just about a kiss apart
And we could make a dream come true
A moment of your love would have the feeling of
A journey to a star with you.

Just about one of the dreamiest ballads ever sung by Faye or written for the movies!!!

KBG

Auditioning
Real Name
KENT
Can anyone verify if this Twilight Time Blu Ray has been produced from the same Master materials as the Eureaka/Masters of Cinema British Blu Ray. I own them both and swear that the MOC is richer and more saturate... is there a comparison out there anywhere?

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Thanks for the review. There are other commentary tracks by Drew Casper that I find irritating as well. It is unfortunate, as he is clearly very smart, but as some professors are oft prone to do, he appears to love finding meaning where there likely is none. (One of my art history profs said, "Just because a painting portrays someone getting their feet washed does not mean it is a reference to John The Baptist.")

Also, frankly, Casper's crepe paper voice is not one I find appealing to listen to at length. (I haven't gotten through about 1/2 the commentary tracks he's done for some Hitchock films because my ear drums cannot take his voice anymore.)

BUT, this Blu-ray is a delight as is the other commentary track.

Thank Matt (and Twilight Time)!

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Can anyone verify if this Twilight Time Blu Ray has been produced from the same Master materials as the Eureaka/Masters of Cinema British Blu Ray. I own them both and swear that the MOC is richer and more saturate... is there a comparison out there anywhere?
This is a newer master than the MOC.

KBG

Auditioning
Real Name
KENT
Thanks for the response Matt. The question I'm really trying to get answered is if one master is from the Eastmancolor print, which I believe the Twilight Time is, and if the MOC is indeed from one of the few Technicolor dye Prints that were struck, I believe in the Seventies. I will continue to enjoy BOTH disks and am glad to have them. And while I'm here on classic musicals, is anyone looking at, or working on Paramount's Vista Vision ST LOUIS BLUES? with a cast including Nat King Cole, Pearl Bailey, Eartha Kitt and Ella Fitzgerald, many of us want this film!!!!!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I don't think anyone is working on any Paramount films, Vista Vision or otherwise!:) I'd buy a good Blu-ray disc immediately, just to see and hear Eartha Kitt singing Hesitation Blues, possibly the best thing she ever did.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Speaking of Faye, I wish someone would release Alexander's Ragtime Band....
I'm with you, and I wouldn't mind having a chance to see On The Avenue available on Blu either (or any other unreleased-on-Blu Irving Berlin musicals, for that matter)!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I don't think anyone is working on any Paramount films, Vista Vision or otherwise!:) I'd buy a good Blu-ray disc immediately, just to see and hear Eartha Kitt singing Hesitation Blues, possibly the best thing she ever did.
Cough, Cough since Hobby Lobby is putting out their "seasonal" mechandise ...

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
I read somewhere that the Eureka was better than the Twilight Time which I already had. Since I like the film so much I had to see what the Eureka looked like. I found a halfway decent price on amazonuk though still expensive not as ridiculous as available here.

Yes the Eureka is a definite improvement thank goodness. I'd hate to think I threw that much money away. Does it look like it did when it first opened? Probably not but still it is very wonderful. I'm sure the first audiences came out with their eyes burning. I've been watching it a lot and can't get over how wonderful the score is, how funny Horton and Greenwood are, Goodman and Miranda are fabulous and this has to be some of Berkeley's best most exhilarating work. While not a fan of the Polka Dot Polka, a bit too strange(Faye in that silver thing and the floating heads at the end) and a lousy song the Tron sequence though too short is amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks